Area Suggestions

Fathuran

As you guys know, an expansion to departures along with the addition of a hallway has been added to the station. This is in preparation for new areas and additions, such as the planned museum. I thought I might as well toss out this thread to help spark discussion of what people would like to see added. Whether you want to see changes to the structure of a department, whole new swaths to fill that new and currently empty hallway, or even the most minor changes of architecture for ease of life. I'm hoping we can have a dialogue about the design of the station.

As for my own suggestions, they have to do with departures, as well as the escape shuttle.

SpaceStation132014-03-04180632_zps1642902a.png

Don't get me wrong, the larger shuttle was certainly a most welcome thing when it was implemented, however while this screenshot may not show it, I'm sure any of you can realize the chaos of such enclosed walkways in SS13 when there's a lot of people. I propose that it might be due for another minor expansion to it. Wider paths between the seats at the very least.

I also think part of the problem, when dealing with large populations trying to pile into the shuttle, is getting there itself.

SpaceStation132014-03-05135748_zpsda47ec9b.png

These tiny, one tile wide halls are a total nightmare as most of you can guess, especially when everyone is guaranteed to have different intents. Making these halls perhaps two tiles wide can likely give much needed breathing room. It may look awkward unless two tile wide red airlocks are created in the same sense as the double glass airlocks, but it can serve to make departures a lot less frustrating.

Additionally, while we're at it, why not add a third departures pathway? There is now a large gap between the top path and the club that it feels pretty empty.

SpaceStation132014-03-05135223_zpsacd3de9d.png

It can be a general pathway, sure, but why not have a one tile wide pathway with command-level access airlocks that leads directly to the cockpit? This way the heads, rep, and blueshields have a secure route for themselves and there is less inherent risk of crewmembers being able to pile in due to the airlocks within the vessel are currently the only means of getting to the cockpit.

One final minor point, it might be good to extend the airlock pathways outward a couple tiles, as in the last screenshot you can see the club extends further out than the docking area.

Anyway, those are my suggestions, please put forth what you guys think and if you have any suggestions for the station yourself, please toss them out and let's have a discussion.

I recommend you have a look at Metastations solution as it's a map designed to hold around 80 to 90 people. For escape shuttle ideas. Meta himself puts 2 2x2 airlock access on his escape corridor. I have to say I also like Metastation's size too. A lot of the areas feel a lot less clastrophobic and it is much more fun for large populations.

I definitely agree with the two-tile-wide hallways idea, since there's always that one guy who blocks the path with an ambulance.

As for new areas, I think what this, and every station needs is a paintball/airsoft arena of some kind, complete with guns. Oh, and of course, a bigger holo deck would be nice, for all those 60-man-server-trials.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use