Security police codes/macros

Habalabam

This suggestion is pretty half baked, but I would like to hear people's opinion on it.

When playing as security officer, I think it is impractical and breaks immersion to type out all the different radio messages. Especially in a opportunistic/tactical/pursuit situation.

IRL, police has solved this using police codes.

How about if I write ":s cd4" (code 4 on security channel),

Then the callout on the radio would be like:

"Tim Rathens : Code4 All clear. At starboard primary hallway"

It would spell out the police code including its short name and tack on my current location.

"All clear" is a bad example as it is the time where you usually have the time to type out the conclusion of the call, but you get the idea.

There are tools and config that would allow any individual officer to set it up for him individually. But still the officer location would not be included and it wouldn't be consistent across security.

I suspect that this might be possible to implement by uploading a telecomms script in-game.

What do you guys think?

I think this could be accomplished with a very intricate tcomms script, but it is a good idea.

Tcomms definitely has the ability to replace words or characters with different ones, so you can definitely have it replace pre-defined abbreviations with full words, but not sure if it can pull your location. You can even set scripts on a per-channel basis, so security channel could be the only channel this works on

Calling out location is a major element. However, if Tcomms script were able to accomplish that, then maybe this would open the door to some OP in-game tcomms hacks. I don't know enough about tcomms to make that assessment.

I agree that it may seem like an RP motivated suggestion, but it is really for practical purposes. The added immersion is just a bonus.

This might be a good idea, but I find it more suitable for heavy rp servers.

This suggestion would actually be refused on a HeavyRP/HL2RP server, because of metagaming and less RP involved.

It could be a thing here though.

It certainly is a possibility to have shortforms of radio communication as a matter of convention, but to me it feels wrong. We don't like l33t speak, "u" instead of "you" and whatnot.

IC, the officer is supposed to have reported in the entire message so it would be even more immersion breaking to have other officers asking what "Lph" means IC (or using OOC, which might be considered IC in OOC).

Also, just saying ":s cd4 Lph" would place the responsibility of deciphering the message on the receiver, not just the sender. Therefore it would not be an opt-in model, which I think is important to keep the barrier to entry low.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use