Improving the NT rep

Landerlow

The NT rep: We all know them, but besides faxing and giving advice that nobody cares about, what do they do? They have no real power. I would like suggestions/discussion as to how the role could be improved, besides better roleplay.

I myself (Alfred Keitel) play this role regularly. One of the major turn-offs for me is a complete radio and/or fax silence from NT. While, of course, not all faxes/kinds of faxes *have* to be answered, a response is always nice, to know that your work is appreciated and to prevent you from feeling that the job is a waste of karma.

The following are things I would like to see/change:

* More reponse from CC in general

* More on-station duties / having actual power i.e promoting/demoting staff members WITH VALID AND ARGUMENTED REASON and approval of CC. 

* Instead of faxing things directly to communications console, fax it to an NT rep, for the NT rep to relay to command. OR: Give the NT rep a communications console in his room at least, so that printed reports also get in that office directly. (Classified messages, etc)

* Perhaps a screen which would directly relay requests to CC. FOR THE NT REP TO USE ONLY! Not for the captain or for any other crew. I'm thinking of ERT in dire emergencies, to cleaning assistance, special shipments, etc. These are things the NT rep could handle,  since they are a representative/liason/direct link to CC. 

* Additional QoL improvement: Make a distinguishable sound that plays whenever the NT rep gets a fax or gets a headset message. I sometimes miss either a headset message or a fax in my office because I'm busy or because the chat is just incredibly hectic.

* A possibility for a 'CC' command channel, only to be used in emergencies, for when the faxes don't work because of issues or whatever. 

Of course, these privileges would mean more responsibility, roleplay and as such, punishment for violations/abuse would be severe. 

Thoughts, Ideas? Suggestions?

P.S: Yes I know admins can't read everything and that some don't care for faxes, but still, it's a job, you spent karma for it.

30 minutes ago, Landerlow said:

* More reponse from CC in general

This isn't really something that can be helped. It's very dependent on which admins are online.

* More on-station duties / having actual power i.e promoting/demoting staff members WITH VALID AND ARGUMENTED REASON and approval of CC. 

That's what the HoP is for. If the HoP is unavailable, the captain can do it. If neither of them are available, you probably have bigger problems to deal with.

* Instead of faxing things directly to communications console, fax it to an NT rep, for the NT rep to relay to command. OR: Give the NT rep a communications console in his room at least, so that printed reports also get in that office directly. (Classified messages, etc)

* Perhaps a screen which would directly relay requests to CC. FOR THE NT REP TO USE ONLY! Not for the captain or for any other crew. I'm thinking of ERT in dire emergencies, to cleaning assistance, special shipments, etc. These are things the NT rep could handle,  since they are a representative/liason/direct link to CC. 

So if there's no NT rep on station, execution faxes and other important documents can't be sent? Also, there's already a card scanner for ERTs. The NT rep also has a card scanner.

* Additional QoL improvement: Make a distinguishable sound that plays whenever the NT rep gets a fax or gets a headset message. I sometimes miss either a headset message or a fax in my office because I'm busy or because the chat is just incredibly hectic.

* A possibility for a 'CC' command channel, only to be used in emergencies, for when the faxes don't work because of issues or whatever. 

I do like the idea of a command channel that lets you communicate with the NAS Trurl via telecomms, but then faxes will likely fall out of favor. Why write a professional, well formatted document and fax it (which has a long cooldown) when you could just talk to an NT officer over comms?

I like the idea of improving the NT rep to be more impactful, but I don't think this is the way to do it. I'll think up some ideas and make a reply sooner or later. Just keep in mind that the NT rep is meant to be the 'advisor' role. If a member of command is ignoring your advice, they do so at their own risk.

Edited by Valkyrie

The NT rep commands a force greater than even the Chaplain's god, CC. The power they have is very much there, but it has to be used correctly, lest CC turn the BSA you ordered on you, to cut down on fax expenses and the cost of hiring those darned CC hotline agents.

More seriously, the NT rep has boatloads of power. Bridge access is just... Phew... You have your own office, you're essentially another head, but without a department to command. Arguably more powerful than the captain. You're like an IAA++

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use