Security Pod Ideas

monkeysfist101

Here's my brainstorm for improvements to the Security Pod and its bay. I don't expect any of these to be added, but it would be a nice touch.

1. Aviators in the locker - What pilot is complete without his signature sunglasses?

2. Pod Integrated Station Bounced Radio - For when the HoS runs down your fuel joyriding before you take off. (Yes, still butthurt)

3. Weapons Free - When Red Alert is called, the pod's weapons should be unlocked.

4. Emag Missile Racks - Making antag pilots terrifying (at least for 2-4 rockets)

5. Goose's Fine Cigars - Unique packet of cigars.

6. Emergency Supplies - Oxygen tank and maybe a hard suit for when you have to eject.

7. Extra Fuel - possible addition of a pump as well

8. Homing Beacon - Auto Pilot back to station z layer

9. That's about it, but it would be wrong to end a list at eight, so...how about a bulldog for HoS named Mitch?

10. Flamethrowers for borgs when Gamma is called?

One thing they really need is a much more interesting podbay.

PodbaySecurity.png

This area looks really good as it balances the blackness of the R-floors with the caution lines, basic flooring and bright blast doors. Also has a very good look with the stairs sloping down into the hangar. Combined with all the tools and equipment it gives the podbay a nice busy look.

If possible, it would be great to get the Goon blast door spites and possibly a full tile podlock, it looks a bit strange so thin.

For the emergency gear, I reckon make some kind of emergency suit like Goon has and give it to pod pilots. Should be rather slow, bulky and unarmored.

I don't think the pod weaponry should require red alert. A pod is the first line of defense and its reasons to fire has very little to do with the other considerations that go into red alert swipe. I do think that there should be an onstation safeguard/weapons override to avoid an antag hijacking the pod holding the station ransom.

Instead of tools you could use flight fluff items, such as a kneeboard or perhaps a few charts and station approach plates. A power cell charger would be nice, but I don’t think you would want any other pod maintenance parts as you would not want to steal work from the mechanic.

As far as weapons and red alert, currently while I don’t know if it works or not the pod is outfitted with a taser, it can be replaced by the mechanic if needed and a more lethal equipment module could be housed in the armory to unlock with the rest of the red alert gear.

How about an addition to space law making it a crime to operate a space pod while not properly licensed or while medically unfit? The Brig Physician could then also have the role of flight surgeon for security.

I wasn't clear on this before.

The pod has a taser and lasers on it, but they are disabled in the code. I meant that the pod should by default have its taser and when Red Alert is called, the pilot would get access to the lethal primary weapon.

Few more ideas after flying a pod around:

Navigation systems. Beacons would help with that but some kind of map or GPS systems would be very useful.

A flight path log/scanner/radar. If I am searching an area it is very difficult to stay on course and properly search. If I had some kind of radar and a basic line tracking of my course it would be great.

Emergency distress beacon. Simple enough, if you get lost/attacked there needs to be some way of getting support. Maybe it could send a rough location signal but it has a very limited power supply.

A huge floodlight that uses power.

Small cargo hold. Biggest thing it should be able to carry is a locker.

The podbay needs a set of assorted tools and some overalls.

...this might be a bit controversial, but I think the Security Pod should have access to lethals right off the bat. Particularly since the Pod Pilot is subject to the same traitor/changeling restrictions as security officers (i.e they can't be one) and they'll most likely be encountering carp and combat drones frequently.

Slight correction, rockets. Code red units should be pretty bad. E-mag should unlock high explosive and incendiary missiles. (Stay on target, stay on target...)

All pods should have a basic flare launcher fitted. Should only start with two rounds though.

Pod beacon deployer, one pod breacon starts in the mechanics, RnD can make more.

Metal foam launcher. Should only be one full unit in the mechanics.

More complex pod systems, multiple areas to damage/repair/refuel.

Hull, shielding, coolant storage, atmospheric seal, life support, electronics, hydraulic, batteries, engines, fuel storage, storage unit and nav systems.

Each system can get damaged and has various affects. Such as a damaged cargo area not storing many items and dropping them.

After a flight, systems may need repairs or more commonly refuelling. Such as space fuel, engine coolant, life support water, bluespace crystal wafers, (for using pod beacons) hydraulic fluid, gas for the engine (oxygen with a tiny bit of plasma, DO NOT USE AS EMERGENCY AIR SUPPLY) life support coolant, air for life support, ect.

The outside of the station needs a massive overhaul. More complex arrays of catwalks and grilles, better walls, solars arrays much further out, imagine a huge mass of lattices extending out from the station to form a rough circle. Good place for a few pod beacons too. It would allow for much better EVA and give pod pilots a rough guide of where the station ends and space starts. Maybe there could be a few assorted rooms aroud the ring as well, like meteor shield gens, T-com relays,

Long range distress/communication equipment.

Give the outside of the station much more life.

Well, theres my shitty, barely coherent suggestion for the day.

Ended up tearing in there and doing just that when the warden got attacked. Damn can those things move fast!

Also, it should be possible, if you are close enough, to lock onto the escape shuttle and get pulled behind it. Mainly a fluff thing though.

As an fyi, the spacepod code is still in the work in progress section of the code, and the code's from a different branch. This makes it very unlikely any coder's going to start playing around with it as any changes would lead to conflicts with updates the original coder makes.

So stuff like the aviators and the cigars could be done, but no changes to the actual pod code are likely until it's moved from work in progress

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on some podbays, you can see what I have made here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2284

Still need to:

Overhaul the mechanics shop/podbay.

Possibly give cargo a podbay.

Give engineering a podbay/airlock.

Improve the arrivals podbay.

Overhaul part of mining and give them a podbay.

I have a few ideas how podlocks could work:

Their basic function is to keep air in but they leak *slightly* and cause the podbays temp to drop, a space heater can counteract it pretty easily though.

Podlocks do not stop items or people moving through them.

Each podbay has blast doors to stop air/heat loss and anyone coming in and stealing gear.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use