How to Guage the Difference of Pressure

Sparkyninja

TL;DR Ear Popping.

Backround: I was on a run early morning and paused for a brief respite on the running path. In the 10-15 seconds I felt a sudden drop in temperature and a noticeable drop in pressure, looked up and saw a heavy as fuck raincloud overhead. Now while I may have been soaked through as expected, it did give me an idea:

-That crewmembers, perhaps only humans (as I wouldn't even fathom as to the anatomy of other alien species) would be able to sense the change in pressure by either their ears popping (Simulating a drop) or their ears hurting (Simulating a raise in pressure). This wouldn't be a massive change in terms of gameplay, and would create a little bit of flavour that could help a player be more aware of their surroundings. Such sensations would be delivered using small notifications in the text box, similar in size as say text, perhaps in red to make it a little noticeable.

In terms of code I wouldn't have the foggiest notion as to how it'd work however, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too complex or overbearing on the server, as I'm sure there is an interaction between mobs and pressure already, just having a few designated pressures where this might kick in would be all that is required.

I imagine the sensation would be more pronounced for species with more sensitive ears.

Perhaps severely low pressure causing nosebleeds (ever been to a baseball stadium with seats that go really high?) :')

I imagine the sensation would be more pronounced for species with more sensitive ears.

Perhaps severely low pressure causing nosebleeds (ever been to a baseball stadium with seats that go really high?) :')

So that's why they're called the nosebleeds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use