Learning new languages at the library!

Fhufuu

This would make librarian a bit more useful, but as well as make other things... more fun for people that would like to understand more languages or branch out.

I just thought of it on a whim. We can brainstorm it more and make it something else. This is basically what I thought of:

What if the librarian could order books from their computer, that allows for learning other languages? That'd be cool, right? A human speaking Binary. A Vox speaking Drask. Machine Speaking Slime language. Though of course.. this might conflict with some languages lore wise. I think slime would be a prime example... I don't know how it is, but im fairly certain its by their own body, squishing, jiggling and etc. Just... I doubt a human could do that.

Regardless. "Whats not keeping someone to power game and learn all the languages as a librarian." Well... of course limits have to be put. So I thought of people having "Memory". Just like the pAIs on how they have 100Ram and a number of program.

For example Binary could cost 1 or 2 memory points. Skrell language(I don't know the name) Could be 3.

Of course these are random numbers and these should be... thought of by either a general consensus, or the Admins/Coders.

So... yea.. Thats.. the basics of my Suggestion. Im.. pretty something like that might've been brought up. Thought up, or maybe even exists in another server. I don't know.

But... yea. This would make the library more useful... make people have more fun messing around with different languages. Limit them lore wise, memory wise.

This would be really, really cool to me and im sure a lot of people could enjoy that.

So? how about it?

There was a PR that once existed that would have allowed the various races on the Station to learn an additional species language as a secondary language at character generation, and it was shot down hard (by myself as well as others) because several of these languages are (fluff-wise) totally unspeakable by other species - For example, rootspeak really isn't a vocalization a non-Diona would be able to make. Same for the Vulp language - Yes, a human might be able to bark and whine appropriately, but some of the language is based on relative tail and ear positioning.

EDIT: I could support this kind of system for something like Gutter, Tradeband, or even Clownish.

There was a PR that once existed that would have allowed the various races on the Station to learn an additional species language as a secondary language at character generation, and it was shot down hard (by myself as well as others) because several of these languages are (fluff-wise) totally unspeakable by other species - For example, rootspeak really isn't a vocalization a non-Diona would be able to make. Same for the Vulp language - Yes, a human might be able to bark and whine appropriately, but some of the language is based on relative tail and ear positioning.

EDIT: I could support this kind of system for something like Gutter, Tradeband, or even Clownish.

It wasn't shot down hard, as the polls were pretty close to 50% on this issue. I recall that quite clearly, as I was here when you could take secondary racial languages and was appalled by its abrupt removal (as were a lot of people) in one of TigerCat's PR's which refactored language.

Honestly any language that is able to be vocalized should be able to be taken as a secondary option - or at the very least if not spoken then understood.

I completely agree. Like I said, I used Slime people's Language, blubbish as an example in my post. They use their own body to talk. Althought it would still be nice to have like.. All the language that has vocal in them. The vulp language too, albeit it has like.. Ear and tail movement. You could always have it made be 'Broken' Vulp language.

(Note: New Vulp lore says that they developed a purely vocal form of their language (though they still prefer to use the full form) when their civilization discovered telecommunications)

I think we could do something cool with a simple cross-reference list in the language code of which species can learn to understand each language and which could learn to speak it.

We could probably also do something where someone can gain a limited understanding of a language (getting accented somehow and seeing omissions when others speak it) from shorter sessions with a language book, and then gaining full understanding with repeated sessions throughout the shift

I feel as if this would be useful at bridging the gap between some races, although I fear that it may send the current rp levels even lower than they are currently. I believe that it may be worth making this only work for non species specific languages.

I feel as if this would be useful at bridging the gap between some races, although I fear that it may send the current rp levels even lower than they are currently. I believe that it may be worth making this only work for non species specific languages.

Speaking from experience, allowing people of various races to fluently communicate with each other or understand those secret conversations tends to reduce bullshit cliqueish behaviour.

This is an overall boon to roleplay, and actually has alternate languages see greater use.

Polaris have special implant availible in loadout menu which allows organics to hear and produce sounds in Encoded Audio Language which is baystation counterpart of trinary in everything but inability of organics to hear it at all unless they have above mentioned implant. You stiil have to choose EAL as one of your languages to comprehend and speak it - just having implant is not enough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use