Gateway explorer revamp concept

Alex6511

Recently, away missions have become somewhat trivial. One of two things will usually happen for gateway explorers, they either rush through the loot fest that was once known as a challenge course and loot super gear, due to the trivial nature of cheesing the gauntlet, or they just ignore it / mess around with xenos / beach party. I really think this is a disservice to the away mission system, and we could do better.

I've been brainstorming and I've come up with a concept to try to re-energize interest in away missions and make them more fun, keeping in mind feedback given on github to the proposed removal of away missions, as well as some ideas from Kei.

1. Make gateway explorer a karma job (this, combined with corner, would mean there is now a karma job in every department)

2. Make it so that any "lethal" or otherwise "high value" loot is removed from your inventory upon returning from an away mission.

3. Change away mission fluff to be more about going to off-site locations and "securing" (stealing, in some cases) high value research data to further NT. This research data could be used in RnD to progress research much quicker.

4. Add more away missions overall, some of which would be considerably more deadly, some of which would be more mundane.

5. Missions would in theory, be designed to test different aspects of the players abilities. One might require knowledge of engineering to get power back online, while one might require you to be robust

Notes:

*Job would probably be around 30 karma mark, maybe more, as it is meant for experienced players.

*Should make away missions useful, without them becoming a loot fest

Thoughts?

What about a mission cracking a safe open but theres clues

Hidden over all the place some place you need to be robust but the other place you need be smart

I would like to see more puzzles with all factors in it instead of a

Emitter maze of lov*death*

What about a mission cracking a safe open but theres clues

Hidden over all the place some place you need to be robust but the other place you need be smart

I would like to see more puzzles with all factors in it instead of a

Emitter maze of lov*death*

The problem with puzzles is the code is entirely open sourced, meaning you can just open up the Git and see the answer, meanwhile you can be artifically robust with any amount of medkits and paitence.

I'd rather keep the maps as fun things to explore and make your own rather then having prizes at the end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use