Guide to Flavor Text.

monkeysfist101

Your flavor text should be between two and four sentences about your character's general appearance. It should only be stuff that will not change on a moment's notice.

What you SHOULD include:

Height - Put this in metric with customary in parentheses. I know Most of us are from the US, but in the space future, we use metric.

Proximate age - If your character is 38, put that they appear in their mid to late twenties.

Accent - Unfortunately, it is hard to convey what accent, if any, your character is speaking in. Saying, "Ah, fack'n 'ell," could equally be Irish, English, or Australian. If you put it in your flavor text, you won't have to work as much towards trying to shove your accent down people's throats.

Demeanor - Is your character less than motivated? Put that their feet are dragging and there are bags under their eyes.

1-3 lifestyle clues - These are the subtle things that kick off RP. Are their gums brown from tobacco use? Do they have any noticeable scars or tattoos? This should be the meat of your character.

What you SHOULD NOT put in there:

Character name - If you are going into hiding, the fastest way to be found is to have a flavor text name that does not match your ID.

Things that you can already see - Chances are, if you went through cloning, you no longer have the "long auburn hair" from your flavor text. There's not need to state what people can see and chances are, it is different.

Facts that you can't see from a glance - Unless you have a diploma in your hand, There's no way for me to know you graduated business school with a minor in accounting.

Character emotion - Once again, don't just say that your character has recently fallen in love, convey it with your character's demeanor.

EXAMPLE:

The crewman before you stands approximately 183cm (6ft.) and appears in his early twenties. He has a single diamond ear ring in his left ear and walks with a slight limp on his right side. He keeps glancing over his shoulder as he walks and speaks with a German accent.

Keep in mind, everyone wants to slit their throats with a rusty knife each time your character's MYSTERIOUS PAST is revealed in their flavor text.

Seriously, don't put backstory.

For the sake of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide, I admit that I completely overdo it in the description department.

Also, as Nomzy rightfully said, we can't tell you've been a secret test subject for 300 years from giving you a once-over in medbay.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use