Productive Rounds/Station Objectives

Radman2307

Would you like to see a form of Productive Rounds/Station Objectives implemented?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey chaps,

This is a suggestion I made many months ago that got a fair few folk on side but it's something I believe could really work well within SS13.

Admin ran 'Productive Rounds' where the station as whole (and some individuals) receive objectives to complete. I often find myself getting annoyed with SS13 as there is generally a lack of motivation amongst the playerbase to get things done that frankly should be our core tasks when initially starting a round.

This is generally the case because realistically for most players there is very little reason to get anything done! Every round seems to devolve into 'waiting for the station to go to hell' or 'waiting for the Antag to strike' and then of course waiting for the 'inevitable shuttle call.'

Sometimes nothing of note happens at all and a 'crew transfer vote' is called where everyone is left scratching their collective heads "What was that all about?"

Well I believe there is a very simple solution to this problem that being admin controlled 'Productive Rounds' where 'Station Wide' Objectives are set.

I guess you could call them 'mini-events' as they should really be the norm and the aim of Nano-Transen at the start of every round, we're supposed to be working for a money grabbing corporate body anyway, why is it our corporate masters never seem to question the fact that NOTHING EVER gets shipped to them?

No Plasma

No Raw Materials

No Smelted Materials

No Manufactured Products

No Grown Products

ect

Core Objectives could primarily be around mining, smelting a shipping but you could add all kinds of objectives, from research and development, patient care, construction, genome research through to fullfilling specific orders of food or plant types.

You can also have your antags running around causing your usual problems but this would give the station more of a 'focus' at the start of the rounds and ultimately give the command staff some direction as to their leadership direction.

I just figured it'd be a good way to get people motivated, admins/player heads could even expand this by awarding enthusiastic players with a little extra Karma for getting things done, alot can be said for an efficiently ran Cargo & Engineering bay.

SS13 just seems at times to be so 'anti-team work' that there really is little point working with one another but its odd since alot of the nuts and bolts require team work in many respects.

Throwing it open to the floor,

Cheers,

Radish

Edited by Guest

so ive been dicking around trying to find the code to enable job objectives (mainly the ones from robotics).

We also shouldnt set these objectives to STATION WIDE, bc then when there's no miners its gonna be a shitfest.

Things such as shipping plasma or making metal can be specific to cargo or mining.

And there's no way to ship this shit to other vessels besides CC, and thats only for crew trasnfer.

my two cents is tell our hops to make more announcements advocating mining.

maybe you can add an objective to Miners that says "produce x amount of materials"?

and same for botany

so ive been dicking around trying to find the code to enable job objectives (mainly the ones from robotics).

We also shouldnt set these objectives to STATION WIDE, bc then when there's no miners its gonna be a shitfest.

Things such as shipping plasma or making metal can be specific to cargo or mining.

And there's no way to ship this shit to other vessels besides CC, and thats only for crew trasnfer.

my two cents is tell our hops to make more announcements advocating mining.

maybe you can add an objective to Miners that says "produce x amount of materials"?

and same for botany

Could the cargo ship not be coded to accept items listed as an objective? I thought the cargo ship already had the ability to 'take' Plasma and resources?

Objectives such as mining, smelting ect should really be station wide since that is what the station is there for... If there arent any miners HoP could assign people the position as and when necessary - new players could be 'guided' towards the mining/cargo role, it isn't too intensive and you learn LOTS from playing it.

It just gives departments something to do and the station something to work toward.

In my opinion, each department should have a list of objectives to complete, picked at random. They should have to do -something-, preferably two to three different things that intentionally take between half an hour to an hour for those exceptionally competent, and up to two hours for those who are new or particularly incompetent.

Some examples by department:

Cargo

-Collect X number of hats

-Accrue X amount of supply points

-Produce X amount of Metal, Glass, Sandstone Blocks, Plasteel, etc. (any metal or whatever ordered does not count, even if sent back)

Engineering

-Reach X number of watts of power and maintain it for Y minutes

-Ship X number of Y moles of Z gas mixture back to CC

-Go without any atmosphere or power alarms for X number of minutes

-Set up power on the abandoned construction site

Science

-Isolate X number of genes / a list of specific genes (including plant genes)

-Produce X number of data disks of Y level of Z research

-Max research (duh)

-Produce X number of cyborgs

-Produce X number of exosuits / a specific list of suits

-Record an explosion of X size

-Find X number of alien artifacts

-Produce X number of Y slime cores

Medical

-Produce X amounts of Y chemical / a list of chemicals or mixtures thereof

-Isolate X number of viral strains

-Finish shift with X percentage of crew alive and/uninjured

I can't think of much for medical that wouldn't prompt people to release viruses or beat people up to heal them tbh

Security

-Beat the clown X number of times / don't beat the clown more than x number of times (it depends, really)

Like medical, prompting security with some kind of quota of prisoners would end REALLY badly

Command

-Provide a station - wide inspection document by X number of minutes into the shift

-Recover X list of items from a gateway expedition

Comdoms don't really produce anything either.

Service

-Cook X number of Y food items

-Mix X number of Y drinks at the bar

-Grow X number of Y plants

-Allow no more than X number of messes at end of shift

-Deliver X number of jokes to cent com by fax

-Honk X number of times

-Play for X number of minutes on the space violin or piano

And so on and so forth.

