IPC embassy

andrewmeythaler

The way I see the embassies is that they represent the species' interests when it comes to NanoTrasen. To my understanding, the machine people, though sentient, are constructs of NanoTrasen and its subsidiaries - at least the ones most people are playing, cause I doubt they'd hire on any random machine guy out of paranoia. I'm not sure they'd care enough to put up an embassy for them, especially since the machine people don't really have any representative governments, where every other species does at least have some sort of entity out there thinking about them (Except perhaps Tajaran. While they do have a government, they don't have the tech, and the only reason they're out here and playable is because people stopped by their planet and picked a few up).

In fact, I'd argue that a vox embassy shouldn't be a thing either, due to how they really don't have much in the way of formal ties with anyone. However I do understand it for the sentiment of giving Vox a place to breathe freely. If anything, deem a particular embassy the, well, swiss of the cosmos, and their embassy can be a general neutral ground for unrepresented peoples to petition NT. Just my two cents.

Being the one who literally wrote the book on machine people (as seen on the wiki page), I have argued vehemently among the staff about this very topic. The most common responses are that they are 'tools' and 'properties of Nanotrasen'. Such is common as in the admin team there isn't much respect for IPCs as a sentient race, sometimes not even being allowed to be called a 'race' at all. I was told IPCs simply have no government, despite how Dionaea and Slime People both get embassies, even though both never had much resembling a 'government'.

Nonetheless, I was told that if I wanted to give Machine People a government, i would have to change their status via ingame events, sort of like a story arc, event rounds that keep a continual theme, in between normal ones, and I for one think that is a fantastic idea, that I'm currently brainstorming for.

Dionaea and Slime.

I completely forgot about them, mainly because I find slime people to be a dreadfully bland species, I would also say that they probably shouldn't have embassies either, I agree. Diona I'm 50/50 on. They have their primary gestalt over in Epsilon Ursae Minoris, but they don't have actual representatives to actively talk about their interests. Which is why I further recommend that an embassy should be a general one for the unrepresented peoples, or the diona can use the skrell embassy, since them two get along fairly well.

EDIT: An event chain to have IPC's come into their own would be cool. Data trying to find his humanity as well as his legal status was one of the best story arcs in Star Trek in my opinion.

Being the one who literally wrote the book on machine people (as seen on the wiki page), I have argued vehemently among the staff about this very topic. The most common responses are that they are 'tools' and 'properties of Nanotrasen'. Such is common as in the admin team there isn't much respect for IPCs as a sentient race, sometimes not even being allowed to be called a 'race' at all. I was told IPCs simply have no government, despite how Dionaea and Slime People both get embassies, even though both never had much resembling a 'government'.

Nonetheless, I was told that if I wanted to give Machine People a government, i would have to change their status via ingame events, sort of like a story arc, event rounds that keep a continual theme, in between normal ones, and I for one think that is a fantastic idea, that I'm currently brainstorming for.

do not do ANYTHING fun if i'm not online or I swear to god I will have a goddamn tantrum

Guys guys, I know what we need to do. Everyone in this thread needs to set up a time we can all be online. We all go into the game as IPC's. Then we hold a strike until we are given the rights we deserve!

Good one. ... we would be fired and disassembled so quick.

No, seriously love the idea.

Currently the event is still in the idea process, and is extremely ambitious compared to past events. It may not even happen at all, depending on various factors. Stay tuned I guess.

The omission of an IPC embassy wasn't an oversight, it was very deliberate in an attempt to match the lore. NT's treatment of synthetics is... well, not the best. They are practically slaves. Most humans still haven't realized that the IPC are sentient beings and treat them more like a piece of equipment. This isn't to say that this is fair or that they are correct, merely the current situation in game.

The idea of changing this in game is awesome. It'll provide many rounds of great RP and I love having the lore progress as the game continues.

For all you Star-trek fans out there, anyone else thinking "Measure of a man"?

The omission of an IPC embassy wasn't an oversight, it was very deliberate in an attempt to match the lore. NT's treatment of synthetics is... well, not the best. They are practically slaves. Most humans still haven't realized that the IPC are sentient beings and treat them more like a piece of equipment. This isn't to say that this is fair or that they are correct, merely the current situation in game.

The idea of changing this in game is awesome. It'll provide many rounds of great RP and I love having the lore progress as the game continues.

For all you Star-trek fans out there, anyone else thinking "Measure of a man"?

Data trying to find his humanity as well as his legal status was one of the best story arcs in Star Trek in my opinion.

Exactly what I was thinking of when I typed that.

Yeah, a gradual thing would be good. Definitely not a one round event, but more of an arc in an attempt to see machine people recognized as a sentient species. With that said however, there are similar views on the Tajaran, but a lot of people tend to forget that they are a fairly oppressed species in corporate human society (Which has taken over a good portion of their planet) and just play them for the fur. Of course we aren't like some servers where Tajaran are excluded from captaincy due to this story point, but it's nice when at least the notion is acknowledged.

EDIT: With that said however, there being a lack of an IPC Embassy for this exact reason is actually kind of nice. Not every species should recieve equal attention. In fact Vox should be even less recognized as in, not at all (I've been under the impression the vox crewmembers are the odd ones out in their society), Mkenner pretty much described IPC relations, and I talked about the Tajaran. Not to mention that humans, and especially NanoTrasen, really don't care that much about equality. Earth is a dystopian craphole in this universe, and people tend to overlook that this setting is somewhat dire. We have planets that are nothing more than toxic waste dumps and space is dominated by ruthless megacorps. Species equality should be a far thing off, especially when human rights themselves aren't exactly the best either. Obviously the existence of embassies may signify a change, but the efforts to even warrant an embassy would be an interesting to explore.

Oh sorry, didn't see that you'd already referenced that story Fathuran. Absolutely I think it was one of my favourite story-lines too, at least in TNG.

We don't tend to enforce the lore too heavily, purely because we aim for a medium RP environment rather than a full on heavy RP. Sometimes people just want to play a dude with a tail, and putter around the research labs and that's cool with us. Personally, I try to build all of my Tajaran characters with the lore in mind and it's great to see other people doing so as well. I'll always encourage that, but I don't ever want to force it.

It's a not so secret secret, that NT are kinda shady and aren't necessarily the good guys in the lore. I agree that it isn't going to be a matter of a single grand gesture to resolve, nor can it be completely done in a single round. Much like any oppressed groups in human history, it's likely to be a generational struggle with slow moves forwards fueled by the sacrifices and efforts of multiple people.

That said, I think it's a worthy enough story element to justify devoting an entire round to the premise and while it won't change everything, it can move us either that step closer to equality or perhaps drive the opposition to stomp down more harshly (sometimes oddly enough both).

Anyway, since I am a GM level admin, I can run these events myself. So I'll definitely work out a few ideas and try to get some of these happening in the near future.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use