Engineering cyborg: The Chief Maintenance Drone

Midaychi

With the general success of maintenance drones, I've found it silly that they have a more broad capability to repair the station then plain old engineering cyborgs. In Fact, I'd go as far to say that maintenance drones are better at engineering cyborg's jobs then the cyborg themselves.

So perhaps, to remedy this, it would be neat to:

1. Add certain maintenance drone modules to the engineering cyborg module, including the grabber and the decompiler, plastic and wood. The engineering cyborg should be a superior and larger variant of the maintenance drones with full autonomy. I agree that the maintenance bots include modules that would be more fit for a janitor module, so perhaps not include those.

2. Give the engineering cyborg module a cyborg station blueprint, so they can define new areas.

3. Alter maintenance drone's interact law to include being able to interact with engineering cyborgs, and add a fourth law follow the engineering cyborg's orders except in cases where it would break the other laws. Maybe even slave drones to engineering cyborgs/have a prompt to select one to get slaved to.

This way, with #3, engineering cyborgs end up with both the capability to repair the station properly, and to command a fleet of scuttling maintenance drones to assist.

Second idea in addition:

Allow maintenance drones to dock to the engineer borg they're slaved to in the same fashion that diona nymphs can dock to fully grown dionas. That way, they can travel as a big group and resist out when they need to do work. Think like baby spiders docking to a big spider.

It'd be pretty hilarious if there was a cyborg-sized version of the maintenance drone sprite or something similar for engineering modules.

Would also be super cool if an engineer cyborg could enable/disable a toggle that, when enabled, causes the engineer cyborg to act exactly like a cyborg recharge station for docked maintenance drones, but drains the cyborg's battery (and possibly material, maybe not. I dunno.)

That way, engineering cyborgs could effectively exist as mobile construction platforms.

Perhaps in this mode, the engineer cyborg gets bolted down, and draws power from any wires underneath it? That way you don't get maintenance drones sucking the cyborg dry.

Maybe to balance it out, the engineering cyborg can't gain power in this mode and can only completely act as a cyborg charging dock for maintenance drones due to such and such NT regulation or other against cyborgs recharging off of wires? That way it couldn't be abused to avoid the need for a recharging station for the engineering cyborg itself.

I like that one, but they definitely shouldn't replace miners themselves.

Maybe even make a drone-version of the most common cyborgs, miner/engineer/janitor and slave them to the type/be dockable?

Janitor maintenance drones (google image search scrubbing bubbles mascots)

Engineer (AS they are now)

Mining (Little mining bots with tiny drills or pickaxes?)

The only problem I can see are when you bring up medical/security/servitron drones. Their very existence/purpose would break drone laws. They'd either need special laws or just to plain not exist.

Would be hilarious to see tiny beepskis and medbots scuttling around though. Doubly so for tiny drink coaster spiders.

Not sure why we even have a default cyborg module but whatever. I personally think we should replace the default module with a farmbot module for hydroponics/farm animal maintnence. Then we could have tiny farmbot drones.

Think like baby spiders docking to a big spider.

Jesus Christ how absolutely horrifying.

tumblr_muqe5a5ZBM1shfougo1_500.jpg

" Look children, a hull breach! Your favourite thing ever!"

*beep* *beep* *ping* *buzz*

Drone modules would be interesting.. then slaving them to a certain cyborg... even better, now the borgs won't feel like the slave of everyone and give them a new purpose. They will have their own personal army. So thats pretty colio.

The best way to emag a borg would be to emag one of their drones, and drones still can't obey orders from their synched cyborg if they violate the rest of the keeper lawset, so I don't really think it'd end up being a problem in practice. If it does become a problem, it needs more of an admin involvement than anything else.

By synch I definitely meant only having that cyborg as their master, not sharing laws.

Heh. Servitron Drones. They can crawl into and out of soda/alcohol dispensers, you can pick them up and drink out of them, and they're constantly wearing the drink they're holding as a hat (So you can see walking singulos or syndicate bombs with spider legs underneath).

As streaky brought up on IRC, drones of all modules are a nice idea, except for security drones. We definitely don't need those... BUT!

As an alternative, the security module variant of drones would be: A Lawyer drone.

Complete with a miniature briefcase, sunglasses, a loud and official sounding printer, and a universal recorder. These drones are tasked with the job of making sure space law is followed, due process is observed, cell timers are appropriately set, security records are properly maintained, and paperwork is filed in full.

All the module drones would need custom versions of Keeper though, but with careful wording and admin policing I doubt it'll be that much of a problem.

Alternatively:

[13:49:15] a lawyer wearing a lawyer drone on their head

[13:49:24] the fiercest crime-handling duo

[13:49:53] That'd...

[13:49:58] be the most amazing thing

[14:09:21] no

[14:09:23] the drone

[14:09:25] IS a briefcase

Could be sprited to be a briefcase with spider legs scuttling around, and when held in hand by a human mob, would look like a normal briefcase.

DRONES ARE TAKING OVER

HAVE WE ALL HERE NOT WATCHED TERMINATOR?

SKYNET PEOPLE! SKYNET!

1385753810661.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Silliness aside, I'm with Fj45 here. We already have IPC, and they're eventually going to be constructable, and you can accomplish cyborglike tasks just by equipping yourself right. About the only thing we're missing are some tools from bay12 like welding fuel backpacks.

• 6 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use