Clarify the Brig Physician

Lifixs

When a blue alert is called, the Brig Physician can effectively abandon their primary duties and act as a standard security officer. This is extremely counter intuitive, how many IRL prison doctors go around patrolling in the streets during an emergency?

So I offer two possible suggestions to clarify their status.

A: Change "Brig Physician" to "Security Medic" and give them a primarily red or black uniform.

or

B: Limit the Brig Physicians authorization to use force so that its only valid within the brig.

At no point have i been made aware that the Brig Physician 'can effectively abandon their primary duties and act as a standard security officer' during blue alert which is the STANDARD alert for every shift.

The Brig Physician is a Doctor first and foremost. He is not to use force except in self defence, and he is DEFINITELY not to gear up as an officer. A flash/spray and cuffs is the most you're entitled to for self defence purposes only.

I was a mime waiting in line outside the HoP's office when a Brig Physician ran up and demanded I submit to a "Random Search". I thought this sounded odd (Shakedown?) coming from someone who was supposedly a physician, so I didn't submit. He then chased, tasered, and brought me to the brig where I was forcibly strip searched.

I adminhelped it, but they said he had authorization. I contacted IAA but they said essentially the same thing, that he was a security officer for all intents and purposes.

the system failed you.

Sounds like someone GAVE him authorisation ICly. Admins can't do shit, and the IA Agents you went to mustn't have thought to investigate the guy who GAVE the authorisation.

Brig Physicians don't START with that authorisation.

Yeah, as others have said, a Brig Physician is for all intents and purposes just a Medical Doctor working in a different spot in the station. They have no right to perform actual security duties, including searches. If during a round they are deputized by the Head of Security - maybe the Warden too - during say, a Red Alert, then sure. Internal Affairs should have been on your side in the matter and looked into it.

I think there is some misconception about the Brig Physician because they, well, work in the brig. This can lead to some players thinking that they are actually a part of security with all the 'perks' that it entails. Some steps to make their job more clear would be welcome, such as a 'job description' paper like the Rep and Blueshield.

To clarify.

Brig Physician is a doctor. At absolute most, they're probably a little more experienced in space law and more practised at restraining patients where necessary. They have no more business conducting searches than any other doctor aboard the station.

I'll see what we can do to get this across to the players in this role, but what you were told during that round was completely inaccurate and goes against the job role of the Brig Physician.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use