I would love to see the 'Obsessed' antagonist added to Paradise

Jazzy

I popped on TG and saw an antag mode I didn't know existed.  If you're unfamiliar with Obsessed, you get a set of goals kind of like this:

* Take a picture of John Doe

* Spend at least 5 minutes in close proximity of John Doe while he's alive

* Kill John Doe

When I tried it on TG, it seems like every player in the round was obsessed with someone else.   I would like to see it peppered into another round type, like an early mid-round that rolled for players who are in game.  I imagine maybe one or two people becoming obsessed at 30 minutes in would be a fun way to add some variation to what happens on any normal round.

Spending 15 minutes alone with a psych after being caught could be a way to 'cure' the obsessed person.

I don't know squat about coding in Para but I'm willing to learn and help with this addition if someone could get me started.

• Like 2

I'm going to be real; this might work on tg, but I imagine it might lead to some very uncomfortable interactions for people on paradise. Obsessed is also a little too similar to traitor regardless, albeit with some rather amusing side objectives laced in.

It's interesting to think you're averse to the 'uncomfortable' interactions between a stalker/murderer in one respect, but not another.  Any tot, cling, or vamp may get an assassinate target and choose to stalk/murder their prey.  I know it's happened to me plenty of times, a tot has followed me around, someone I don't even know...  trying to talk to me and be 'friends' only to gun me down later.

• Positives of the obsessed antagonist as I proposed (mid round auto-tot style roll that affects a living character)
    • Provides some excitement for the round to living players
      • One person is now obsessed, has to break away from their normal work to spend time with someone else.  Hard to hide/justify this at times.
      • The victim may start to notice the stalking and attempt to hide/escape/inform security
      • one more thing for sec to deal with
    • Adds some role-play value between players
      • Assailant/victim - Talking to each other as the assailant spends time with the victim to satisfy the goal
      • assailant/psych - Talking to a psych as a security-mandated cure for those who are caught (it would be nice to actually make psych useful for once)
      • assailant/sec - interacting with sec as part of the arrest or investigation
      • victim/sec - same as above
      • sec/sec - Discussing with each other about the security process
    • Having a single victim is not a huge stress to the station, it would be hard for this antag to get out of hand unless someone went to far such as max-cap or bombing, but that's against the rules anyways.
  • Negatives:
    • Some people may be uncomfortable with being stalked or stalking
      • If playing a stalker makes you uncomfortable, don't play it.
      • If you are uncomfortable with being stalked, log out of the game.  Our current antags stalk and murder on a daily basis.
    • This seems similar to a tot role
      • In a sense, yes, it's just an assassin role with amusing goals.
        • I propose they get no TC
        • I propose we make it hard, not a 5 minute spent together goal, but 10 to 15 minimum time.  Multiple pictures, together and alone, Messages via PDA, a piece of clothing?  Make it noticeable so that when you are caught with a photo album that always contains one person in particular, it's undeniable.

I don't propose a carbon copy of their game mode.  I would like to see it executed as an improvement of it, something that adds a bit of spice to a round.  Let it roll at 30 minutes in to see if we even get one or two obsessed people, then roll who gets it.  Doesn't always have to happen, maybe 10 or 15% chance that the round even gets an obsessed.  I think it's a fun idea that might add a bit of extra richness to the game.

Edited by Jazzy

I’ve said before I like the obsessed objective. I don’t think it’s in depth enough for it to be an entire game mode with a bunch of obsessed running around, but I think it’s a really good potential antag objective, ESPECIALLY for traitor and cling to add some flavor to a round. 

There’s a lot you could do with it, and many ways you could implement it. Obviously it’s a WYCI type of thing, but I’d be all for it personally. 

As for the ERP risk, if obsessed is all it takes to get someone to delve into that territory, they were gonna go there eventually regardless of an antag objective IMO. 

I think you and I agree.  It's not enough for a whole game mode, but I bet it would work as a pre-mid-round for living players only, and players with no other role already.

I think rolling it for one or maybe 2 at *most* in any one round would be enough and they should only roll as a once-in-a-while antag, not super often.  All of that keeps it fresh and mysterious, as it should be. 

Again if anyone can help or show me how to get started, or let me help as part of a team, etc.. I'm willing to put effort into this.  I'm not familiar with coding in para but I've written matlab and arduino scripts, so I'm not a total donk pocket.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use