The adventures of a slightly better man

Another round, another day in medbay

Being a surgeon, i quickly grab my usual gear and set up an OR with ease, handing off my defib to a paramedic and acquiring two medkits for some reason.....

Now, over comms, i quickly hear some chatter from my fellow doctors, turns out one of them, a fellow named Jean, wants to become a surgeon apprentice.

I quickly volunteer (as the only) surgeon, CMO gets him reassigned to me, where i quickly see Jean is essentially a greytider but in medical clothes.

No really, bald, black eyes, but thankfully very talkative and open minded, lovely fellow.

I acquire him some red surgical scrubs, to differentiate him from my blue scrubs, and get him to put on a mask and gloves, then wash hands, afterwards, i acquire us a humanized monkey.

I teach him the very basics, cut, clamp, retract, then continue with the other steps, such as drilling, sawing and cauterizing.

He`s very open-minded, quickly doing what i show him.

A guy i presume decided to jump from a tall ledge without a parachute, rolls into medbay, every damm bone broken.

I shove the monkey aside and start preparing to fix his.... well, everything.

I explain everything i do to Jean and let him do the bone repair steps, gel, set, gel, then patch the patient up.

We do this to two of his seven affected body parts before we see he`s gone SSD.

Another fella waltzes in, IB, i shove off the SSD fella and begin.

I let Jean do it this time, cut, clamp, retract, then show him the fix-o-vein, unfortunatly we didnt put the patient under, so Jean fails a few times, damaging the patient, he grows anxious from it, thinking i`ll judge, which i dont, because he was a newbie, i let a borg do it instead.

The shift goes on, after a few, less severe cases, where i`ve let Jean do the steps, RND delivers the fancy IMS surgery tools.

Jean is amazed and confused, never having seen those before.

When he finds out the IMS essentially does the first three steps of any surgery FOR him, he`s sold.

With it, he patches up more patients, doing better and faster each time.

A guy that wants to be implanted comes in, we agree, and i teach Jean about implants and how you put them in.

After he`s done, having done everything according to my instructions, i decide i have taught him enough and get him promoted from "Assistant Surgeon" to "Surgeon".

He`s overjoyed, so am i, we highfive and cheer, before returning to medbay to get back to work.

At this point, im tired, but happy, i say goodbye, hand him the IMS and head to cryo.

It`s shifts like these that draw you to the game, at least for me.

And to Jean? If he reads this, i`m bloody proud of ya.

• Like 1
  • fastparrot 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use