Mechanical Heart

Streaky Haddock

Erm Streaky, I'm pretty sure that a being that lacks blood flowing to their brain for some minutes is not only dead, but beyond repair due to the rapid degradation of brain cells in the absence of oxygen and other stuff.

I'm fairly sure that's the reason behind the 5minute limit on the defibs.

Edited by Guest

except i'm following logic already within the game. Brains don't suffer ill effects from being cloned or placed in an MMI after extended periods of time in a dead body. Attempting to defib someone will specifically announce the heart is too degraded after long enough, and if you do heart surgery and zap them, they'll be on their feet again.

also watching those two animes spin out of sync with eachother is making me very nauseous.

if anybody would want a mechanical heart...it would have a infinite bluespess battery.

idea 1: if its not stopping (unless EMPd) it will keep the blood circulating and make it keep processing the blood and whatever is in it. so just inject that dude with a mechanical heart with dexalin and fix his injuries and he would literally come back from the dead (basically a passive defib)

idea 2: when in crit the heart starts doing some kind of CPR function that is built into it (its mechanical)...making your suffocation due to the crit state kill you much more slowly.

unrelated idea: mechanical lungs...

except i'm following logic already within the game. Brains don't suffer ill effects from being cloned or placed in an MMI after extended periods of time in a dead body. Attempting to defib someone will specifically announce the heart is too degraded after long enough, and if you do heart surgery and zap them, they'll be on their feet again.

Defibbing someone back to life is also wayyyy faster than cloning someone.

Defibbing requires the person be below certain brute and burn thresholds, and if they are, they revive every time without having to go through the 5-10 minute cloning procedure; it's very very quick and you can handle multiple people at once.

Also...cloning is genetics and DNA with a bit of bluespace hand-wavery for memory, so it doesn't really matter how long they've been dead as you're rebuilding them on a genetic level---defibbing is still very very much the same person, so brain damage would matter.

As for mechanical organs having an advantage? They already do, believe it or not:

-Mechanical organs take 20% less damage from sources (this is effectively having 25% more health than regular organs) AND they're immune to germs.

-Assisted organs can take an extra 5 damage before becoming bruised and broken (they also aren't impacted by EMP as much as full mechanical)

Pretty decent advantage for a weakness that's almost never encountered.

Defibbing someone back to life is also wayyyy faster than cloning someone.

Defibbing requires the person be below certain brute and burn thresholds, and if they are, they revive every time without having to go through the 5-10 minute cloning procedure; it's very very quick and you can handle multiple people at once.

Also...cloning is genetics and DNA with a bit of bluespace hand-wavery for memory, so it doesn't really matter how long they've been dead as you're rebuilding them on a genetic level---defibbing is still very very much the same person, so brain damage would matter.

As for mechanical organs having an advantage? They already do, believe it or not:

-Mechanical organs take 20% less damage from sources (this is effectively having 25% more health than regular organs) AND they're immune to germs.

-Assisted organs can take an extra 5 damage before becoming bruised and broken (they also aren't impacted by EMP as much as full mechanical)

Pretty decent advantage for a weakness that's almost never encountered.

how many viruses attack the heart or organs? also what happens to assisted organs when EMPd?

how many viruses attack the heart or organs? also what happens to assisted organs when EMPd?

Not viruses; germs.

Germs build up in organs when they're damaged or exposed to the air; the longer its exposed, the more build up. Once it hits a certain point, you acquire an infection in that organ (I mostly see these, IC, with the lungs) which causes you to take tox damage and increases your body's temp.

Mechanical organs (full not assisted) don't ever have to deal with this.

Less about Viruses, more about toxins buildups in those organs.

I'm guessing assisted organs shut down if EMPd.

...never heard about toxins building up in them and how differently do they shut down?

Less about Viruses, more about toxins buildups in those organs.

I'm guessing assisted organs shut down if EMPd.

...never heard about toxins building up in them and how differently do they shut down?

They don't.

If your toxin count is over 60 there's a chance it will incur liver damage....if the liver is damage past a certain point, certain toxins will cause extra damage per cycle....there's no toxin buildup; only germ.

You can give races that ordinarily have no organs a mechanical heart to make them vulnerable to horrible emp death. Apparently it might even give your character other, regular organs as well, as Smush has a mechanical heart and took massive internal organ damage today after being dragged post-brawl with a statue.

Smush is a slime person. I've had his heart fail and cause incurable suffocation damage (since he doesn't breathe) sans dexalin usage.

It's also his excuse not to help set the singularity up when he's an engineer.

While we're on the topic of mechanical internal organs, I propose the following:

-You should be able to replace any organ you want with a mechanical version. There is no sensible reason, mechanically or fluff wise, not to. The technology exists IC and the mechanics for the heart are well balanced, as Fox has made abundantly clear.

-Robotics should be able to produce replacement organs as well as limbs. Surgery can put them in.

-Possibly allow extra digestive organs to be added to make it so that digesting food goes faster, because why not. We have a genetics power that lets you devour just about anything, so that wouldn't be far fetched.

I'm totally not going to make Smush a horrible monstrosity of cybernetics and slime goop that simply refuses to lie down and die after decades of grueling work or anything.

What do assisted organs do?

Assisted organs can take an extra 5 damage before becoming bruised and broken (they also aren't impacted by EMP as much as full mechanical)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use