Telepad fire (and more)

Kluys

The current nerf of telescience (removing the freezer, scrubbers and blast doors) has done what it was supposed to do and telescience is harder to use now.

This does bring with it the fact that the fire is currently very annoying. The fire itself isnt the problem, if you are competent and know what you are doing you probably placed a procautionary scrubber in there.

the problem

The problem here is the heat, you cannot see it, the room doesnt have atmospherics or a freezer (that was removed) so the heat will never leave the room and even if you open up the door you will probably kill or severely hurt yourself (not only from the heat but also from the pressure it causes) along with possibly dangerously heating up other places if doors are opened.

possible solutions

I suggest either putting back the freezer

removing the fire in exchange for something else

or making telescience a seperate job that requires karma to unlock so the more abusive players who dont roleplay propperly and immidiatly teleport in valueable items are repelled a bit

A last more elaborate suggestion would be to add a remote controlled door venting into space and an air canister attatched to a piping system so you can vent out the warm air and add in normal air from the tank. Along with a way too measure the temperature and gas composition.

This way you will have to carefully regulate the output of the vent and from time to time you will have to go too atmospherics too refill your air tank so you dont run out.

small extra's (edit)

There are some small things i would like too suggest too

• A door between telescience and medbay since its often used to help hurt people.

• Placing a crew monitor there from the start.

Again, making telescience a seperate (karma bought) job. this could be done nicely with the two suggestions mentioned above making it a job somewhere inbetween the research bay and the medbay.

Putting a fourth sps in place since its often a hassle when you have two telescientists working. (maybe place it in the RD office and make people request it) I sometimes do this with people where one handles transportation requests while the other watches the crew monitor i usually build too see if there are any emergencies.

Adding a little guide booklet like the ones you see near the singularity and the supermatter and in hydroponics with a written tutorial on calibration and a few good reference points with their coordinates (cargobay telepad, medbay reception, brig lobby and other places you might need to send things too) I am not quite sure how the library system with persistant books works but i might start writing this myself if it isn't already there.

Edited by Guest

Sticking a station vent and scrubber in there, and air alarm, and blast doors to space would do it.

Make a button that causes the blast doors to open and the scrubber to go into panic mode, then the blast doors to close once the air alarm detects low pressure and replaces the air. Scrubber might actually be redundant.

Oddly enough I was talking with Neca on Telescience yesterday.

The coding for the teleporter has it that when the fire occurs; the room has napalm and plasma added to it, the temperature is set to 2000 degrees celcius and a spark happens. Like you say the fire itself is not the annoying part as it can be dealt with quickly via the giant scrubbers you can move from toxin storage. The temperature and pressure is the killer.

The issue with telescience is that it is rarely used to teleport victims or needed equipment. It normally gets used to teleport 'goodies' from the station and other z-levels (I will admit, once I could do it I did teleport alot of crap for personal use). I have used it as the AI as my personal death chamber as well, you can teleport antags straight into a plasma fire and watch them writhe on the ground in pain.

It was discussed that a possible 'mini-game' could be added to the system to determine if a teleportation is successful or not. This would be something difficult so as to stop rapid teleports and gathering of 'goodies'. The other possibility is that the offset for a calibration is dropped and each teleportation has a chance to be offset 1 block in any direction.

By nerfing it further, you could reintroduce the atmospheric control of the chamber back in again so the chamber could be made safe.

The issue with telescience is that it is rarely used to teleport victims or needed equipment. It normally gets used to teleport 'goodies' from the station and other z-levels (I will admit, once I could do it I did teleport alot of crap for personal use).

This is one of the main problems with telescience and i'm guessing it was also one of the biggest reasons it was nerfed.

I suggest watching telescience a little more to see if someone isn't breaking their IC knowledge.

I would not recommend making it less precise or slower since this would also damage the good things you can acomplish using it.

not only can you help the medbay by acting like a godly paramedic and helping anyone that is moving predictable enough (or not moving at all) but you can also very precisely deliver cargo, send

As an example one of my biggest acomplishment with telescience was teleporting a person out of a burning hallway by guessing where he was going to be and hitting receive at the right moment.

as i've said I think the best solution would be making it a karma job and making that job reasonably expensive (50-60 karma maybe?)

and maybe add in the rules or wiki guides somewhere how telescience and IC knowledge works.

One last thing i would like to add is the fact that i made a new "guide too telescience" and updated it too the library database. someone might want to take a look at that and add it too telescience as an item although i would recommend running a spell checker over it (dyslexia is a bitch), it has some reference points with coordinates mainly the cargo telepad, medbay lobby and security lobby. it's author for easy finding is my usual character cripty.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use