Add atmos checkpoint by science

Malmalmalam

Atmos checkpoint by science  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's face it, most fires happen in science.  However, all of the fancy firefighting equipment (backpack, atmos hardsuits, water tank) are on the other side of the station.  So when one breaks out, if an atmos tech has to drop whatever they're doing to go all the way to atmos then bring the equipment back to science, it allows that much more time for the fire to burn.

The regular firefighting gear is somewhat closer, but is mediocre.  Having a dedicated spot, accessible by atmos techs only (or maybe any engineer?), equipped with atmos tech- level firefighting gear across from say, the Kitchen where the morgue was expanded into IIRC, or any place accessible when the shutters come down, would make it much more easier for that fancy equipment to be used.

Edited by Malmalmalam

Most fires are indeed in toxins, and it's a long way, I actually could never get to a fire in toxins before the fire solve itself by breaching. It does not help that eng outpost is closed to atmos. 

I really don't think having all the equip to fight fire is even worth it, given that most of the time the problem fix itself and you can do a fair amount of work from the atmos computer. 

Cheking the map I'm fairly certain that this would in fact not be that helpful, but giving eng outpost access to atmos would. I'll come back with some drawing about this later today. 

35 minutes ago, Calecute said:

It does not help that eng outpost is closed to atmos. 

Atmos techs do have access to the Engineering outpost, they just have to go through the maintenance airlock from the Engineering maintenance instead of going through Engineering proper

So there are basically two ways to get to toxins with an atmos access, going starboard from escape or through sci maint. Going through atmos to get the equip is not that much of a detour actually coming from a lot of places, because you need to go through medbay maint, and atmos is right next to it. 

But  the optimum path from atmos, or primary hallway to toxins is blocked in the yellow X, thats engie checkpoint. By looking at it i think the lack of access adds 50% to the time it takes to go from atmos to toxins. THe room also has nothing important in it for the engies. 

I also marked some close empty rooms, but as you kinda of need to pass by atmos if you're not going through escape I really don't think equip there would make that much of a diference. 

image.png.ec90f6e1e14d1cbaeb9dacbbcfb3a536.png

I was also thinking of fires beyond mixing.  Importantly, sometimes all of R and D is set on fire, and it spills out into the main hallways, and dumbarses walk in the hallways and set themselves on fire.  Or, the fire happens when the escape shuttle is called.  That's what I was thinking of when I recommended putting it in the morgue workstation or escape.

Your ideas are probably better though.  It would depend on where the tech is.  Is the tech near the bar playing with trash chutes, or monitoring the console at atmos?  Working at arrivals or security?  Etc.

Yeah when toxins storage burns all science, half medical and starboard primary hallway burns. I think for that cases, the best place i can find for the equip is between library and botany.

Fire closet placement:

image.thumb.png.097bcd052efc7c85f5999bcb1f82f71c.png

Original:

image.thumb.png.b965f46fa5121ff85f96e26ea1aa2c95.png

In this setup the closet will be a 2x3 room, a little small but I think everything fits in it. 

Yeah that would do.  I am a little concerned in case the fire spreads beyond those shutters, through Mech Bay perhaps, and leaves it still inaccessible.  But it's pretty good without cutting into any established space.

There was once an emergency closet that would've been good for repurposing, but morgue was expanded into it.  Ah well.

As an Atmos tech, I struggle most shifts to set up a fire suppression system (using cold CO2) in the small maint rooms between sci-chem and toxins mixing. I find it to be an effective deterrent to plasma fires as long as either the AI or myself is manning it. A few additional pipes would go far into making it an effective starting set-up.

Still trying to find out if there's a way to automate it, I'm trying playing with the air alarm settings to see if there's some way to make the pumps turn on automatically over a certain temp threshold, but I'm having no luck. Throw in greyshirts with a flair for opening random canisters and you have one angry Atmosan. >:

The attached image is my typical set-up. The light blue are the tanks on connectors, the red lines the pipes, the green marks are air injectors. I'd generally throw plasma glass windows with girders in them in the walls for easier monitoring. After setting it up I'd ask the AI to check the functionality of the pumps so they know what's up.

Atmos set-up by Brobot.png

Edited by Brobotnick
Added image

15 hours ago, Calecute said:

Most fires are indeed in toxins, and it's a long way, I actually could never get to a fire in toxins before the fire solve itself by breaching. It does not help that eng outpost is closed to atmos. 

I really don't think having all the equip to fight fire is even worth it, given that most of the time the problem fix itself and you can do a fair amount of work from the atmos computer. 

Pretty much this. It doesn't matter how you adjust the map, by the time any reasonably competent player could respond to a major plasma fire in Toxins, it will have already breached the station and burned itself out in the ensuing vacuum. You'd have to tone down plasmafires themselves in order to make the problem last long enough to be solved by the crew. As it stands the only response to a plasmafire is to evacuate the area and wait for the engineers to fix the damage.

2 hours ago, Brobotnick said:

Still trying to find out if there's a way to automate it, I'm trying playing with the air alarm settings to see if there's some way to make the pumps turn on automatically over a certain temp threshold, but I'm having no luck. Throw in greyshirts with a flair for opening random canisters and you have one angry Atmosan. >:

If i'm not mistaken you can automate it using an atmos automation computer conected to the pumps and to a sensor (or any number of sensor), but i don't think you can do it through the air alarm. 

A fire supression system in toxins is a pretty nice idea, and a good project to take your time as an Atmos, I'll try it sometime. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Calecute said:

If i'm not mistaken you can automate it using an atmos automation computer conected to the pumps and to a sensor (or any number of sensor), but i don't think you can do it through the air alarm. 

A fire supression system in toxins is a pretty nice idea, and a good project to take your time as an Atmos, I'll try it sometime. 

See ya there! :>

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use