Job Proposals/ Make Nanotrasen Great Again

Nil

-This will be split into several posts for clarity; as this is an in depth suggestion dipping into several areas beyond merely adding job slots without careful deliberation. The following is an original unedited draft. This allows for an insight into linear thought progression. Asking for clarification and elaboration is advised and appreciated; it is difficult to capture in writing all of the deliberation and reasoning. Further discussion topics will likely be made to augment the topics, here.-

Abstract:

The pop averages around 100. Of this 100; there is a total functional work force ranging from 27-71 (critical function jobs - total jobs). This leaves potentially 29 unassigned assistants. The total break down of jobs by department is as follows:

-ENGINEERING- Total: 10 (10%)

-MEDICAL- total: 14 (14%)

-SCIENCE- Total: 9 (9%)

-SECURITY- Total: 12 (12%)

-AI/BORGS- Total: 2 (2%)

-MISC- Total: 7 (7%)

-SERVICE- Total: 11 (11%)

-SUPPLY- Total: 6 (6%)

(29% assistants)

Proposed:

The functional staff of each department be brought up to reasonably sufficient and efficient numbers, approximately 10% of the total crew per department. This would look like the following:

-ENGINEERING-

-1-4 additional engineers (this leaves a sufficient number to set up and monitor power, the others to attend to repairs)

-1 Engineering borg (allows for safe tunnel and space work)

-MEDICAL-

-3 additional doctors (this allows for dedicated positions. 1 receptionist, 1 monitoring suit sensors (dispatch), 1 in cloning, 2 dedicated surgeons, 3 dedicated to general medical treatment

-1 additional EMT

-1 medical borg (allows for generally quick treatment; as well as safe tunnel work)

-1 additional chemist

-SCIENCE-

-1 additional roboticist (if borgs are added to each department; the additional roboticist isn't as critical)

-1 additional scientist for RND purposes

-SECURITY-

-3 additional officers (allows for 1 officer to be assigned to each department, and 5 others to patrol or do other tasks)

-1 additional detective (allows for more efficient evidence collection and investigation)

-2 security borgs (allows for safe tunnel patrolling; keeping officers safe in assigned areas, out of the tunnels)

-AI/BORGS-

-6 total borgs (janitor, miner, medical, engineering, 2 security) (allows for safe tunnel work)

-MISC-

-2-4 additional blueshields (1 is ineffectual. Additional officers allow for dedicated command security. This is more appropriate for a corporation to do so, as well as appropriate for pop.

-potentially 1 additional magistrate (allows for deliberation, more cases handled at once)

-potentially 1 additional rep (potentially allows for deliberation, allows for better monitoring and reporting capabilities)

-SERVICE-

-2 additional chefs (allows for greater ability to feed a crew of 100)

-1-2 additional janitors (allows for a cleaner station, which prevents sickness)

-1-2 additional botanists (provides food, research materials(?))

-1 janitor borg (tunnel cleaning)

-1 additional clown (can't be worse than assistant)

`1 additional mime (can't be worse than an assistant)

-SUPPLY-

-an upwards of 7 additional miners (a mining and research station thrives off of miners. Mining is a simple and easy legitimate job to limit grey tide. 3 miners is appropriate for a pop of 30, not 100+)

-3 additional cargo techs (1 for disposals, 2 for crate loading/unloading, 1 for reception, 1 for misc tasks (such as communicating with miners, running minerals, tracking down crates, etc)

-1 mining borg

-dedicated security officer on mining station (a corporation would ensure maximum efficiency of primary focus of station (mineral collection))

-dedicated doctor on mining station (a corporation would ensure maximum efficiency of primary focus of station (mineral collection))

---

Conclusion:

The current breakdown of jobs is more appropriate for a pop of 50 or so. For a company (e.g: nanotrasen); social engineering and ergonomics are critical. By having a functional force of 10% total crew for each department; the rest of the station is able to operate more fluidly. Each department is able to fully support one another in tandem; to create a optimal station.

para jobs proposal.doc

Given the opportunity to fulfill a legitimate position allows for "rising to the occasion". Conceptually; if one were merely interested in hooliganism (grey tide), it is likely they will either select an assistant role, or role with access, regardless of increased job slots. Increased job slots allows for higher productivity, all considered. 

