Additions to the Grab intent

AzraelKnightquest

In short, I noticed that the Grab intent is kind of like Judo or Wrestling for SS13. What I was thinking of, was a way to make it more effective as a fighting style for self-defense, WITHOUT being lethal. The main inspiration from this was due to the fact that, quite frankly, sometimes people like to push your character around or disarm and keep shoving you. Calling Security or an Admin for something so minor is, quite frankly, wussy and a waste of people's times. As such, I'd rather just stick up for myself and defend myself. The problem? Well, the Attack intent can do some hefty damage and no matter how much they provoke you, as long as they stay within the letter of the rules, you get an Admin upset with you or disciplining  you for punching him too many times, to say nothing of swinging a crowbar at the guys face. I'd like to try ANOTHER method, one that DOESN'T have the risk of serious injury or killing the player but still stops him and maybe lets him understand that you aren't much for that kind of joking or pranking.

1. When you Grab and then Reinforce, you grab them Aggressively. Reinforce one or two times seems to throw them down on the ground, with you still grabbing them. If the person hits "resist" enough times, this can be a harder to do than most think. Why not make it to where if you throw them down from Grab Intent, it knocks the wind out of them and leaves them stunned for a pit? Or make the "Disarm" shove do far less, as most times when I got shoved, I was able to scramble back to my feet almost immediately.

2. When on the ground, if you reinforce, it seems to go STRAIGHT to strangling. Rather than make it go STRAIGHT to choking the opponent, why not make it to where it first pins them so you can detain them without harming them? THEN, if you reinforce Grab after that, THEN it starts choking. It'd work for stopping someone without the risk of eventually killing them or harming them.

3. The LEAST likely to get approved and of SMALLEST importance, but I thought it would be neat if, say, like when you Harm and your focus is on the head, your strikes or weapon is geared towards the head, focus is on the arm it's geared towards the arm, etc. Why not make it so that if your focus is on the arm from Grab, if you go on the ground, instead of CHOKING, have it TWIST his arm in a jointlock that damages the arm the same as if you had cut his hand or something, prevents him from using it so well, Focus on the LEG and it makes him limp or slow him down?

Just suggestions, if anyone finds them interesting.

I wouldnt mind improvements to grabbing at all. It seems like the only option you have as someone getting harassed by greytide is to disarm them or hit them with something big enough they'll get scared but not big enough you'll get ahelped for it.

Note: calling security isnt really an option when youre on with 80 people and 3 officers

Edited by Valkuma
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AzraelKnightquest said:

1. When you Grab and then Reinforce, you grab them Aggressively. Reinforce one or two times seems to throw them down on the ground, with you still grabbing them. If the person hits "resist" enough times, this can be a harder to do than most think. Why not make it to where if you throw them down from Grab Intent, it knocks the wind out of them and leaves them stunned for a pit? Or make the "Disarm" shove do far less, as most times when I got shoved, I was able to scramble back to my feet almost immediately.

I like this, but I can see a situation where you say... have a greytide taking out a security officer in full gear because he had a higher ping than the sec officer and hit first. It also reinforces the stun-based combat we have already. Which is something I kinda disagree with. But that is only my personal opinion.

2. When on the ground, if you reinforce, it seems to go STRAIGHT to strangling. Rather than make it go STRAIGHT to choking the opponent, why not make it to where it first pins them so you can detain them without harming them? THEN, if you reinforce Grab after that, THEN it starts choking. It'd work for stopping someone without the risk of eventually killing them or harming them.

I actually quite like this, it certainly makes it easier to detain people without running off. But I really would only like to see this implemented on one condition, that the person doing the restraining cannot do anything else the person at the same time (E.G cuffing). That way, we don't perpetuate the stun-based combat I talked about in the first section. (Which doesn't need any more buffs I might add)

3. The LEAST likely to get approved and of SMALLEST importance, but I thought it would be neat if, say, like when you Harm and your focus is on the head, your strikes or weapon is geared towards the head, focus is on the arm it's geared towards the arm, etc. Why not make it so that if your focus is on the arm from Grab, if you go on the ground, instead of CHOKING, have it TWIST his arm in a jointlock that damages the arm the same as if you had cut his hand or something, prevents him from using it so well, Focus on the LEG and it makes him limp or slow him down?

I deeply like this, it adds more subtlety to combat which is something a player with skill could take advantage of.  

Overall, I really like your ideas. Thanks for posting them. It's something I would really like to see in-game.

• Like 2

I appreciate the support, Saul. I was also thinking maybe we could make it a TOUCH easier to grab them in the first place. It's VERY hard to grab them and pull something off easily if they can resist so quickly and almost IMMEDIATELY get out of it. I'm not against them being able to resist and break free of the grip (that's just a good thing to have) but in general, I'd like the idea of using a Judo/Wrestling form of combat to defend yourself easier. Hopefully, someone more experience like you, can recommend this to a coder that might be interested.

I'm pretty sure that this was suggested before. But I would like a flat cooldown on the resist button. That would make it easier for this to work, and fix a number of things

Edited by Saul Argon
Muh Gramzorz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In support of wrestling people to the ground and keeping them there. Much better and more fitting to some peoples' characters to be able to use joint locks and pins, as opposed to attempting to strangle them only for them to effortlessly stand up, push a button and go back to exactly whatever awful thing they were trying to do to you before.

Edited by Goyru
Typo
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use