Defending my name?

Anxipal

Admin Key: MarsMond was the one who brought it up.

Your Discord name (if applicable): Doesn't really apply.

Complaint: So I've been playing a character for about a week and a half now maybe. A generic, hiding in the background, cannon fodder medic who just enjoys to do his job. I chose a name which at the time meant nothing to me: Stephen Harper. I then played without incident until tonight, forming relationships and dabbling in a bit of detective work again. 

Then an admin messaged me, MarsMond, instructing me to immediately change my name because it was against the current naming rules. I am familiar with the rules and realised that my name must be that of someone famous or a famous character that I must have subconsciously chose. However, instead I found that it was the name of the former PM of Canada, a politician who I have personally never heard of and as far as I could see from a quick is rather unremarkable. 

I feel like this rule needs a line drawn, who really recognises a former PM of Canada? If you would recognise them, would it be enough to pull you from your immersion?

Barack Obama? Ban him!

Han Solo? Change your name, pal.

Groot? Just leave.

But Stephen Harper? It was literally the most generic name I could have thought up.

Where is the line? What if I named myself Edi Rama? Would that have gotten a boink? I doubt it. At least he's still in power.

What I'm asking here is to be allowed to continue to use this name, or at the very least generate a little more discussion around the naming rules.

I'm sorry to tell you this but since the person in question was a prime minister for 10 years and has only left office 1.5 years ago they are pretty famous.

The line is at the discretion of our admin team but generally speaking its best not to use names of anyone who has been in a well known position within the past few years. sadly drawing a line specifically is impossible due to the nature of the rule. 

You can name yourself Steven Harp or something like that if you are dead set on continuing with the name.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use