R&D access for Robotics and vice versa (Never mind)

ProperPants

Robotics would be ludicrously less stressful if Roboticists could have access to the R&D console. Roboticists could make diagnostic HUDs, nanopaste, surgery tools, and upgrades for their machines without having to rely on anyone else. They already have access to the room, so why not the console?

Before anyone says to just get another person to make upgrades and whatnot, know that doing so is such a fucking monumental task. Many rounds the other scientists won't even respond on comms when I ask for anything. They don't say that they're busy or just won't do it - they ignore Robotics. Robotics is a unique section of science, yes, but they shouldn't be excluded from the rest of the department. If that's the case, then other subdivisions of science should be exclusive; restrict the Test Lab only to people who chose "Chemical Researcher" as a job, and the same for "Xenobiologist" and "Plasma Researcher."

I know Roboticists used to be able to use the R&D console and I don't understand why that's no longer the case. If the fear is about stealing materials, a decent person will share or be dealt with by the Research Director.

P.S. Roboticists should start with Diagnostic HUDs like how (I assume) medical and security start with their HUDs.

Edited by Guest

this just makes robotics scientists with less access

Yes. It also makes Robotics not be forced to rely on scientists which may or may not be friendly or helpful in any way. The rest of science does not need Robotics, so Robotics should not need science. At some point, a scientist can easily set up an exosuit fabricator, which when combined with the circuit printer already in R&D, totally negates Robotics.

Biggest reason is so that robotics can't make big stompy deathmechs without having to ask a scientist or the RD.

The easiest solution is to just put a protolathe in Robotics; that's basically my only problem. It could replace that table holding an empty book - right between the circuit imprinter and the Robotics console. I know this allows Robotics make the capacitors and scanning modules for the more dangerous mechs, but the RD has the Mech Monitor in their office for a reason. The last server I played on (Hypatia?) made constructed mechs automatically be built with exosuit trackers, so I know that is possible, and probably relatively easy, to code.

Of course I could just not play Roboticist since I've never heard others complain about this, but still. Those "dangerous" parts still usually get made after an ask or two, but getting every piece of equipment and upgrade is such a frustrating task.

Of course I could just not play Roboticist since I've never heard others complain about this, but still. Those "dangerous" parts still usually get made after an ask or two, but getting every piece of equipment and upgrade is such a frustrating task.

It literally takes seconds to get these things.

If you can find someone who can be bothered to get them. Otherwise it takes 15 minutes or just doesn't happen.

Abandon thread and screw me. I guess my problem is with the players and not the game.

Biggest reason is so that robotics can't make big stompy deathmechs without having to ask a scientist or the RD.

yeah. Also why are those mech weapons not in lockboxes? It just seems down right irresponsible

If you can find someone who can be bothered to get them. Otherwise it takes 15 minutes or just doesn't happen.

Abandon thread and screw me. I guess my problem is with the players and not the game.

Protolathe is super easy to get as a Robotics.

There is a board in tech storage, and an autolathe board to boot, west of Custodial Closet/Janitor office. Grab 2 small beakers from RnD, 1 micro and a console screen and disassemble one fabricator, use those matter bins and you have everything you need to construct your own protolathe. Pester RnD nerds to do their job and print a port chem dispenser and you're basically self sufficient so long as mining is doing their part. Robotics becomes my fort of autism when I can be bothered to play the role, it just gets too boring waiting for other people to work.

If nobody is doing that, just go to the HoP/Captain and ask for Toxins access so you can do RnD.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use