Allergies

FalseIncarnate

With the addition of Goonchem and some concerns over holy water abuse in certain round types, the idea of allergies was brought up as a potential addition.

Selectable in character creation much like disabilities, allergies are pre-existing conditions that have noticeable, but not unplayable, effects on your gameplay. Essentially, consuming a food / reagent that you are listed as allergic to will induce allergic reactions. Other allergies may be tied to specific actions, like touching animals or being near certain things. In some cases, this may be as minor as some toxins damage, or as major as full on suffocation. Allergies would either be completely uncurable, or would require the assistance of genetics to cure (would require some hefty adjustments to how genetics currently is), and some races would have natural allergies.

Examples of potential allergens:

Chocolate

Nuts (a semi-planned botany addition)

Holy Water

Caffeine (Kidan natural allergy)

Oxygen Medicines (Vox natural allergy)

Garlic (another potential botany addition, vampires would be allergic)

Pet Dander (petting animals triggers this)

Stupidity (randomly triggers, more frequent with brain damage)

Pollen (chance to trigger when close to potted plants or hydroponics/soil)

BEES!!! (makes bee stings more dangerous)

Lactose (milk, cream, cheese, and ice cream)

Meat (forced veganism)

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The biggest issue with food allergies is that each food is not its own reagent, for the most part. Nutriment is Nutriment. All eating a piece of food does is cause you to ingest the reagents in said food. Meat steak, for example, contains nutriment, salt, and pepper. Raw meat is just nutriment. This would necessitate the creation of several reagents to add to existing food items that serve no purpose besides allowing people to be allergic to stuff.

The other ones wouldn't be so bad. Bees and whatnot.

The biggest issue with food allergies is that each food is not its own reagent, for the most part. Nutriment is Nutriment. All eating a piece of food does is cause you to ingest the reagents in said food. Meat steak, for example, contains nutriment, salt, and pepper. Raw meat is just nutriment. This would necessitate the creation of several reagents to add to existing food items that serve no purpose besides allowing people to be allergic to stuff.

The other ones wouldn't be so bad. Bees and whatnot.

Yea, a number of these would need new reagents to be possible. Some food reagents can be transferred from ingredient to product, while others are converted. Food allergies would definitely involve tweaking a lot of things, which is why I waited until after goonchem to post the idea.

i remember one time when shitcurity was questioning me about my BUDGET insulated gloves and how its only for the engineers, i barely managed to bullshit my way out by saying im allergic to tajarans and need the gloves on to avoid the allergies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use