Bring back lethal weaponry for Gygaxes.

LennethV

Alright, I know how hypocritical this must sound coming from a guy who went on a rampage in one as a Traitor. But please hear me out, because I do feel that this is way too extreme.

The main argument I hear for the removal of the Gygax's lethal weaponry options is that it prevents grief. Well, while I know now that my rampage was grief even as an antag, I honestly haven't come across any other rampages occurring in one. But let's put that aside for a moment, since I'm not on the server 24/7 and there's bound to be things that I missed: I don't see why the Gygax specifically needs to be nerfed. Far too many items on this station can be used for grief, you can flood the station with plasma, set fires using welding tank bombs, release a nasty virus, make chloral hydrate syringe guns or let the singularity loose to name a few. As irritating as these are, I place the blame more on the people who use them this way rather than the tools themselves, and one cannot argue that these are more common occurrences than mech rampages. And yes, I know that the Gygax is specifically a combat mech, and only exists for that purpose, but so does the Durand, which isn't any harder to build, hell I'd argue that it's easier since Silver is more plentiful than Diamond. If someone was really dead set on griefing, they would just build a Durand, and then by this logic we'd have to remove the lethal weaponry on that.

Finally, I can actually name an instance when I was able to use a Gygax for good: Friday July 11th of this year (Hour forgotten), when we had 3 Alien Empresses running loose, and Henderson built a Gygax named Big Tau to combat them (He had to call in about a million favors for the parts, but it was worth it) and went toe to toe with an Empress in a Gygax, killing her by blasting her with the scattershot repeatedly. My only complaint was that I didn't have the time to yell "Get away from her you bitch!". He also fought one on the shuttle, but Sec was there too so it wasn't as awesome. Before you say anything, I COULD have used a Durand, but I much prefer the speed the Gygax offers.

To sum it all up, I don't think this restriction needs to exist, since it wouldn't prevent that much grief, removes a huge part of the rewards of playing a roboticist well, and actively prevents them from pulling off some of the most awesome acts. If you really want to prevent Gygax/Mech suit related grief, may I suggest spawning the lethal weapons in lockboxes or something? That way you can reduce the sinister applications without having to utterly cripple the Mech.

I'm not massively hit by this change, but it did strike me as a bit odd, and I've never had a massive problem with gygaxes having lethal weapons. Especially since roboticists seem to massively prefer Durands in the first place.

As someone who plays roboticist often, that change just seems... Silly.

What else can you even use a gygax for other than Combat? As a delivery mech for cargo? Pfft.

I believe they are attempting to make the Gygax more of a security force mech. As in, non-lethal. The red armory has a Gygax with flashbangs and taser weaponry. Presumably for riot control. Whilst the gamma armory, on the other hand, has a lethal Durand. So the idea is to make Gygax = security and Durand = military. At least i believe so. Correct me if i'm wrong!

I would approve of this change if Roboticists weren't selfish bastards who openly prioritise their own durands before the needs of security.

because fuck the police i guess

I always ask for a gygax as HoS or Warden for my officers to use, and i've never got it. The only person I know who freely hands out mechs to security is Hawke.

Speaking as someone who plays the Roboticist frequently, I should mention that I never get any requests from Security to make mechs or even ED-209s. If I got more requests for them, I would gladly build them, hell I mass produce Ripleys for Mining pretty frequently. But yeah, I still don't see why we need to cripple the Gygax like that.

Maybe there could be two variants of the mech? One security, non leathal red coloured (like it is now) and a olive green (like the fire mech) military version?

Quick question here. What's so important about having a lethal Gygax?

First off, roboticists /aren't/ supposed to have any kind of security mechs. At all. The only reason they'd have one is whilst waiting for the proper authorities to come and pick it up. Otherwise? It may well be considered contraband by Security.

Gygaxes should be built upon security request and at LEAST Research Director approval. They're then to be stored and locked in security for future uses, if required.

Now. Let's say the station goes into Code Red. There's an immediate threat. That shiny Durand chassis you kept? It's time to build it up. This is where lethal weaponry is required.

? I never said robo should have lethal mechs.

Why not have a lethal mech variation? If it was easy enough to upgrade from non-lethal to lethal, robo could build non-lethal mechs during peace and then upgrade when needed.

yeah, i prefer the Gygax too, but i've only used it for xeno fighting and policing.

