Admin complaint: normalyman

YeOlCableKing

Admin(s) Key: normalyman
Your ckey (Byond username): YeOlCableKing
Your Discord name (if applicable):Cable

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 1/14/2019

Nature of complaint: Clarification required, misapplication of rules.

Brief description: admin forced me to change my in character name claiming it is not a real name.

Full description of events: My in character name is Cable King. Admin Boinked me about my name as seen here.initial.png.5117c67e64ed0ddabdf568d53948889c.png

I asked him how my name was a violation of the rules. He proceeded to tell me that it was not a real name as seen here. 

justification.png.2b3d04957edc38ca9181276a03491b24.png

I proceeded to tell him that Cable King was my name and that there is literally a player with the name with name Kolton King also playing on the server to which he told me that there will be no discussion on.

name.png.180c89cfaf49a1b7c93048c575e4cfb3.png 327832241_nodiscussion.png.58c16ed2cb14eb74ea0484a0ffca0709.png

Now if I was playing with a character name that was obviously a meme I would get it. Which I told him as much.britney.png.a24489b5377465ea181118cc5dd3303d.png

He then force changed my name

1147486645_forcechange.png.1111b4b1c3f29089d50c250db3c9d2b8.png

I told him I would not as my IC name is perfectly appropriate for the setting. However he then threatened me with "consequences"consequences.png.409147a073ceaa2ef7d199dd113b9376.png

I informed him he would be getting a complaint and thus brings us to here. SS13 is a roleplaying game set in the far flung future. First and foremost Cable King is not even an unrealistic name for todays day and age. In fact Cable is an actual name which originates from France. King is a real surname as well. Hell, according to wikipedia there are 327 people with the name abdce in the united states. How is cable in anyway unrealistic? I just want to have a good time roleplaying and Cable King is the character I play. I left yogstation because of shitty admins and came to paradise. But this is by far the most ridiculous admin bwoink I've ever gotten. Hell that very round I was playing There was a character with the name of "Honeycomb" how is that more realistic then what I have? I have played for well over 50 hours on the server and have interacted with a few different admins (mostly due too my own overzealous actions and a few too many shots) but not once have I received any complaint about my name. It is unfortunate that you feel like a name like the name cable king hurts your rp. Given the setting of the game how can you decide what is a name and what isn't baring a blatantly obvious meme name? Names far stranger then my characters crop up in sci-fi settings all the time. Anyway, I believe this too be absolutely ridiculous and would like some other admin to weigh in and an explanation as too how my name is "not a real name". Thank you in advance for your time. 

Edited by YeOlCableKing
  • Like 5

Oh should clarify. Admin originally bwoinked me for sending the ai the bee movie script over pda messages. As an antag I thought this was a great way to make the ai incapable of doing anything due to the flood of pure unbridled script it was getting. Admin told me to stop. I told him I would. Did not take screenshots of that interaction. So you'll need to pull logs for that one if you want to 

• 2 weeks later...

This'll be a bit snappier than usual due to the above reasons.

Cable King as a name alone is fine - unless you're making yourself out the be the King of Cables and being stupid about it, it's a reasonable name.

Discussing this with normaly, it appeared he believed this was a memey choice (Quartermaster being the king of Cargo who can provide cables, etc), heavily influenced by your very memey behavior of spamming with the bee movie script.

For the record, that's absolutely something that should not be done. Spamming a player to gain IC advantage is not at all on - A human would be able to ignore it, and an advanced AI would be able to read it all very quickly. The only reason it works is because of the limitations of byond. Essentially, it's a form of meta/ooc.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:26 AM, YeOlCableKing said:

Given the setting of the game how can you decide what is a name and what isn't baring a blatantly obvious meme name?

Quite easily most of the time. Donald Drump? Meme name. Adolf Hitler? Just not. Hadolf Hatler? Quite obviously a blatant meme name.

In more borderline cases, admins use their best judgement given the context. It's not a perfect system, as with admins from different generations, 20+ countries, languages, cultures, etc, opinions and knowledge can differ. 

In this case, while I'm not actually seeing anyone with the first name Cable, except for the X-man, I don't think it gets into the realm of excess memeyness - again, assuming your character doesn't believe himself to be the King of Cables, etc.

Name allowed, remember not to spam memes at people, complaint resolved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use