Emagging drones

Arenn

I think if you can override the drones' lawset, you should be able to emag the drone controller (the console by the machine) or perhaps just the machine itself, to override every drone that comes out of there's lawset. Maybe incorporate a way to revert the change if its found out, I just wanna see if the idea to emag the source gets any traction. Though i'm pretty sure its gonna be called out for being too op

He meant the controller/machine, not the drone.

As in, he suggested the ability to hack the machine that constructs the drones.

It'd be great if more people could read the actual suggestion before posting, tbh.

He meant the controller/machine, not the drone.

As in, he suggested the ability to hack the machine that constructs the drones.

It'd be great if more people could read the actual suggestion before posting, tbh.

Yes, I know he suggested to emagg the actual controller but I just wanted to point out the drones are emaggable because many people do not know this, then again many people forget drones exist. Sorry for the confusion.

And after some thought, I think just being able to hack the actual drone manufacturer for instant emagged drones is better than hacking the console.

Great, so the drone would probably have to actively look for the traitor to be given orders...

Most people don't even look at the drone fabricator. You'd need a semi-obvious way to tell it's been emagged.

There's also the possibility that ghosts would join drones (knowing that they will be emagged on spawn) so they can legally help the antag. How would they know? Drone talk to coordinate multiple emagged drones. Ghosts can see that.

If a single non-emagged drone finds out, would it be able allowed to blow all the emagged drones using the console? (think about drone laws - drones are allowed to interact with other drones AFAIR)

Even if a traitor dies after emagging the console, new drones will still be emagged and possibly confused.

No thanks.

Great, so the drone would probably have to actively look for the traitor to be given orders...

Most people don't even look at the drone fabricator. You'd need a semi-obvious way to tell it's been emagged.

There's also the possibility that ghosts would join drones (knowing that they will be emagged on spawn) so they can legally help the antag. How would they know? Drone talk to coordinate multiple emagged drones. Ghosts can see that.

If a single non-emagged drone finds out, would it be able allowed to blow all the emagged drones using the console? (think about drone laws - drones are allowed to interact with other drones AFAIR)

Even if a traitor dies after emagging the console, new drones will still be emagged and possibly confused.

No thanks.

They can send reboot commands through the console, maybe put that to a fix for emagging them? And as i said, make a way to reset the machine, maybe open a maintenance panel, cut and rewire the wiring? I dunno, again, I was just throwing a dart at the board to see how far I'd miss. Drones ARE allowed to interact with other drones, so they could reset the machine and reboot all the messed up drones.

Emagged drones don't respond to fabricator commands, it's one of the few give aways that a drone is emagged if you try to send a shutdown command to it via the fabricator and nothing happens.

As the ability to create a limitless army of emagged drones? No thanks. Drones are extremely potent ally for a traitor, even a solo one, to give him a near infinite source of them from one emagg swipe would be insane, even if the drone(s) can't physically find the traitor, he can always pocket one and use it as a proto-pai and have it use drone speak to carry out his orders and demands.

As stated above, ghosted players would probably join for the simple fact that they'd get an antag token and pretty free reign to tear apart the station like some half rate swarmers.

If you want an army of tator drones, do it the old fashion way and emag one and have it summon others for conversion.

Emagged drones don't respond to fabricator commands, it's one of the few give aways that a drone is emagged if you try to send a shutdown command to it via the fabricator and nothing happens.

Sorry, for some reason I've forgotten that (even though I faced this situation quite a few times).

This makes auto-traitor drones even worse, because if you've got a misbehaving emagged drone (griefer drone or just bad player drone), you and AI would need to find it in order to destroy it.

Okay, I guess I could reword it so it has a chance? That way, it still has to use the emag for not a guaranteed effect? There isn't much risk to using the emag above being caught using it, everything is face-value reward usually. Maybe roll this idea into some sort of batch of new emag things and make them all chance-y.

Maybe roll this idea into some sort of batch of new emag things and make them all chance-y.

I have to mention that we had RNG-based emagging (was it APCs?) removed for a reason.

What is the point of having a random percentage of drones automatically emagged? It's the same stuff. Great, so how would you even know that this particular emagged drone is your ally (when you're the traitor)?

We have no need for that.

Maybe roll this idea into some sort of batch of new emag things and make them all chance-y.

I have to mention that we had RNG-based emagging (was it APCs?) removed for a reason.

I believe you're talking about cyborgs, they have/had a chance to fail without being noticed of said failure.

I believe you're talking about cyborgs, they have/had a chance to fail without being noticed of said failure.

I think it was both. I remember a PR removing the last RNG aspect of emags, mentioning that originally there was more than one.

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/1297

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/1290

There you have it.

Cant we just make it so emagging the drone fabricator will only make the next drone that pops out be rogue, and also notifying the drone whodunnit?

Problems are still there:

1. Drone has to find the traitor in order to receive orders. The drone will have to do something fancy in front of the traitor so the traitor would notice it. Other players may see it as a direct violation off the law "do not interact with crew/organics". As such, various conclusions may be drawn by players.

2. Traitor has to know if the drone is in fact emagged. Giving orders to a non-emagged drone would be fruitless and risky as someone could witness it.

Granted, these arguments may not work against the feature itself, but they work against the feasilibty of the actual tactic.

I think that we ought to reduce confusion in a round, especially for antags. It's even worse than if you mindslaved someone at a distance - the new antagonist won't even have the tools to find you (no PDA messaging, no pinpointer, no radio comms, no talking, any attempt at communication will be suspicious).

Emagged drones are a disposable commodity. You emag them once, give them orders once, and off they go on a suicidal mission.

How are you even going to give the first orders?

Why not make it so you can set an order after emagging the machinery shit up or something?

That way, they won't have to hunt you down to do the job.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use