Paramedic Items/EMS alert

Munks

During my time on the server, I've noticed two items which kind of hinder both job performance and response from emergency services (Security and Medical). TL;DR at bottom of post.

First item is the difficulty in requesting assistance, it's not uncommin for shouting in all caps "MEDICAL TO SCIENCE"/MEDICAL TO SEC"/"MEDICAL TO MEDICAL" to elicit no response whatsoever, either because Common is flooded with people screaming about explosions or the departments just not paying attention. To help with this, I think it'd be nice if there was at least one wall-mounted Emergency Services notifier in each department, as well as in each wing of the main hall (Starboard, Port/Arrivals, Aft, Fore). By swiping your keycard, the terminal would light up and by clicking on it you could choose Security or Medical which would send an alert to people with the corresponding PDA cartridge installed (Medical priority going to Paramedic if one is present, however, to sort of alleviate the issue of Medical Doctors/Surgeons/Morticians responding to calls when the Paramedic has nothing to do. If the paramedic doesn't read the message in a short amount of time, say 30 seconds, it is sent department-wide) as well as the main corresponding terminals for each department (Crew Monitors for Medical, and Camera Monitors for Security). AI would be notified as well.

The swiped ID would be logged to keep people from swiping them and running away just to fuck with people, like what happens with fire alarms. If neither security or medical is selected, an automatic call would go out to both, in case someone was too busy being assaulted to choose an option or passed out before they could. However, before this period of time is up, the swiped ID could be entered again, cancelling the alert. This presents Traitors with the choice of either taking the time to take the ID off the incapacitated crewmember, cancel the alert, and risk manual detection; or using that time to flee the scene as fast as possible. The terminal can also be emagged, which would make it appear to be fully functional but never actually sending out a call. The sabotage can be detected either by removing the circuit board, or exposing the wires and using a multitool.

================================================================

Another thing which would mostly be a quality of life change for paramedics would be the addition of special gear and functionality to the ambulance bed. Currently in my opinion, the ambulance is a bit cumbersome, and with the ease with which the bed detaches, a bit more trouble than it's worth when someone is in need of immediate medical care. Another issue is that people aren't recognizing the special purpose of the Paramedic role: pre-hospital care. Just like it's irritating for me when Medical Doctors do my job and I have nothing to do, I imagine the same situation exists when a paramedic carries around a full supply of medical equipment and treat everyone on the scene instead of transporting them to medbay. Another issue is that due to our mobile nature, we don't have immediate access to the supplies in medbay, nor can we carry around a bunch of medkits because of the need for the defibrillator.

I propose that the medical bed be equipped with it's own battery slot, and some additional equipment: an intubator, which halts Oxygen Loss damage but does not reduce it OR the cause; a mounted dialysis machine which halts toxin damage; a skin glue dispenser which reduces brute damage to, at most, 100; and a toggleable hyperbaric cover which reduces burn damage to at most 100 and reduces, but doesn't eliminate, radiation illness.

All these systems would be independently activated, but each would add their own drain to the battery. The ambulance bed would also be intended for the option to use it without the ambulance tug, sacrificing speed for easier handling of the bed. When riding on the ambulance, the option to shiftclick open doors, similar to AI, BUT NOT CLOSE THEM (to hinder its use as an escape vehicle) could be present as well. The ambulance door access could be determined by an ID scanned into the tug ignition key; and the bed location could be permanently indicated on the crew monitor as long as it has a battery installed.

===================================================

I apologize in advance if these are sort of overly ambitious or outlandish requests, I'm just looking for way to increase the gap between Paramedics and MDs because the general sentiment towards the Paramedic role currently is just "blue doctor". I tried to limit their criminal potential while still adding some sort of benefit or counter for traitor interaction. This is the first time i've gone and made a big request like this, and I'm open to criticism or suggestions.

TL;DR:

+Wall mounted Emergency Service pagers

---Scan ID to activate, choose Security or Medical to send alert (AI included in both)

---If neither is chosen in 30 seconds, automatic alert sent to all three

---Alert sent to PDAs with security/medical cartridges installed, and Crew/Camera Montitor consoles

---Paramedic PDAs are prioritized for the PDA message, but all Crew Monitors/CMO PDA will show the alert

---If the Paramedic does not acknowledge within 30sec, all medical personnel are alerted

---Can be cancelled during 30 second interval by swiping ID again

---Can be emagged to intercept alert

---Sabotage detectable only by removing circuitry or exposing wires and using multitool

+Ambulance Bed

---Independent battery source

---Mounted equipment to interrupt the four major damage types and preserve the patient for transport to medbay, but NOT treat underlying issue

---Can be located on the crew monitor as long as a battery is installed

---Intended for use with or without tug attached

+Ambulance Tug

---Shift-Click open doors, can NOT close

---Access determined by scanning ID on tug ignition key

The Ambulance itself is an abomination, I'd rather the Paramedic starts with the materials to build an Odysseus. Ody parts + Cards + mounted sleeper. Can get extra sleeper(s) or syringe gun from robotics, as well as power cell upgrades.

Though, the ability for Request consoles to ping/summon medical services would be nice, I know nobody outside of Cargo ever uses them, but having some kind of panic button that sends an SOS over the medical radio channel would be nifty.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use