Medbay trainng doll

Habalabam

The thread about "inspectors" gave me this idea.

Medbay is sometimes really slow. Especially at shift start.

There are some things that rarely happens, but which medbay should be competent with. Like diluting and dosaging a cure from a vial of antibodies.

I would like a medbay training doll. Controllable from the CMO PDA or its own pad.

It could get illnesses, injuries, brain damage, hematomas... you name it.

If it got a "virus", a benign chemical (sugar) could act as the cure.

It could have the needs of specific species. There are many in-game complaints that medbay does not handle machine people well or even know of the vox breathing apparatus.

CMO would then be able to see proper treatment, medicating, that bleeding is stopped before shoving into cryo etc.

I don't think so. Most of the advantages I described will suffer if using a monkey.

It's not easy to create a specific medical condition nor monitor the exact treatment in a humanized monkey. If the person monitoring is depending on continuous scans it becomes a much more invasive observer. It's not easy to "reset" the monkey to try again after feedback. The doll would also be easily tossed aside if there is a real patient and try again afterwards.

It's also wasteful, messy and morally questionable. One thing is to euthanize monkey in the name of cutting edge genetic science that is ripe for monkey trials. To intentionally cause injury, pain and discomfort in order to tweak a scrub is something else.

You learn on the job.

you don't get slimes that start of friendly,

you don't get crates that cost nothing to order,

you don't get fake security alerts to test security,

you don't get a detector to test if food is safe to eat

and you don't get a test dummy for medical

You are still learning on the job when receiving on-the-job training. This is just an extension of the senior to junior staff mentoring that goes on anyways.

We did have an engineering training facility for a while.

There is at least two threads active about facilitating security training.

I don't agree with your other examples. You don't have complex interaction with crates or live slimes nor do they have a sophisticated set of initial conditions. You don't mess up with a crate and then have a hard time setting it up so you can try again.

Medbay is also a field that directly affects players may not have chosen to interact with medbay with many exotic cases, so it's not like training to load a MULE or fumbling while dissecting a slime.

Honestly I like the idea. Might be tricky to code but I see no reason fluff-wise why they shouldn't have it. NT is a greedy bastard but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a charity that goes around distributing these dolls to hospitals and corporations. Charities like that exist IRL.

Huh? Charity?

The basic premise for the entire game is that NT profits from people performing their duties on the station.

People are expensive to replace. The time that key personell spend away from their duties is expensive. Medical malpractice is expensive. Medbay is the only medical facility for crew, civilians and alien officials in the embassies of various exotic physiology and bringing alien pathogens.

If medical training device is a charity, then the entire medbay is a charity.

If you argue that NT are too much of "greedy bastards" to consider the benefit of medical training then I would think the existence and supplying of the bar and clown/mime entertainment would be the ones to raise your eyebrows.

I think you're getting bogged down in semantics.

I agree with the concept overall, although it's probably an item that would be best balanced via ordering from cargo. It adds a bit of flavor to cargo, allows the CMO to test the newbies with the surgeon tag. Etc.

To those saying "humanize monkeys!", it can be a real pain in the ass to get monkeys from genetics sometimes. Some people metagame a bit when you ask for free live bodies. Not without entire reason, but I've asked on a few occasions in my medical travels and more often than not you'll get turned away.

Vampires have ruined everything.

You are still learning on the job when receiving on-the-job training. This is just an extension of the senior to junior staff mentoring that goes on anyways.

We did have an engineering training facility for a while.

There is at least two threads active about facilitating security training.

I don't agree with your other examples. You don't have complex interaction with crates or live slimes nor do they have a sophisticated set of initial conditions. You don't mess up with a crate and then have a hard time setting it up so you can try again.

Medbay is also a field that directly affects players may not have chosen to interact with medbay with many exotic cases, so it's not like training to load a MULE or fumbling while dissecting a slime.

You have to be joking. One mistake and an antagonist has you as a new sec. One slip up and you are eaten by slimes as a xenobiologist. Cargo might be easy with crates but mining is not. Refill your gas wrong, hit gibtonite and you are guaranteed to not play the rest of the shift. It sucks for all.

I actually agree with your idea, just not your attitude that only medical has it hard learn.

I actually agree with your idea, just not your attitude that only medical has it hard learn.

That is not my position. I don't think that you are being fair.

Though there are many departments have challenges related to upping their game, the different departments have different challenges when it comes to setting up a learning experience.

Security has a hard time separating signal from the noise in the buzz of activity of the station. They need to be courteous to the general public, but presumed compliance will get you killed. The best teaching tool may be, as is being discussed in another thread this very minute, to plant inspectors in the general public.

We HAD an engineering training ground. It didn't work. I don't know how it was supposed to work, but its existence makes totally sense.

Let us take your slime example. It is dangerous work and it is important work. Cyberiad is a research station, after all.

However, I am arguing that medbay face a unique in that the test cases have a large variety of hard-to-come-by initial conditions and hard time to assess the end result as most treatments do not leave an auditable trail. The patient will have metabolized excessive drugs, recovered from infections, recovered from transport damage etc.

A slime is dangerous, sure, but it is not difficult to set up training for this as every slime will invite the same approach.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Should definitely be added. I used a humanized monkey to train a nurse how to preform surgery (which was fun) but I had to manually break its bones and mess him up which seems extremely brutal for a doctor (even though I usually play psychopath, who loves to burn things live or hear a big boom). It just gives the wrong idea to a patient who walks in seeing their doctor beat something half to death.

And it messes up the attack logs and there's the screaming part.

Try to help the nurse diagnose and treat a specific condition like a brain hematoma and wether she did or did not overdose the patient on anything while figuring it out.

Nor can you pause it or reset it if you had a real patient walking in mid-practice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use