New Game mode - Liquidation

Taaketa

"SS13 was expensive to build. Justify our time and money spent is worth it to the board."

Liquidation - A Game mode focused on the economy behind SS13. Each round has two main objectives. Crew and Heads of Staff.

Heads of Staff Objective:

[*]Be the department with the most money[/]

Crew Objective:

[*]Be richest crew member leaving the station.[/]

AI Corporate Lawset/Objective:

• Law 1: You are expensive to replace.

• Law 2: The station and its equipment is expensive to replace.

Law 3: The crew is expensive to replace.

Law 4: Minimize expenses.

How does it work?

On spawn anyone who joins as a member of a specific department will receive an EFTPOS device to run charges through from people's accounts and charge it to their department's accounts. Each department is allowed to charge other station crew for their services. For example, engineering may request payments from other department heads including the HOP/Captain for air and electric supply to their section of the station.

Security may charge a nominal fee for call outs and more for more dangerous missions that require lethal weapons for example.

Medical may charge for treatment with each step of the process being charge for (diagnosis, advanced scanning, different types of treatment, surgery).

Cargo may charge administration and handling fees for delivering sending cargo and charge for Metal/Plasteel/Gold/Diamond as appropriate.

Research could end up making borgs and asking them to do the mining for them for example, or to control the electric supply/air supply. They could charge cargo for Ripleys and Mining drills or form an agreement to not charge each other.

For both cargo and research they would receive funds for research they have completed from CentComm as they will sell on any materials/research/mechs that science have completed.

And so and so forth. I think you get the idea. The aim is be the richest. There should be 2 versions, one with random events and one without.

Random events include:

• Meteors

• Blob

Xenomorphs

Outbreaks virus/fungus etc

Power failure/Gravity failure

Radiation

Please note things that should not take place in this round type:

Traitor

Nuke Ops

Cult

Malf AI

Xenomorhps on their ship.

As always the round can be ended with an Emergency shuttle call or a crew transfer. Please note that emergency shuttles are expensive so the Head of Department that calls for it must pay for it too.

Looks fun!

This also reminds me of goon somehow... What if crew could do things like this:

If the warmth and affection of your fellow station crew isn't enough to motivate you, miners have some other incentives to do their dirty work.

•  

Using your ID Card on a barcode printer will add your bank account information to any barcodes printed. A crate marked this way that ships from the Cargo Bay will split the sale profits with you, directly depositing to your account.

The Quartermasters themselves can occasionally get their hands on stuff that is useful to you, and generally look for a fair trade.

The special ores in the mining field are required for a lot of higher-end gear and constructions. Cool armor and Pod equipment are some of the best stuff you can only get with the work of miners.

Miners are also in a good position to go on salvaging missions in deep space, finding cool loot and making money in more dangerous but also more exciting conditions.

I would dismiss this as 'Bureaucracy: The Game Mode', but when I really think about it, it would actually just be Nations on crack. Having every department charge money for basic services would massively discourage cooperation between departments, and drive a huge wedge between departments much faster and effectively then nations does. After all, your goal given to you by Nanotransen is to be the richest, so why buy anything from anybody when you can just send an underling to steal and pillage it for you?

It also fracture Nation's nationalism factor, the only thing preventing it from becoming complete free-for-all chaos, by having every crew member want to become the richest individual person. How else would a lowly cargo tech do that, I wonder, other then by turning on his rich, oppressive quartermaster and torturing his PIN out of him?

I see Roboticists kidnapping greyshirts and turning them into service borgs to create automatic dosh factories. I see medbay and R&D teaming up as always, until the CMO suddenly activates the EMP on the RD's mech and the medical underlings appearing out of the maint halls to ambush him and take his spacepesos. I see an assistant winning at the slots and getting a cool million spacepesos, only to be hunted down by all departments for the rest of the round hoping for their grab of the loot.

... then again, considering the ruleset on this server, yeah, it would probably just turn into a boring trying-to-rp-beauracracy-while-everyone-hates-each-other-but-cant-do-anything-about-it simulator, where the only way to possibly complete your objectives is to be the HoS and charge poor engineering 50 spacepesos a minute for 'mandatory patrols'.

100% whine

I'm not sure what your contribution is other than "This isn't fun because A) People will kill each other to become rich B) That won't happened because this server does RP.

Anything more thought provoking than that?

Going back to the original idea.

Allow the Captain, HOP and AI to force departments to pay fines.