Since drafting this; a few edits and clarifications have been made:

- This is expressly for pops beyond 70. Otherwise; the current set up is ideal for a pop of 50; thresholds being aprox. 30 and 70. 

- It was drafted that each department start with a borg; this should be clarified as an ideal end goal for each department to reach maximum efficiency and overall station safety, with a calculated increase to challenge for both antags and non-antags alike. Otherwise; an increase of 1 borg at start would potentially be more appropriate and better for the AI. It could be reasonable to add an additional positronic brain to robotics, and/or possibly a crafted/pre-crafted borg body.

-Additional job slots will be taxing for an unprepared head of staff. For a skilled and experienced head of staff; the increased jobs should be efficiently utilized in areas that have previously been stretched thin. The added jobs will more or less mandate additional changes to SOP. The added jobs will likely paint a clearer picture of how skilled or unskilled a head is at managing.

-Additional jobs are beneficial for antag and non antag alike. The tunnels are a huge advantage to would-be antags. This is dimmed by the amount of assistants roaming the tunnels at all times. By giving assistants a task within a department; it leaves tunnels largely empty. Additional benefits could be given to antags; as a hostile organization would reasonably consider doing as a response to a larger security force and overall more organized departments.

-Criticism of additional blueshields is to be expected; this would largely be due to SOP and general behavior of those with the role, rather than how the role should act. Provided proper acting; additional blueshields will provide reasonable use, while still maintaining a fair and reasonable chance for antags. Note; the overall job proposal is not to reduce antag success rate. It is to allow for more legitimate jobs, including antags.

-Mapping should be limited in changes; all job additions were carefully considered; with the currently provided work spaces. Additional lockers (hardsuits, if needed) and jobs slots would be the only needed changes. For the paramedic; one ambulance -could- be stored in additional medical storage, if found to be reasonably needed for the job description. An additional janitor cart is not needed. 

I absolutely love the idea of more jobs during high pop - I have to be honest, I don't really play during high pop (100+) anymore because there is just nothing to do.

However, raising job slots will have two issues: equipment and place.

High pop and its problem of people not having jobs is, I think, a map issue, not a job slot issue. If you increase any of these departments' slots even further (except for scientist and blueshield, I'm fine with those), you'll soon find out they either won't have the proper tools (that can be fixed with spawning more things in the lockers) or the place to move around (that cannot be fixed without switching maps).

I suggest trying to be a Botanist or an Atmospheric Technician during high pop. Whenever these jobs hit three people, their workplace just becomes SO SMALL YOU WISH A PLASMA FIRE BROKE OU-

I'm afraid this map is just too small for making the round fun for everyone. I wrote a list for every department what would cause issues but it just became so long I decided to delete it. I think the fix for not having 25+ assistants during high pop would be changing to a bigger map, but whenever I saw a map change on Paradise, people reacted to it negatively. (Sadly. I really loved Delta station though and I don't know any of the other maps.)

Edited by Miraviel

Could you elaborate on how the size of the map factors in? It seems fine to me. I mean, medical could potentially get crowded; but I doubt it, if everyone is busy. Some of it is going to depend on management skills of heads of staff, though. Without any of these changes, or even on a small server with 10 people, things can get hellish with poor management skills.

The map could be larger or smaller; I don't think it would matter, either way. But I'd need to understand your perspective to form an informed thought.

Yeah, I thought about suggesting maybe a barback, but bartender provides no real function, and it gets a shotgun. Adding one other slot would be LESS efficient, than only having one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use