Visual Surgery Cues or Operating computer status

Midaychi

As in the title, I think that it would be a super helpful addition if surgery steps left a visual cue on examine.

Right now, as long as you follow the steps and are patient and careful, surgery is pretty workable.

However, what if you interrupt a madman in process of stealing someone's liver, or lamaar pops in and drags a patient off the table at the same time as you succeeding at a scalpel cut?

You end up trying to help patch them together, but just look like a crazed butcher smacking people around with hemostats and retractors and what not trying to figure out what step the patient was left at.

So: Each step results in a vague visual cue on examine that can be interpreted so you know how to fix them up.

In addition, having them on a surgery table with an operating computer can tell you more about what status the patient is in: ie, chest is open, ribs are held up with retractors, head is cut with scalpel, etc.

I believe this would cut down immensely on surgeon stress in high activity situations.

This would be useful, I once killed a patient by accident when a Turdsniff McGriffington had a great idea to run into surgery and start circular sawing the limbs of the poor patient as he wanted to make me to put robo limbs to the guy that I was operating. Needless to say, the procedure of beating the SKREK out of the said arsemaister and welding him in a locker was somewhat disorientating. After that I tried to use the hemostat to clamp the bleeders of the cut I had done before healing the wounds caused by the mouthfoaming maniac, *Kitikayayarakatyayaianatajajaya has pinched PoorGuy McUnfortunate with a hemostat!*. Thankfully cloning was operational...

I've been playing a surgeon a lot lately, and I totally agree with OP.

I belive that if you put a patient in the scanner, it will read "open", if there is an open incision. But this really don't indicate at which step in the current surgical procedure have been done, which is, as other have explained... problematic. Few things looks more unprofessional than a surgeon rifling through all the tools in the theatre and "experimenting" to save a dying patient.

Yesterday I we had a similar incident.

Situation: Si'Makra, a great surgeon at Paradise, had his ribs broken and some internal damage. A surgeon fixed his internal organs (standard internal organ repair procedyre), and now, his ribs where to be fixed.

What happened: No matter what we did, we could not get his ribs fixed. Damn anoying. three surgeons (including Me) and one chemist where painfully trying to help their colleague.

[*]Regular procedure did not work... stopped around the bonegel - bonesetter somewhere... making the surgeons attacking the poor Si'Makra instead of aiding him... Blood everywhere... lots of pain.

[*]We tried cauterise and start over again.

[*]We tried re-putting him on the table.

[*]We made sure no-one where pulling/grabbing him.

[*]We made sure to heal his torso with trauma kits, and even bicardine, he had 0 brute when starting procedure.

[*]He refused using anesthetic, which IC made things worse for Me, seeing his mistakes causing great pain in his friend.

[*]Me refused to participate in the ridiculous "fail-fest", and recommended to cryo-tank him a little while before trying anew, leaving the theatre with a bad conscience.

[*]Dunno if they gave Si'Makra a cryo-bath and re-tried... hopefully he got better.

Anyone have any tips about such cases? Have had similar experience with patients having brain damage AND broken cranium. What do we do after one procedure have already been completed, and a second one needs to be done, without causing a ridiculous "fail-fest"?

Mechaniks-wise: Good plan.

Roleplaying-wise: Depens on the person, Me would never do it... Ask someone "stable"... like surgeon Boertison.

But yeah, so hopefully someone will understand that a visual clue could aid surgery

Yesterday I we had a similar incident.

Situation: Si'Makra, a great surgeon at Paradise, had his ribs broken and some internal damage. A surgeon fixed his internal organs (standard internal organ repair procedyre), and now, his ribs where to be fixed.

What happened: No matter what we did, we could not get his ribs fixed. Damn anoying. three surgeons (including Me) and one chemist where painfully trying to help their colleague.

[*]Regular procedure did not work... stopped around the bonegel - bonesetter somewhere... making the surgeons attacking the poor Si'Makra instead of aiding him... Blood everywhere... lots of pain.

[*]We tried cauterise and start over again.

[*]We tried re-putting him on the table.

[*]We made sure no-one where pulling/grabbing him.

[*]We made sure to heal his torso with trauma kits, and even bicardine, he had 0 brute when starting procedure.

[*]He refused using anesthetic, which IC made things worse for Me, seeing his mistakes causing great pain in his friend.

[*]Me refused to participate in the ridiculous "fail-fest", and recommended to cryo-tank him a little while before trying anew, leaving the theatre with a bad conscience.

[*]Dunno if they gave Si'Makra a cryo-bath and re-tried... hopefully he got better.

Anyone have any tips about such cases? Have had similar experience with patients having brain damage AND broken cranium. What do we do after one procedure have already been completed, and a second one needs to be done, without causing a ridiculous "fail-fest"?

At the end he could be helped, got closed, cryod and when he came back to surgery he got fixed

I can conclude that it ended somewhat well,

I was dragged into maintenance by the CMO, I thought I was dead, but an Engi Borg came along and helped me to cryo, I then tried once more to get a Surgeon to manage it, this time, instead of my emotes of writhing in pains and yelping, I passed out halfway through, apart from the occasional mistake and the sound of whacking, it went well.

As for the suggestion, I totally agree, even if it's very subtle, where only proper Surgeons would understand the meaning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use