A possible fix for Virology

Midaychi

Now, see this is operating on the stipulation that it's way too easy to cause controlled mass mayhem through releasing virii.

Personally when I play virologist, the round stays clean except for the occasional random outbreak that I respond to quickly. Never gotten lynched as a virologist.

Anyways, the possible fix that I might suggest is to make all the symptoms show up as randomized-at-roundstart codes rather than their names. This means that, while yes you can just release your starting virii and griff the station; if you actually want to make a controlled virus then you have to test what symptom does what. Then you can label the symptoms using the interface and see it defined on all further analysis.

This does not make cures harder to make, only makes intentional virus releasing a more time consuming affair because you have to research the symptoms rather than just instantly knowing what they do.

You have to have a supply of monkeys and radium, or spacacilin and luck.

Major problem I can see is that not all virus symptoms have an outward visible or hearable effect, so there would need to be alternate ways to figure out the symptoms. Or I guess you could experiment on yourself, or abduct a civilian.

Also to those who complain that it would take way too long: You can inject the victim with virus food. Virus food speeds up virus symptom progress when its in the holder.

I did want to make some changes to Virology, what you suggest is similar to the code block randomisation of powers/disabilities in genetics. It's a good idea but I wouldn't call it a "fix". I also want some way of controlling/altering the rate of progression. I have big plans, but cannot implement them yet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use