Eg:

Medical decide the best way to get more money is to release a virus on the station and then 'cure' everyone for a fee. They get caught, they get fined.

Engineering don't get paid so they drain the air and shutdown an entire department. They get fined for stopping money making taking place.

Security start arresting people without sufficient evidence as to how it effects the productivity of the station. They get fined.

So and so forth.

100% whine

I'm not sure what your contribution is other than "This isn't fun because A) People will kill each other to become rich B) That won't happened because this server does RP.

Anything more thought provoking than that?

Because making valid predictions about how the idea would turn out if it was implemented couldn't possibly contribute anything to this discussion, right? Wait, no, that's the entire fucking process of deciding whether it's a good idea worth implementing or not.

Besides, the entire point of the post was talking about how great the idea could be, so your damage control was both shitty and unnecessary.

Taaketa, your responses to criticism of your idea really isn't contributing to discussion and, to be honest, makes you seem like a prat. NTXUb made some valid points and I can see where he's coming from. I quite honestly would not be surprised if such things that he mentioned did happen. There are already people who kill each other for those idiotic cat ears for chrissakes.

Charging for basic services is one thing, but there needs to be a way for everyone to be able to facilitate income. If every class isn't able to have some sort of way to do that, then I would not be surprised of two thirds of the population an hour into the round has to resort to mugging if they want to get healed or have the least bit of interest in the gamemode. You'll have folks hovering around ATMs towards round end waiting for someone to make a withdrawal, not to mention you'll have people dying in medbay because they're refused treatment cause they can't pay for it. As a surgical player, I am familiar with people who refuse treatment to patients for the pettiest reasons such as not turning on suit sensors, not to mention everyone complains enough about Medical's performance plenty of times that there doesn't need to be a gamemode to pretty much encourage malpractice.

Lastly, on this vessel, we are all employees of the same corporation. Consider that for a moment. I can understand a bartender charging for a drink or chef charging for some food. You know, basic stuff. But you don't see the engineers on the USS Enterprise in Star Trek charging operations for installing their equipment, or the first officer taking out his pocketbook to pay them for fixing the helm after a battle, and you don't see Kirk asking Spock to run some scans only for him to turn his head and say, "I'm sorry, Captain, but you must pay me the logical amount to scan this anomaly."

That is a ridiculous example, as the difference here is a corporation vs starfleet and dystopian vs utopian settings, an example meant to be somewhat humorous. However my point is that, we're all working on the same team (Except for the traitors, of course) and this bureaucracy, like NTXUb said, will not facilitate any sort of cooperation and will end up just having people turning into ravenous money hungry wolves towards the end. If that's your idea of fun, then sure, that's fine. However I am simply putting in my input that this idea is not my cup of tea.

I could maybe see this working on Baystation with a few changes but I really do not ever see it working on Paradise. It pretty much forces Roleplay-something that should never happen on Para.

Taaketa, your responses to criticism of your idea really isn't contributing to discussion and, to be honest, makes you seem like a prat. NTXUb made some valid points and I can see where he's coming from. I quite honestly would not be surprised if such things that he mentioned did happen. There are already people who kill each other for those idiotic cat ears for chrissakes.

Yeah but your thoughts are not a diatribe of "this is why it's bad." Also, yes, I am a prat, thank you for noticing.

Charging for basic services is one thing, but there needs to be a way for everyone to be able to facilitate income. If every class isn't able to have some sort of way to do that...

Payment will be received from their department head similar to how other servers provide a payments system for work performed. What the department head pays now is another matter entirely.

You'll have folks hovering around ATMs towards round end waiting for someone to make a withdrawal,

No need to withdraw money that is the point of the EPOS devices.

not to mention you'll have people dying in medbay because they're refused treatment cause they can't pay for it.

They need to work harder then.

As a surgical player, I am familiar with people who refuse treatment to patients for the pettiest reasons such as not turning on suit sensors, not to mention everyone complains enough about Medical's performance plenty of times that there doesn't need to be a gamemode to pretty much encourage malpractice.

Again kind of the point for the gamemode. Happens in real life builders are shoddy to so they come back to fix the work they should've done correctly. The Captain, HOP and AI are the neutral parties who there to enforce a money making station. If departments are failing at completing their jobs effectively and efficiency wasting other department's time they can take action as they see fit. Incompetent medbay then nice little fine for them.

