AI modules and upload circuits are in lockboxes

Jared12100

Basically a change to R&D that would put printed AI upload and any printed AI law modules into a lock-box with captain level access required. The lock-box in general because... it's messing with the AI, the arguably most powerful entity in the game. And captain level and not RD level is because the RD has no business messing with the AI without the captains approval (see: AI SoP). Obviously traitors could emag into the lock-box, but at the very least its not free anymore.

This idea comes from the extreme paranoia I have of R&D while playing the AI, because knowing anyone with science access can change the laws is really concerning.

Not wise.

Antags will just emag the lockboxes. Even if they don't have an emag, they can steal the upload board from secure tech storage, and get a hacked law board from their uplink.

Non-antags aren't rewriting AI laws anyway, as this is generally classified as self-antagging.

3 hours ago, tzo said:

Antags will just emag the lockboxes. Even if they don't have an emag, they can steal the upload board from secure tech storage, and get a hacked law board from their uplink.

This makes two incorrect assumptions.

1) That all antagonists interested in re-writing AI laws are traitors.

2) That all traitors will either have an emag or be willing to spend 14 TC.

Not every traitor wants subverting the AI to be the main part of their plan, but they may do so just to make their objectives easier because there's no access requirement and they happened to roll or get reassigned to Scientist.

• Like 1

I agree that the upload circuitboard should be more secure. It's more interesting to have to break into secure tech storage and creates room for people to notice that the board is gone. It's already really hard to find a random upload console somewhere on the station, and people who are fast at constructing and deconstructing can be very mobile with the upload. I don't know if it's necessary to put the AI upload board in a lockbox too. That may be overkill.

I'm not sure you have to be paranoid about scientists changing your laws. IC, none of the current default lawsets really care that much about the AI being tampered with, and OOC, subversion isn't all that common and when it is, it's usually decently interesting. Though if you really hate being subverted for some reason you can just keep the protolathe open on your screen and monitor what scientists are making at all times.

I guess one way to mitigate the whole access level is a compromise. In order to produce AI boards, the RD has to swipe his card into the terminal before it'll let the operator make those boards. Otherwise, they're locked out.

Could do the same for a number of other items too, and illegal? Emag or RD again

Edited by whiskeyfur

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use