Instapermaban Over Meme Name

Endlesstrash

Admin Key: Scrubmcnoob

Complaint: Friend Instapermabanned, Unprofessionalism

A few weeks ago I saw some YouTube video about Space Station 13, remembered how me and my friends tried a few years ago to get into it, and decided to gather them up and try again. My two friends and I have been playing on this server for almost two weeks now. Another of my friends was finally convinced to try it after hearing our discussions in mumble. We let him know it was an RP server, and that the admins didn't care much for anime or memes, so he shouldn't use his current Steam name and instead pick a real name.

He decided to be a smartass and when we saw someone join named "Not Looking for Lolis" we instantly knew it was him. When he was then almost instantly kicked out and banned we thought it was the funniest shit, saying "what the hell did you think was going to happen?" When we asked how long he was banned he said it was permanent. That was even funnier. He made another BYOND account and tried to join. Turns out he was IP banned. He didn't really care that much and immediately went back to playing Siege, but I decided to use ahelp to see if he could get another chance. I explained he had never played before and was just being a smartass since he didn't realize how much RP was enforced, and politely asked he be given another chance. I received this message back:

Scrubmcnoob.png.d9f8bbad418e7dafc321c2d343add2f4.png

Before this point I didn't really care. My friend was probably only going to play for five minutes anyways, so it wasn't a huge loss. But reading this completely enraged me. Attacking my friend based on what he assumes him to be. Assuming he's some sort of pedophile because he used a meme. This entire game is a meme. Have you seen OOC in between rounds, or the names of every other clown or civilian? I don't know, maybe the admins are exposed to so much ERP they always assume the worst. I've had several experiences with admins before and they've always been professional and impartial. This was the exact opposite. He could have simply stated that my friend broke the rules and they had a no tolerance policy, but even that wouldn't justify a permanent IP ban. Instead, this admin used his own hatred towards a particular meme to justify a permaban and spew vitriol on someone asking to reverse it.

I don't want my friend unbanned or anything. Don't waste your time, he's never going to play this again anyways. I just wanted to point out this conduct. I hope it's not regularly condoned.

Greetings.

Let me take this point for point.

13 hours ago, Endlesstrash said:

politely asked he be given another chance

We do not lift any bans in-game, barring Jobbans applied to Command players that leave, then rejoin mid-round due to extraneous circumstances. Barring that very niche situation, every other ban goes through an appeal on the forums.

13 hours ago, Endlesstrash said:

Assuming he's some sort of pedophile because he used a meme.

I... do not really see any assumption of paedophilia here, unless you're referring to the first bit of the sentence, and even then, it can still be seen as an attack on your friend's taste.

In addition, lolicon is not a meme, it's a legitimate, uh... literary genre, let's go with that. One that is, for the most part, mired in legal grey areas in many parts of the world.

14 hours ago, Endlesstrash said:

This entire game is a meme. Have you seen OOC in between rounds, or the names of every other clown or civilian?

As noted, lolicon is not a meme, and is in fact something that falls well beyond what we can consider to be acceptable on the server in terms of erotic content. It is, in no way, comparable to clown names.

I don't know, maybe the admins are exposed to so much ERP they always assume the worst.

We have a no tolerance policy for any erotic content, regardless of intent. If it's anything other than hugging and maybe kissing, it's right out. House rules.

He could have simply stated that my friend broke the rules and they had a no tolerance policy, but even that wouldn't justify a permanent IP ban. Instead, this admin used his own hatred towards a particular meme to justify a permaban and spew vitriol on someone asking to reverse it.

Once again, lolicon is most often associated with erotic material and Scrub had every right to apply a Permaban to someone who so blatantly decided to ignore both that Rule, and the one about serious naming.

That said, a few key-points:

a) Everything in that quote beyond "On a real note" is absolutely spot-on. I cannot, and will not, fault Scrub for it, since it's basically server policy;

b) The initial "need new friends" commentary was unnecessary, and Scrub has been informed of such. They will be clearing things up with you post-haste, as it appears not to have been their intention to be taken seriously.

Please respond to this thread if you have anything else to add.

• Like 1