Mortician Job

Streaky Haddock

They Spawn in the Morgue, and are tasked with Autopsies and Morgue Management. It will be a mostly brainless but slow-paced job. They start in a suit and lab-coat, and must record the cause of death of every patient, keep a list of everybody who comes into their morgue.

They will alert appropriate departments that their comrade has fallen and retrieve assets/possessions and distribute them back to the departments that are supposed to have them.

They keep a watchful eye over the Morgue, if any morgue trays go green, they drag the body to cloning. If the morgue starts to overfill, they take care of body disposals. The Legal way would be to inform the Chaplain.

Can be very useful to the Detective, Security, Command (for managing how many of their staff is still alive) and Medical.

They may have access to other parts of medbay so they can fill in as a Doctor, but I wouldn't require that.

I too would be strongly behind this idea if they could help out with cloning and organizing the bodies that come in piles by the end of every shift. While that's supposed to be the geneticist's job I've never seen a geneticist help with cloning; all they do is fuck around with powers...

...which leaves cloning to doctors, who by that point are overwhelmed with wounded patients and barely have the time to clone anyone. (See the above image)

With the current sort of numbers we're experiencing and the related number of deaths, this could be a useful role to have on the station. In my experience surgeons rarely have the time to conduct autopsies and many geneticists don't seem to find handling the dead to be a primary concern. A role which combines these two functions could work extremely well.

Good idea.

I'll note that I was working as a QM the other day, and received skeletons (from the morgue) through the disposals system because the morgue was full, so maybe if it was a dedicated job they could take the time to bring them to the chapel/have the chaplain come pick them up, some of my underlings were upset that I was just sending them to the disposals mass driver (we were busy and I didn't want them lying about in the disposals checking room :P).

• 3 months later...

Just give the chef morgue access by default, what could possibly go wrong?

Actually, this is genius. I mean, for starters it'll give the Chef more responsibility, especially if you have a system in place for cross-contamination between dead folks and food.

Secondly, on many naval vessels during times of war, the dead are stored in with the food and respected/looked over by the cooking staff, hence why aboard a ship you remove your hat/cover when entering the galley, so as to pay respect to the departed who may be stored within. It'd give a cool little nod to actual nautical history much like the act of having a Captain as the boss, or the station naming conventions, or the NT officer's uniforms.

Plus, it'd be cool to actually have to lynch a cannibal chef more than once in a blue moon.

I'd suggest giving the Chef job a toggle-able job title like several other jobs have:

Chef, Mortician, Meat-Handler. You know, something that works for the system.

Just give the chef morgue access by default, what could possibly go wrong?

Actually, this is genius. I mean, for starters it'll give the Chef more responsibility, especially if you have a system in place for cross-contamination between dead folks and food.

Secondly, on many naval vessels during times of war, the dead are stored in with the food and respected/looked over by the cooking staff, hence why aboard a ship you remove your hat/cover when entering the galley, so as to pay respect to the departed who may be stored within. It'd give a cool little nod to actual nautical history much like the act of having a Captain as the boss, or the station naming conventions, or the NT officer's uniforms.

Plus, it'd be cool to actually have to lynch a cannibal chef more than once in a blue moon.

I'd suggest giving the Chef job a toggle-able job title like several other jobs have:

Chef, Mortician, Meat-Handler. You know, something that works for the system.

Well, the difference would be that in SS13 we have cloning / revival technology that would essentially mean nobody would die unless they can't find the body / sample of the DNA

All I can think of when suggesting giving the chef morgue access is the chef grinding up people who can still be cloned, not that doctors are actually competent to look at the morgue tray lights to see if anyone is actually available for cloning anyways.

In a world where nobody performs autopsies or pays respects to the deceased due to the miracles of cloning, the morgue is an empty room in a space station full of death.

Honestly, if we're not going to try adding some features to make dead bodies worth keeping around, we should try removing the morgue and using that space for something that will get used.

If there's anything else the job needs to spawn with or anything along those lines, do let me know. They don't spawn in the morgue unfortunately enough, but that's a limitation of alternative titles that's not really worth working around.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use