Accidental Borging

Hi All,

Once I borged a person who had asked for full body cybernetic augmentation. The borg then got security and I was put into perma with the crime of murder. I spent at least half an hour talking with IAA's and the Warden and the HoS about this. They were all very confused and had not had a case like that before. I argued that by definition borging someone is technically full body augmentation, however, they still called it murder because to borg someone they have to die during the procedure.

My question is: Is borging someone who wanted full body augmentation a crime, and if so what is a decent punishment for it?

Andromedus

Rodrigo Jackson - Human, has a trouble with authority and works in most departments.

If it's "accidental" by means a cyborgification contract was not written, signed, and stamped for approval even if verbally then I would personally charge it with manslaughter on a security case. Either way, you would be given a sentence of perma confinement or exile.

Using an MMI, a person technically is killed for the operation and when borgified is a blank slate to follow orders of the station and its laws. This does bring severe consequence to the victim in that they are removed of their free choice and will if the borgification was accidental and not in clear consent of the victim which would be a signed contract.

According to SoP it's technically murder to do so without a signed form.

However, if this was genuinely accidental, and the roboticist in question was willing to put the brain back into the body and see it off to cloning, I feel a sentence of perma or exile would be ludicrously over-kill. Demotion could be appropriate and probably the most likely outcome.
People make mistakes. Fucking someone over for an hour and a half for a mistake they were very much willing to fix, seems like it'd be ... a little much.

People seem to forget you can "De-borg" someone, and make them fleshy again. And if nobody is willing to cut someone slack for an honest mistake that they're willing to fix, then you really aren't giving them a reason to cooperate in any regard.

I was the HoS at the time maybe warden. Was the Warden or HoS's name Sybil Vader or Margaret Marks? Do forgive me for over reacting I was confused as fuck on how and what happend. And indeed I do think that perma was a bit much for a mistake like your's. But the IAA was like, "PERMA HIM AND ARREST HIM!" and I just gave up on trying to deal with the IAA.

Edited by BatteryBan
I dont wanna post another god damn... post.

Murder requires intent. I feel like in your case, this would be, at worst, manslaughter, since you were honestly trying to perform a requested service for someone. Not having the paperwork makes this a little hard to prove, however, which is why you always have paperwork on hand for any borging. At that point, the person may have realized there was an error in communication, or they consent to the borging and you're good to go.

I just gave up on trying to deal with the IAA. Plus the Roboticist was acting dumb as fuck when we asked him where the papers were for borging, instead he just said what you needed to do to make a borg.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use