Kidan lore additions

andrewmeythaler

Kidan are freaking amazing. I love them so much, and may even become my favorite race to play. But in my opinion their lore is a bit lacking. Their society is somewhat medieval in nature, and that seems to be it's only defining feature. There are a number of things that the Tajaran wiki article does really well that I would love to see done on the Kidan article.

* Examples of subculture. The Zhan-Khazan article on the Tajaran wiki was fantastic and I would love to see a Kidan equivalent.

* Homeworld climate. It is strangely lacking.

* Mouth description. The biology article is already well written, but it lacks a description of the mouth. I assume it is mandible like, but it would be nice to know for sure.

* General flavor of the major culture.

Pretty sure its because paradise's wiki was based on copying bay's, and for some reason kidan are the 'unspeakable race that never existed and if you imply they did again I'll cut you' thing over there.

Bays where most of the detailed lore comes from is what I meant.

Well here is what I have thought of so far. Tell me what you think of each.

*[General Kidan] It seems like most Kida tend to stick together and look out for one another. This could be because of rampant discrimination or due to massive cultural gaps between the Kida and the humans.

*[General Kidan] Reading over the article it seems to bear resemblance to the governing structure of Dune. I do find it strange that none of the Kida nobles answer to some higher power, however.

*[General Kidan] Perhaps we could model the culture after middle Europe. The governments seem similar.

*[General Kidan] That many nobles should have some infighting, some history of warfare would be nice to see.

*[General Kidan] I was thinking the home-world would be some what European. Lots of flat plains, and forests.

Does anyone want to help write sub-cultures?

I thought of something too.

You know how Kida can get a high from Inaprovaline? At least, RP wise?

How about there is a street term that the drug goes by, that is used by the Kida?

How about there is a street term that the drug goes by, that is used by the Kida?

An excellent question! If there isn't we ought to make one, because it makes total sense. Also it would be cool to see the RP effects get transferred mechanically. As well as the caffeine poisoning. Which reminds me, are they aware of the caffeine danger?

Honestly, I would just love to see the bay lore purged from the wiki. Its poorly written, overly complex, special snowflake-y and doesn't match the server.

I think that there are parts of it that work tremendously well, and some that do not. The Tajaran is really well written.

The Vox is pretty well written too, but there are parts of it that are indicitive of some of Bay's issues. Namely their tendency to include some really cool details, that never appear on game (i.e. critical stacks, other evolution of Vox, Kidan innaprovoline highs, and more. They are really cool ideas, but essentially useless because many of them fall really far outside the scope of the game.

Question: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3064 Who should I talk to about writing and commiting this?

IRC-Admin PM from Administrator: is this for the wiki?

IRC PM to-IRC-Admins: Hopefully

IRC PM to-IRC-Admins: I know 1block used to be really into lore stuff, but I don't know if he is active anymore.

IRC PM to-IRC-Admins: Sooo anyone I should get in touch with?

IRC-Admin PM from Administrator: hmm.. I think your thread would suffice, I don't really know of any big wiki enthusiasts right now

IRC PM to-IRC-Admins: Soo free reign?

IRC-Admin PM from Administrator: I guess..

IRC PM to-IRC-Admins: wicked

Got the go ahead lads!

Made a subgroup, tell me what you guys think.

House Ranv

Culture[edit]

The Ranv are a particularly cruel house of nobles. Headed by the Duke Roy’Ranv’Zat’Kan, with each aspect of his kingdom delegated to his family. They tend to live in the colder poles of the planets they rule, thinking it more defensible. Preferring the isolation it brings, for they live in a state of near constant paranoia; fearing espionage from other noble houses. As such they keep very tight control of their population, through secret police and spymasters to root out any and all sedition.

They have a complex series of laws and regulations to keep a leash on the lower class. They cover everything from times one is allowed to be out at night, to who and when they are permitted to speak to. These laws mostly just serve as justification for the cruelty of their secret police, who mostly indiscriminately lock away anyone suspected of disloyalty to the Duke.

Those living under the Ranv do so in a heavily segmented and classist society. At the very bottom are the prisoners, or Kriv. They are often locked away for petty political crimes, but are looked down upon by everyone. Including the class immediately above them, the Prol; or the working class. They perform almost exclusively heavy labor. Mining, garbage collection, cleaning, and repair work is what they are delegated to. They tend to get a break from most of the suspicion the upper class gets from the secret police, because they are thought to be too ignorant to stop the Duke. However the main security force is fond of beating them for a good time. Next up is the white collar work force, the Pov. They perform such duties as office work, engineering, and other standard work. They are often being watched by the secret police, as they are considered educated. High on the totem pol is the military and security force. The Orz, they are very well respected and orders from them are to be followed. However that doesn’t stop the security police from keeping almost non-stop watch over them. Their positions of power make them appear dangerous. Higher still are the secret police and spies, the Cov. While admitting knowledge of them is a crime, most know of their existence and know well enough to follow their orders. Second only to the Duke are his noble family members who are in charge of duties. Even within this class there are divisions, the more honorable and respected a noble’s department, the more power he has.

They speak the same language as the other houses, however they created their own currency system in the hopes of deterring foreign bribes. The cash is almost completely digital to prevent anyone from defecting to live under a different house.

Relation with the other Kida[edit]

Due to their police state, and constant espionage; few other houses are willing to trust the Ranv. Most are openly defiant of them. Some houses go so far as to wage war over Ranv colonial gains, fearing increased Ranv power. Insurrections are common on planets the Ranv conquer from other houses, as few wish to live under the iron fist of the Ranv. However their fears are mostly unfounded as the Ranv mostly leave the colonists alone, acknowledging the futility of trying to control such large populations remotely. Unless the colony is vital to security, or has vast amounts of a valuable resource; the Ranv will rarely send more than a few Cov.

Relation to Aliens[edit]

It is not uncommon for the Ranv to encourage their people to seek work with foreign corporations, hoping that they will pick up useful skills and information. However the Ranv still keep a close eye on them, hiring many informants within each corporation and sending spies to work with them.

Other corporations have been known to contact the Ranv, seeking to learn how they keep such tight control. The Ranv are usually willing to share their tactics in exchange for technology their spies can use. Most notably they have begun to receive shipments of AI’s to use in some large urban centers, from Nanotrasen.

An excellent question! If there isn't we ought to make one, because it makes total sense. Also it would be cool to see the RP effects get transferred mechanically. As well as the caffeine poisoning. Which reminds me, are they aware of the caffeine danger?

When I play as Rakk, I make sure not to drink any thing with Caffeine in it. I always try to get a flask from the Bar and drink Gin all shift, since they can't get drunk.

Honestly, I would just love to see the bay lore purged from the wiki. Its poorly written, overly complex, special snowflake-y and doesn't match the server.

I don't think this is a good idea, personally. I'm never going to enforce lore for in game (meaning, if you want to play a spesscat who was born on earth, speaks perfect English, and has no known connections with other Tajaran culture, feel free to), but just having the lore up on the wiki doesn't hurt much; a number of players really like/enjoy it and want to base their characters off of a common archetype--if that's their choice and they want to follow a guideline (or put artificial limitations on themselves) according to said lore? I'm not going to stop them--but again, it should be the players choice (like clone memory disorder is a choice).

So I'm generally fine with lore, so long as it's purely fluff.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use