Wryn Discussion Thread

Deanthelis

As you are all probably not aware at all, we merged in two races from Apollo a little while ago, the Wryn and the Nucleation - the PR for it is here: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/1058

Currently, neither are player-accessible races; they're mostly untested, and are admin-spawn only at the moment, much like Vox Armalis.

Unlike Vox Armalis, however, they don't all have crazy, insane superpowers, and could potentially become player-accessible karma races.

Ergo, I have taken it upon myself to haphazardly throw together a few pages of lore for the Wryn - the TL;DR for them is "Bug people from a cold death planet that can't speak well and talk in a hivemind." I've also put together a vague outline for a gamemode, based around one of the factions I made up. As I am talentless scum, however, I doubt it will ever become a real feature, because I cannot code for shit, and I don't see any room on our coders' plates for something this large, complicated, and possibly not worthwhile.

With my pessimistic opinion of my own work out of the way, here is the six-page google doc of the crap my brain vomited into the keyboard over the last four or so hours. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SXY ... J3awg/edit

Share your constructive criticism, but keep your thoughts on the lore and the gamemode separate - though the gamemode relies on the lore, it is independent of it, and I am not opposed to one existing without the other.

Wryn seems almost like an outright upgrade to Vox

Faster in cold, plus the same atmospheric resistance? Yeowch >> EDIT: Not same, slightly less-- my bad

RIP Vox leaping 2

Wryn are neither spaceproof nor coldproof, unlike Vox. They take damage at extremely low temperatures, and take damage in a complete vacuum.

Their advantage is they don't breathe - and, currently, they can't wear hardsuits, mostly for lack of modification kits. Oh, and they start taking damage slightly above room temperature, and are slower than humans in room temperature air, so they're more like weaker Diona.

Their punches do one damage, too. Literally as strong as the *slap emote.

"Silly and useless" is hardly constructive. If you think it's silly or useless, point out what it is that makes you think so, so it can be fixed.

Otherwise, you're just whining.

Wryn are neither spaceproof nor coldproof, unlike Vox. They take damage at extremely low temperatures, and take damage in a complete vacuum.

Their advantage is they don't breathe - and, currently, they can't wear hardsuits, mostly for lack of modification kits. Oh, and they start taking damage slightly above room temperature, and are slower than humans in room temperature air, so they're more like weaker Diona.

Thanks for summing that up, I misunderstood

vox raider + santa sack satchel ftw

Are assaulting Wryn and station-working Wryn (if they were to exist) on different 'hivemind-speak' languages so a station Wryn can't hear the Xabbat assault Wryn hiveminding to eachother about their dastardly plans, or nah?

Also-- and I know this is a random one: How do Wryn's bodies react to alcohol/common drugs? I'd imagine that due to their body mass being half that of a human and, also due to the nature of their bodies, drugs would be doubly as potent given human-sized doses and injections would be quite difficult since they have that empty space inside their chitinous exoskeleton

Additionally-- likewise with their slap-strength punches, would they also have a harder time disarming/pushing other people?

Finally (atleast for this post) and just to clarify, will this species be flagged with nobreathe like IPCs or nah?

Wasp people FTW.

The only thing that dosen't make sense here is the fact that bugs go into a forced hibernation at low temperatures. How about instead of taking damage at low temperature, they go to sleep and can't wake up until they warm up?

Wasp people FTW.

The only thing that dosen't make sense here is the fact that bugs go into a forced hibernation at low temperatures. How about instead of taking damage at low temperature, they go to sleep and can't wake up until they warm up?

Earth bugs, sure. These are space bugs, though; or, in other words, I wrote fluff that matched their game mechanics, because I have no say in how they function code-wise. That's an interesting idea, though. I tried to make it make as much sense as possible, but it's not perfect - the only explanation I have is "They are alien bugs that evolved in a much colder environment, and are better adapted to it as a result". It isn't a very strong one, I know.

Thanks for summing that up, I misunderstood

vox raider + santa sack satchel ftw

Are assaulting Wryn and station-working Wryn (if they were to exist) on different 'hivemind-speak' languages so a station Wryn can't hear the Xabbat assault Wryn hiveminding to eachother about their dastardly plans, or nah?

Also-- and I know this is a random one: How do Wryn's bodies react to alcohol/common drugs? I'd imagine that due to their body mass being half that of a human and, also due to the nature of their bodies, drugs would be doubly as potent given human-sized doses and injections would be quite difficult since they have that empty space inside their chitinous exoskeleton

Additionally-- likewise with their slap-strength punches, would they also have a harder time disarming/pushing other people?

Finally (atleast for this post) and just to clarify, will this species be flagged with nobreathe like IPCs or nah?

In order:

1: Currently, the gamemode does not exist, and is not coded. Should it be, the Xabbat should have their own hivemind, yes - good point.

2. Currently, the Wryn are affected by reagents in the same way humans are, they have no special resistance or vulnerability.

3. Weak punches just deal 1 damage, this have no affect on the Disarm intent. If I recall correctly, however, it means their punches will not Weaken enemies as often as human punches do - human punches deal 3 to 10 damage, and automatically weaken on a 10; all melee weapons have a chance to stun temporarily, however, but the chance is based on their damage output.

4. The Wryn player-race is already coded; and yes, they have the NO_BREATHE flag. Wryn don't need oxygen to survive, or any other gas, they just have to keep their body temperature above a minimum.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use