Reagent transfer for cooking

Midaychi

Incase it doesn't already, I think it'd be pretty cool if cooking transferred the reagents in the ingredients over to the product, with some exceptions (like herb salad removing the toxins, etc).

Protag uses: Botany can focus on high potency ingredients to make the food more nutritious, Xenobotany can design GMO seeds for botany to grow that contain all sorts of chemicals or do silly things like make cabbages that have banana juice. Crafty chemistry cooks can make tailored future food.

Antag uses: Botany can give the chef cyanide apples instead of normal ones and encourage him to make apple-based dishes, xenobotany can design gmo seeds for botany to grow that contain all sorts of chemicals or do silly things like make carrots that contain the reagents from deathberries (though very difficult to hide because of xenobotany mechanics. Harvesting the plant kind of makes it obvious.), and crafty chemistry cooks can do all sorts of nefarious things they could already do anyways.

Extrapolation on idea:

Maybe certain reagent combinations cook to new reagents during the cooking process? Would be an interesting way to introduce new chemicals, though to make it more fun and limit abuse you might need to somehow read the seed data instead of the actual regents of the ingredients so people can't just use microwaves and a portable chem dispenser + syringe to make whatever. They'd have to actually grow/modify it first.

Transferring reagents from plants to prepared food is a cool idea. I remember one round when I ate a meat pie the chef had prepared and began getting the Space Drugs effect because the chef and botanist had used some ambrosia in the dish to give it some healing properties. However, I think this was more along the lines of they ground up the ambrosia and then injected the pie with the reagent mix from the grinder.

I'm not sure how difficult the system would be to code in to effectively transfer the reagents over, but would definitely open up some new potential for non-antags and antags alike through planning. It would also be funny to watch the chef get arrested for poisoning people, when the botanist is the true traitor.

I think you'd find a lot of (if not most) drugs will be completely different after being cooked at the temperatures in an oven.

Not saying the idea hasn't any merit; just that it could be an interesting thing to work with. Maybe certain ingredients, once baked together, combine differently?

I think you'd find a lot of (if not most) drugs will be completely different after being cooked at the temperatures in an oven.

Not saying the idea hasn't any merit; just that it could be an interesting thing to work with. Maybe certain ingredients, once baked together, combine differently?

That summarizes what I was getting at in a completely roundabout and vague way, actually.

I'm pretty sure this happens already, actually!

I've made stew before and people suffered no effects of it one time---thennnn on another time they started twitching, puking, and giggling because I used a different type of mushroom. I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure this is the case--I distinctively remember making poison apple pies a couple of times...

I'm pretty sure this happens already, actually!

It does, turn someone who was killed by a lethal injection into a meat pie and see what that pie does to people.

I once murdered a dozen or so crew members that way.

Thats bloody amazing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use