But you don't see the engineers on the USS Enterprise in Star Trek charging operations for installing their equipment, or the first officer taking out his pocketbook to pay them for fixing the helm after a battle, and you don't see Kirk asking Spock to run some scans only for him to turn his head and say, "I'm sorry, Captain, but you must pay me the logical amount to scan this anomaly."

The Federation is not an organisation focused on creating money. A more relevant Star Trek reference would've been the Ferengi whom are a successful civilisation based on profit by any means necessary look no further than their Rules of Acquisition

We're all working on the same team (Except for the traitors, of course) and this bureaucracy, like NTXUb said, will not facilitate any sort of cooperation

I have not suggested that paperwork is a requirement of this game, just simply that staff are expected to pay for all services. It is a frequent thing that comes up on paradise though. I can't remember how often I see Med bay declaring all treatments must be paid for.

will end up just having people turning into ravenous money hungry wolves towards the end. If that's your idea of fun, then sure, that's fine. However I am simply putting in my input that this idea is not my cup of tea.

Not if no one knows who is the richest. People could feel they are minted by the end of the round if they are doing their job's correctly. Within the context of the server rules I'd see this game mode working.

They need to work harder then.

You're still under the impression that anybody in this game mode would actually spend money on anything or make any honest money instead of just stealing everything, the only actual way to win?

You're still under the impression that anybody in this game mode would actually spend money on anything or make any honest money instead of just stealing everything, the only actual way to win?

What would they steal since no one would be carrying any money anyway?

What would they steal since no one would be carrying any money anyway?

Their ID, all the stuff they were selling, and maybe drag em off into the maint halls and torture their PIN out of them with a shard of glass?

Their ID, all the stuff they were selling, and maybe drag em off into the maint halls and torture their PIN out of them with a shard of glass?

1: If the person has a pin in place the ID will be useless to them. Which for this game mode I would insist that is the default setting for ATMs.

2: Someone bring dragged off and tortured is ok. Murdering boning is not ok according to server rules. Then said person could report other person to sec and pay them for an arrest -_-.

Also stealing, I'm not too sure what could be stolen from medical, engineering or atmos. Although again in my original point I did say some departments may try to steal electric from the solars and I'm ok with that.

Department heads also should keep their staff in line. Staff who are stealing are staff who aren't doing their job so they'll be staff that'll get no pay/demoted.

Yeah, how about the whole, say, security going full thug and running around mugging and torturing people (HoS will pretty much become a gang leader)? Engineering making breaches everywhere, or filling the entire station with N2O? Scientists going apeshit, hacking AI, building mechs to guzzle the cash from all other crew (not to mention they can both make extremely powerful bombs, and the means to repair the breaches).

The point is: why do you think heads will keep their departments in line instead of going for a powergrab?

Not the point of the round type. Similar to how it's obvious when there are traitors or revs onboard when blue alert sounds everyone doesn't drop everything to search and strip people.

Not the point of the round type. Similar to how it's obvious when there are traitors or revs onboard when blue alert sounds everyone doesn't drop everything to search and strip people.
Automatic blue alert happens in every gamemode. Even extended.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea for this gametype. A lot.

Nanotrasen is a company. And just as many real-world companies it has several departments which get their individual budgets. Even within the same corporate enviroment it is normal for departments to pay each other for their services to keep their accounting proper (a certain amount of energy (money) put into a service/product must pay for itself).

This gamemode could work quite well. The captain/AI live off of fines they can charge following nanotrasen laws and will mostly be overseers during these rounds. The security department will assist the other departments where needed for a price. If a crewmember can't pay his medical bill he'll have to check his respective head for mercy, after all the head wants the crewmember back to work to earn money. Selling illegal goods will off course still be punishable by laws.

Mugging and general annoyance between departments is a great feature to have. Muggers that are found will be fined by Captain/AI (up to all of their money) and held jailed by security who in return gain some money for holding the prisoner. If the prisoner doesn't get demoted he can try his hand at making money again once he's out of jail.

This gamemode would give some rounds that differ nicely from the usual ones.

EDIT:

The Federation is not an organisation focused on creating money. A more relevant Star Trek reference would've been the Ferengi whom are a successful civilisation based on profit by any means necessary look no further than their Rules of Acquisition

Those rules are fabulous!

We'd probably need to find a way to prevent individuals from declining the importance of the department.

Perhaps list at the end:

- Captains assets

- Richest department

- Richest player from above department

- Richest grayshirt

- Clowns tip money

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use