Antagonist objectives could be job specific too; namely, preventing certain crew objectives from happening. They can also have all the normal objectives too, so it becomes security, command and medicals job to keep things in line while the productive departments produce stuff.

Just spitballing here. The biggest most important change with this is that rounds CANNOT end when antagonists are all dead. The crew should get to try to succeed at their jobs regardless, since it's not like NT would just go 'oh, you killed a wizard. No more production quota for your shift! Everybody go home! "

In my opinion, each department should have a list of objectives to complete, picked at random. They should have to do -something-, preferably two to three different things that intentionally take between half an hour to an hour for those exceptionally competent, and up to two hours for those who are new or particularly incompetent.

Some examples by department:

Cargo

-Collect X number of hats

-Accrue X amount of supply points

-Produce X amount of Metal, Glass, Sandstone Blocks, Plasteel, etc. (any metal or whatever ordered does not count, even if sent back)

Engineering

-Reach X number of watts of power and maintain it for Y minutes

-Ship X number of Y moles of Z gas mixture back to CC

-Go without any atmosphere or power alarms for X number of minutes

-Set up power on the abandoned construction site

Science

-Isolate X number of genes / a list of specific genes (including plant genes)

-Produce X number of data disks of Y level of Z research

-Max research (duh)

-Produce X number of cyborgs

-Produce X number of exosuits / a specific list of suits

-Record an explosion of X size

-Find X number of alien artifacts

-Produce X number of Y slime cores

Medical

-Produce X amounts of Y chemical / a list of chemicals or mixtures thereof

-Isolate X number of viral strains

-Finish shift with X percentage of crew alive and/uninjured

I can't think of much for medical that wouldn't prompt people to release viruses or beat people up to heal them tbh

Security

-Beat the clown X number of times / don't beat the clown more than x number of times (it depends, really)

Like medical, prompting security with some kind of quota of prisoners would end REALLY badly

Command

-Provide a station - wide inspection document by X number of minutes into the shift

-Recover X list of items from a gateway expedition

Comdoms don't really produce anything either.

Service

-Cook X number of Y food items

-Mix X number of Y drinks at the bar

-Grow X number of Y plants

-Allow no more than X number of messes at end of shift

-Deliver X number of jokes to cent com by fax

-Honk X number of times

-Play for X number of minutes on the space violin or piano

And so on and so forth.

Antagonist objectives could be job specific too; namely, preventing certain crew objectives from happening. They can also have all the normal objectives too, so it becomes security, command and medicals job to keep things in line while the productive departments produce stuff.

Just spitballing here. The biggest most important change with this is that rounds CANNOT end when antagonists are all dead. The crew should get to try to succeed at their jobs regardless, since it's not like NT would just go 'oh, you killed a wizard. No more production quota for your shift! Everybody go home! "

I quite like this suggestion, I just think the current setup doesnt encourage the crew to actually do their job, it stiffles gameplay and hinders players actually LEARNING the mechanics of the game.

I THINK these are fairly straightforward and wont ruin anything at all...but would need coding.

security: stuff at least one living antag into the shuttle brig (duh) and READ THE LAWBOOK and follow SoP

cargo: collect X amount of profit points (not sure how we code that)

medical: make sure there are less than X (depending on crew size) amount of corpses hanging around, corpses in morgue are not included.

edit: also that a X amount of people are 100% uninjured depending on crew size.

research: send research notes/artifact/sciency RnD things to NT (will help QM)

janitor: make sure this station doesnt accumulate more than X amount of messes (based on crew size and made easier depending on random events like meaty ores)

chef/botany: help QM with profit points (bonus points if its mutated or very well cooked)

engineering: just...keep the power on

leadership roles/the station in general: get X amount of points (the ones that show up when the round ends) that are heavily supported if other departments finished their objectives

bluesheild: make sure your VIPs are alive and well and that they get to centcomm to get X amount of points (capt = 4 points, heads = 2, other VIPs = 1. something like that...)

barman/civillian/librarian/chaplain/clown/mime/NT rep objectives would be too vague and pointless so they get to do whatever.

I THINK these are fairly straightforward and wont ruin anything at all...but would need coding.

security: stuff at least one living antag into the shuttle brig (duh) and READ THE LAWBOOK and follow SoP

cargo: collect X amount of profit points (not sure how we code that)

medical: make sure there are less than X (depending on crew size) amount of corpses hanging around, corpses in morgue are not included.

edit: also that a X amount of people are 100% uninjured depending on crew size.

research: send research notes/artifact/sciency RnD things to NT (will help QM)

janitor: make sure this station doesnt accumulate more than X amount of messes (based on crew size and made easier depending on random events like meaty ores)

chef/botany: help QM with profit points (bonus points if its mutated or very well cooked)

engineering: just...keep the power on

leadership roles/the station in general: get X amount of points (the ones that show up when the round ends) that are heavily supported if other departments finished their objectives

bluesheild: make sure your VIPs are alive and well and that they get to centcomm to get X amount of points (capt = 4 points, heads = 2, other VIPs = 1. something like that...)

barman/civillian/librarian/chaplain/clown/mime/NT rep objectives would be too vague and pointless so they get to do whatever.

Exactly it is about adding direction to the players who aren't antags, adding a sense of purpose and direction to the station.

Actually have goals in place for people to follow and the general to crack on with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use