Admin complaint - scrubmcnoob

Birdtalon

Admin Key: scrubmcnoob

Your Discord name (if applicable): Birdtalon

Complaint: Devaluing the wording of the rules.

This is a psudo-complaint regarding an incident which occurred several days ago, as it took me that long to decide whether to make this complaint or not. I still wouldn't hasten to call it a "complaint" as I have nothing against scrubmcnoob or his actions - this is more directed at the general attitude of the incident and seeking an explanation as to why it is acceptable.

Firstly, I shall set the scene. I was playing on my character "Kahkiri," as a scientist and it was the start of the round "maint rush" where everyone had piled into maintenance looking for loot.

The Janitor on this round had decided to take the Janicart into maintenance and block my way with it, to which I responded by unbuckling him from it and dragging it behind me while I ran through maintenance. The Janitor followed me through maint to the Central Primary Corridor, where I tried to head into science to get away from him. Unfortunately he was too quick and followed me inside, beginning to spam disarm me to push me down. At this point I may have retaliated in kind whilst attempting to put a door between myself and him. Soon after he began attacking me in harm intent, to which I believe I would not have responded other than to try and disarm him and escape. However he began attacking me with an oxygen tank which put me quickly into critical before any security could arrive to break it up.

I decided to admin help it as I believe I was quite correct in thinking that the rules quite specifically state that putting someone into critical as a non-antagonist is not allowed.

Violence capable of inflicting serious damage to someone, especially anything that places them into a critical state, is reserved for Antagonists. Outside Self-Defense, this kind of violence is not permitted;

Now, it may be the case that he was an antagonist all along and of course I do not expect scrubmcnoob to release that kind of information, if this is the case then please resolve this. However if it is not the case I would rather like an slightly more detailed explanation.

Unfortunately I cannot quote the pm I received from scrubmcnoob verbatim as I did not think to save it at the time, as I was not entirely that bothered until I discussed this at length with a friend of mine. However it was along the lines of; "you antagonised him first, therefore deal with your injuries IC as they are not life threatening." At the time I was fine with waiting for the doctor to repair my broken bones and just took it at face value and replied with "Okay I'm not that bothered."

The problem I have with this situation really is that the rules are quite clear that beating someone into critical is not allowed yet I expect if the roles were reversed I would have expected a harsh punishment. I feel that if the player in question was not an antagonist then this somewhat devalues the statement I quoted directly from the rules if administrators are allowed to disregard them over what I see as an over escalation. 

I am not going to jump to any conclusions and, as I said earlier this is less of a complaint about scrubmcnoob personally but more of the policy in general and how it is applied.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Birdtalon
  • Like 1

After speaking with Scrubmcnoob, the following was concluded:

1) While dragging off the Janitor's cart does constitute one of the classical SS13 "dick moves", it was still not a justification for the Janitor to beat anyone into soft critical;

2) This is not protected by the Server Rules, and therefore the Janitor is to blame for their reaction to this situation

As such, Scrub has been informed to warn the Janitor in regards to their behavior and add a Note to their account. In addition, they have been instructed of the limits to which greytide-like behavior is tolerated, and not to hesitate to warn both sides of any given situation if they both share some of the blame. In this situation, however, the Janitor was clearly more in the wrong.

Anything further the OP would like to bring up?

Thank you for looking into this complaint for me. This outcome serves to add clarification for all involved and as such I see it as a positive outcome. You may consider this resolved as far as I am concerned. Many thanks.

Edited by Birdtalon