Name change for referencing

Wololow

Hiya, My ingame name is Bob Loblaw (or Honky Dorey if im the clown). Ive been playing since 2011 off and on, Ive enjoyed Paradise Station more than any other server for its good roleplayers and good atmosphere (no pun intended). I was recently told that i needed to change my name due to rules by Alffd. Ive been on this server, and every server with the same name and never once received a complaint until now. And i've been playing on paradise for week after a long hiatus without a complaint. Let me keep the name ive had forever please, its not a strong reference or one that causes any offense to the few who get it. Its a dumb name but its my name, Thanks.

Bob Loblaw is the Bluth family lawyer in Arrested Development.  A Sitcom originally on Fox and now being produced by Netflix.  Season 5 is due out this year.

Please forgive me for providing a defense, @Allfd, but as stated by the Arrested Development wiki, he appears in 4 episodes in season 3 and 1 in season 4. This would relagate them to the position of a side character.

In addition, Wololow first started using the character name back in January 2014, with a spike in usage in July 2015, two spikes at late 2016 and a lot in April 2017. Considering the show ended initially back in 2006, and has only been reslated for release in 2018 (excluding the three exclusive episodes to Netflix), I would hardly call this a direct correlation.

Further more, Bob is a common name, and Loblaw's is an entire corporation of grocery stores here in the great white North of Canada.

I would call this name valid for use.

Sure,

So my response would be that season 4 actually premiered in 2013 and ran for 15 episodes.  Season 5 is for 18.

Further Wololow acknowledges the name was made as a reference to the character in Arrested Development.

While it is of a side character, the rule makes no mention of that as an exemption, referring only to those famous enough to be recognized.  

I did recognize it although at the time I thought I was remembering it from 30 Rock (Dr. Space Man) and not Arrested Development.  

If the exemption did exist, he played a very prominent role in the episodes he appeared in which focused on the Bluth's legal troubles and where Lindsay Bluth tried to enter into an affair with him which ended up with her working as a maid/nanny.

I would also defend this name, as lets be real here, if SS13 were a movie, we would not exactly be up for the Oscars.  Arrested Development won 5 Emmys and a Golden Globe,  if everyone just directly copied a character from that show we would be in a much better place.

• clown 1

I stand with @LightFire53 on this one in defense of the name presented. The character's name being a combination of an excessively common name "Bob" (which is Steve tier in terms of making up names) and Loblaw being an incredibly common grocer. Even as a reference, it's a name that's common enough on its own (On account that you even said you recognized it from a completely different source before googling it, @Allfd) that I believe it to be both acceptable and reasonable to have in-game. We've made exceptions in the past where names seem reasonably fitting, and considering the player's play time, I'd even argue that it wasn't noticeable or impactful enough for anyone to get upset by it until this point.

tl;dr The name sounds common and generic, and we've allowed exceptions from side-characters in the past when the name seems entirely reasonable for the station's atmosphere. Keeping it isn't causing people's eyes to bleed or roll out of their sockets, and until it does, he should be able to reasonably keep it.

@Allfd Fair, though the point still stands that the name was common enough for you to recognize it from a completely different medium instead, and we've even made exceptions for players who originally made their characters names referencing a side character playing an important role (even from popular media).

We have made the exception for primary characters also.   My immediate Mr. F response to arrested development I think underscores well that I was familiar with that show.  (As opposed to saying "I have brainrot IRL")

• Like 2

I don't base my character around "Bob Loblaw" of the show at all. its my own character. its nothing i have ever pointed out as a reference either, except to allfd

Edited by Wololow
adding

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use