Balance Suggestions - Blob

Telvayne

Just a list of small suggestions here, based on how I've seen rounds play out. I notice that the blob has a certain 'ramp-up' to it; that is, the blob gets harder and harder to kill as the round progresses. This makes sense. However, the crew has the opposite slope; they get more and more shattered as the game mode progresses. Eventually there is a breaking point (usually after the first failed push) where the crew cannot possibly win. I have a proposition for fixing this, that smooths out the blob curve. That leaves the 'crew curve' completely dependent on the players.

"Conservation of Matter" is the idea. Basically, the bigger the blob is, the lower the HP of the blob segments. Remove 'shielding' blob segments altogether, and use the sprite for all tiles of a blob below a certain threshold of size. As the blob grows, the individual pieces get weaker and weaker. Thus, a huge blob that has one-lined down a hallway has a very exposed core, as opposed to one that grows in a balanced, outward fashion. The HP reduction would also occur for individual parts. The more cores, the less HP the individual cores have. This would not be a simple 50/50 split of HP; it would be a small reduction. Something like '100% hp 1 core, 95% 2 cores'. It would continue down to a flat 50% health for all cores. This also prevents the 'initial blob' from being so vulnerable; it will be very sturdy at first, but as the round progresses it gets softer.

The idea behind this, and the reason I feel this will work, is that the early-round blob would be geared more towards handling a full-on assault from the crew, who would in turn be fresh and ready for a heavy assault. As the round progresses, weaknesses in the blob would open up, making small-team last-ditch-effort tactics work better. This means that we would see a lot of interesting strategies and last-ditch attempts to fight the blob late-game, as opposed to now, where everyone gives up after the first or second assault.

I think this change would be worth at least trying out. Giving late-game blob crew hope is something that's worth a try.

just a kinda off topic thing.

a straight line of blobness would be kinda weak...since its a straight line that reaches far away from the core thus weakening its healthiness. as for a blob that expands 360 it wont as weak...

that could be coderhell.

back on topic. i would want to keep the blob shielding but in a different fashion, eat the damn station!!! which is kinda the point of blobs...

replace the resource generators with digestors that turn whatever the blob chomps on into resources (that would include floor tiles that lead into space and items and if possible, dead blob soldiers) the more digestors the blob has the faster it ''digests'' stuff. then it could use its resource points to upgrade/reinforce blob walls gradually, the blob spawning factories would need resources to be able to make more blob soldiers.

to make sure it wont screw over the blob, make the blob core be able to digest stuff on its own.

Sounds like this could really help fix some of the blob issues. Another big thing is stopping blob zombie spam, currently blobs can very quickly make massive numbers of them that will make people waste all of their laser charges and then just overrun them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use