But isn't that awesome in of itself? Some people prefer the faster Gygax like we do. So yeah, save the Gygax and let it have its glory. True you might get the odd griefer here or there, but it happens so rarely and you guys are usually on top of those things (Hell, you shut me down when I did it. But again, traitor so... it's not QUITE as bad)

'Sides, you try to say that seeing Old Man Henderson do battle with a Xeno Empress in a Gygax isn't one of the most awesome things ever! (Again, that actually happened.)

Why would I bring back a lethal gygax so roboticists can build them for themselves? Until I see robotics actually share what they build with the proper deparments (Bar the odd Ripley here and there that makes it way to mining...which of course directly benefits roboticists due to the miners sending ore back), I don't see a reason to change the way things are now.

Why would I bring back a lethal gygax so roboticists can build them for themselves? Until I see robotics actually share what they build with the proper deparments (Bar the odd Ripley here and there that makes it way to mining...which of course directly benefits roboticists due to the miners sending ore back), I don't see a reason to change the way things are now.

I actually don't mind the non-lethal gygax and am actually a fan of it; because it is meant for security forces in its description.

However on the rare occasion I'm roboticist and have materials, I never make a mech for myself and pass them out like candy to important jobs, starting with mining and working to security and paramedic, than others.

Before the plasteel nerf I once had a round where the HOS was in a gygax, the RD was in a durand, there were two firefighting ripleys with miners in them, and two odysseus (one with a positron + manually upgraded access and the other with the CMO who got it from the paramedic).

I guess we just never play at the same time.

Plasteel was renamed to Platsteel and requires iron, coal and platinum to be manufactured. Platinum can only be obtained via the leech drills that you bolt to the ground, and even then whilst you might get like 60 diamonds, 500 plasma and the like, you'll only get 12 platinum.

Only reliable and effective way to get platsteel now is Xenobiology.

Ok, that sounds very broken and makes miners even more useless. Was it really that easy to get plasteel before?

Well, with the new fire tweaks maybe platsteel could be used for proper fireproofing? There are some major bugs with the currents system like the incinerator burning itself apart.

Platinum can actually be found in veins single tile nodes on the mining asteroid, with the problem being that it is about as rare as gold. Diamond on the other hand can only be found via the drills. A competent miner (Note: they do not exist for the most part) spending about 20 minutes on the asteroid with a Ripley can easily come up with 50 platsteel, and 500+ regular metal sheets.

yeah, i prefer the Gygax too, but i've only used it for xeno fighting and policing.

But isn't that awesome in of itself? Some people prefer the faster Gygax like we do. So yeah, save the Gygax and let it have its glory. True you might get the odd griefer here or there, but it happens so rarely and you guys are usually on top of those things (Hell, you shut me down when I did it. But again, traitor so... it's not QUITE as bad)

'Sides, you try to say that seeing Old Man Henderson do battle with a Xeno Empress in a Gygax isn't one of the most awesome things ever! (Again, that actually happened.)

Lenneth, you got banned once for running around in medbay with a lethal Gygax and killing everyone. In fact, it was impossible for the crew to fight you because by the time security and support got to medbay you had already sped away with Gygax speed and started killing somewhere else.

Based on that alone I strongly believe Gygaxes should remain nonlethal. Given that griefers aren't exactly uncommon on the server and that robotics attracts some of them like flies I think it's not in anyone's interest to make Gygaxes lethal. They are too fast and versatile to provide with lethal weapons, and the situations where they would need them are few. A durand can just as easily deal with xeno queens and other slow, large threats...the Gygax's speed isn't intended for that, but for hit and run missions against people on the station.

I believe its fine with non lethals. The Gygax is a security robot and is ment for either hit and run missions or riot suppression, which nonlethals work fine with. If some heavy duty killing is truly needed, a Durand is not only stronger, but easier to find materials for and make.

Gamma room already has a durand inside of it, I personally don't think there needs to be modules in there to make it so gygaxes can equip lethals. In my opinion, I personally think that if there was a way to make them able to equip lethal attachments, I'd say E-Magging fits the package. Everything needs to be able to be E-Magged.

Anyway, though. I play roboticist somewhat regularly and I have no problem with the nerfed gygaxes. As others in the thread have said, a non-lethal combat mech is a nice idea and differentiates between police and military.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use