An admin was Pm'ing me for something I did while I was afk at the end of a round going to the restroom and by the time I got back I was banned

ThePrince

Admin Key: Marsmond

Complaint: Hi, I am pretty new to the game but I love Paradise station and Space Station 13 and I have been learning the rules as I play and I am also a donator to byond.

My only complaint is that I was permabanned pretty fast for a misunderstanding that I couldn't defend myself for and would have happily owned up to after realizing my mistake.

I was in the escape shuttle at the end of the round and someone who I thought was a antagonist dropped a smoke or drug grenade and started attacking windows to break them but I guess it was a misunderstanding. However, assuming he was antag I started attacking him with a baseball bat because I thought he was making moves and trying to do damage or harm to the shuttle or people on the shuttle. He said, "what the fug" and didn't retaliate so I stopped attacking him. Thus I assumed he wasn't antag because he went back to minding his own business and I went back to waiting for the escape shuttle to depart. Knowing the round would be over soon I went afk and handled business by making a log cabin in my bathroom in real life if you know what I mean.

When I got back to my pc a admin had been messaging me about the situation and why I attacked someone as non-antag, I would have explained all of this and apologized for my mistake but I was permabanned pretty quickly. As a new player and someone who is just getting into byond and the space station 13 scene I feel pretty ostracized as well as a lack of patience and kindness in this circumstance which I have never experience before from ANY of the admins on this server who have always been great in the past as a new player to Space Station 13.

All of the admins I have dealt with before have been kind, helpful, patient, and cool and have always guided me to the wikis, rules, and given me tips on how to play my role as antag or non-antag and I felt a sense of inclusion and friendliness particularly on the Paradise Station server which is why it has been my favorite so far. They have always explained to me why I have been wrong before and corrected me in my actions and been patient in the past and I have always  cooperated.

Being permabanned so fast without being able to explain myself when I would have definitely owned up to it in realizing that the guy I attacked was not antag I feel is a disservice to all the awesome admins and great experiences I have had on Paradise Station in the past and I am pretty shocked at this treatment.

I hope this can be sorted out and I can be unbanned as soon as possible as Space Station 13 and especially Paradise Station are my favorite games right now and I donated to byond BECAUSE of all the great times I have had on the server and with the admins in the past. I believe the admin did what he thought was best and I don't take it personally towards him/her however I find the lack of patience and an automatic permaban for something I would have owned up to realizing my mistake with cooperation and understanding to be very harsh and I apologize for my actions towards the player and admin in question. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any other players in the future.

Hi there,

I just had a look through the logs and it appears you were injecting people with SE's while the admin was messaging you. Marsmond also messaged you with instructions how to respond to an admin PM in case you were unaware, but these were not responded to. I'll have to conclude you weren't AFK at that time, and went to the restroom about 2 mins after the PMs. You likely missed them in the excitement, and Marsmond was left with little options - with other issues at the time, admins can only wait so long for a response. When you're clearly active but not responding, it's standard policy to place a ban so people can explain themselves on the forum.

I don't see this as particularly fast or not giving you the chance to defend or explain yourself, which you're now able to do in an appeal, which I'd advise doing ASAP so Marsmond can get on that - I doubt there'll be much problem with the appeal, but there may be other circumstances I'm unaware of.

As for the feelings of being ostracized - while that is literally what banning does, do not think of it as a huge issue - there have been 10s of thousands of bans, and even a fair few among the admins. We've always held a policy of being quick to ban and quick to forgive.

Because there was no misconduct or problems here, the complaint is without merit and will be marked as resolved. So Mars can discuss the ban with you, I advise posting an appeal asap.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use