The Expanse

CPTCoffee

The series is currently showing on Syfy. Looked cool, watched a few episodes and decided to read the book series. And holy crap. That series is good. 

Basic synopsis: In the future the human race has settled across the known galaxy. Earthers, Martians, and Belters  (those born anywhere but on a planet). You follow the story of a crew of ice haulers who get caught up in the middle of a brewing war.

Some things you should consider when reading this book:

-There's plenty of space battles

- Space zombies? Maybe so.

- Drunk detective!

-Old politician lady who runs her mouth like a sailor with tourets. 

-  Ever wonder what happens when a projectile enters through the hole of a ship and decapitated a man in zero g? Real science explained in lay man's terms. 

- In the 6th book there's a bisexual pirate queen. Like for real. 

- Of course there's an evil corporation. 

- Quotes range from 

"However well the new species is designed, however overwhelming its advantages seem to be, the pushback will always be there. If one native impulse is overcome, there will be another. You understand? Conspecifics are outcompeted? Fine, the bacterial and viral microecologies will push back. Adapt to those, and it’ll be micronutrient levels and salinity and light. And the thing is, the thing is, even when the novel species does win? Even when it takes over every niche there is, that struggle alone changes what it is. Even when you wipe out or co-opt the local environment completely, you’re changed by the pushback. Even when the previous organisms are driven to extinction, they leave markers behind. What they are can never, never be completely erased.”

To

“Oh fuck me,” Avasarala said, clapping her hands in glee. “He’s using the outsider speech. That man’s asshole must be tight enough right now to bend space.”

The show is good, but the books are amazing. Anyone else read them or thinking about checking them out?

I have been reading over the books in my spare time as of late, it's a great series. Yet to watch the show yet but I plan on doing so.

Also I might as well drop this here, Remember the Cant!

I started reading the first book a few months ago but I haven't had time to make progress with it yet.

I've watched both seasons of the show, which is really really well done.

I acquired the books because I want to know what's gonna happen next season :)

Same thing I did for game of thrones... They call the expanse "game of thrones in space"...

Edited by flimflamm

14 hours ago, flimflamm said:

I started reading the first book a few months ago but I haven't had time to make progress with it yet.

I've watched both seasons of the show, which is really really well done.

I acquired the books because I want to know what's gonna happen next season :)

Same thing I did for game of thrones... They call the expanse "game of thrones in space"...

The show is keeping it almost the same but they're condensing the timeline. From what my friend and I figure it's been about 15 years from the start of the first book to the current one. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use