PAI start with universal translators

Wintermote

It's a bit of a pain to have to download and install universal translating software to hear anyone from the start.

What's the point of it? I mean, the software is pretty much mandatory for a PAI anyways, you might as well just give it automatically and take the points it costs out of the pool.

It's a bit of a pain to have to download and install universal translating software to hear anyone from the start.

What's the point of it? I mean, the software is pretty much mandatory for a PAI anyways, you might as well just give it automatically and take the points it costs out of the pool.

This,very much.

I could easily see giving them Sol/Common, from start (this is the way it's supposed to be, anyway) but just flat out granting them a universal translator by default? That's a whole lot of power without price.

you might as well just give it automatically and take the points it costs out of the pool.

It's not without price, Fox. Read carefully.

Fair enough, I did miss that.

I do think giving them just Sol/Common, from the start is better though, and it gives the players a choice to forego the translator in favor of other software.

I'll see about trying to give them Sol/Common by default, I believe I tried to do this when initially porting over mobile pAIs, but it didn't quite work, as pAIs are capable of speaking it by default (and understanding themselves), but not understanding others that are speaking it; which means there's likely a problem with how languages are processed for pAIs.

I'll see about trying to give them Sol/Common by default, I believe I tried to do this when initially porting over mobile pAIs, but it didn't quite work, as pAIs are capable of speaking it by default (and understanding themselves), but not understanding others that are speaking it; which means there's likely a problem with how languages are processed for pAIs.

Or terrible VG say code strikes yet again.

Geez, i tried to figure that shit out, dat coding though.

Best i could come up with is hacking in something here:

Paradise/code/modules/mob/say.dm

/mob/proc/say_understands(var/mob/other,var/datum/language/speaking = null)

if(!other)

return 1

//Universal speak makes everything understandable, for obvious reasons.

else if(other.universal_speak || src.universal_speak || src.universal_understand)

return 1

else if (src.stat == 2)

return 1

else if (speaking) //Language check.

var/understood

for(var/datum/language/L in src.languages)

if(speaking.name == L.name)

understood = 1

break

if(understood || universal_speak)

return 1

else

return 0

else if(other.universal_speak || src.universal_speak)

return 1

else if(isAI(src) && ispAI(other))

return 1

else if (istype(other, src.type) || istype(src, other.type))

return 1

else if (istype(other, /mob/living/carbon/human) && istype(src, /mob/living/carbon/human))

return 1

return 0

Something like this:

if(!other)

return 1

//Universal speak makes everything understandable, for obvious reasons.

else if(other.universal_speak || src.universal_speak || src.universal_understand)

return 1

else if (src.stat == 2)

return 1

// --------------- NEW CODE START ---------------

else if (!speaking && (ispAI(src) || ispAI(other)))

return 1

else if (speaking && speaking.name == "Sol Common" && (ispAI(src) || ispAI(other)) )

return 1

// --------------- NEW CODE END ---------------

else if (speaking) //Language check.

Maybe someone wants to test that. It's super hacky, but what of that say code is not?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use