Suggestion for RnD (re: anomalies)

flimflamm

I have been a dedicated scientist for years on paradise, and it's always felt like it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi...

It's changed over the years, but it's always basically been the same old "deconstruct a series of random items to max the research levels". The current iteration of this is working well and many scientists are competent in research rather than a few scientists inevitably doing it all as in the past (this might be thanks to a few very clear guides that are available). Great! but it's still lacking something...

It's a little known fact that if you manage to get bluespace level 8, you unlock mech mounted teleporters (which were nerfed, but are still prized to own). The only way of doing this is to deconstruct a blue-space related anomaly core... This creates an entirely new purpose for anomaly cores (bluespace ones anyway), involves RNG, danger, skill, and comes with the decision of whether to deconstruct it for mech teleporters, or to use it to construct a phazon.

Being a mech user, I always leap at the chance to deconstruct a bluespace anomaly core, and it gives me a great incentive to not only see that RnD is "maxed", but to also look out for and respond to anomalies in order to get the core.

Each anomaly core has a tech value associated with the type of anomaly that it is, and each of them have tech value 7 (enabling you to get 8 if you have 7 when the core is deconstructed)...

So my suggestion is simple: add something that gets unlocked for each tech type when level 8 is achieved via anomaly cores. This will encourage scientists to do RnD quicker, to ensure it is thoroughly maxed, and to respond to anomalies. Anomalies are pretty much one trick ponies right now (a scientist who wants a phazon goes for them), and so this will revitalize them into objects of severe interest and intrigue to to the entire science department.

This is essentially a new end game for research scientists, and it's one that cannot be easily exploited given the hurtles and RNG involved. It adds variety and flavor!

Coding this should be dead simple as it's all in place aside from adding some stuff to tech level 8 in exofabs, circuit imprinters, or prolathes; but the hard part will be figuring out appropriate level 8 unlocks themselves. Xray vision implants could be placed behind electromagnetic level 8 wall (for instance), or additional rewards could be contrived and added to the relevant tech level as unlockable. Suggestions and ideas on what could be unlocked would be appreciated!

The "je ne sais quoi" of RnD feels like it would be addressed if each different type of anomaly could act as an end-game tech achievement. The RNG aspect of it (the random spawning of anomalies) will create addicts...

Edited by flimflamm

25 minutes ago, flimflamm said:

same old "deconstruct a series of random items to max the research levels".

More like, deconstruct these very specific items

26 minutes ago, flimflamm said:

This creates an entirely new purpose for anomaly cores (bluespace ones anyway), involves RNG, danger, skill, and comes with the decision of whether to deconstruct it for mech teleporters, or to use it to construct a phazon.

There is no danger from any of the anomalies if you are going to defuse them.

27 minutes ago, flimflamm said:

This will encourage scientists to do RnD quicker, to ensure it is thoroughly maxed,

RnD gets maxed sanic speeds already.

Science is the last place that needs more shit. I would love to see some of the most powerful things locked behind a anomaly research so you are not guaranteed to get your filthy meme implants 30 minutes in.

27 minutes ago, Rumiluntti said:

More like, deconstruct these very specific items

Indeed, there is currently a very narrow tech path. I was more going for the connotation of arbitrary  because there's no sensical rhyme or reason behind the current tech path; to me it's just a list of random objects...

There is no danger from any of the anomalies if you are going to defuse them.

Well, some anomalies are dangerous just to be around. The vortex one destroyes floors and exposes you to space, the gravity one knocks you to and fro. With many of the other anomalies if you show up too late (if you have to find an analyzer, generally you wont make it) then the anomaly can blow up in your face and burn you to death.

Science is the last place that needs more shit. I would love to see some of the most powerful things locked behind a anomaly research so you are not guaranteed to get your filthy meme implants 30 minutes in.

I agree when it comes to xray implants. I hate how badly and consistently they ruin antag activity. That said, I don't know what else would be worth placing behind an anomaly wall that science currently has access to.

You're right that science has a lot of stuff, so why not have the cores unlock stuff that isn't for science but rather suited for other departments? This would bring other departments in on the anomaly hunt in hopes of unlocking a relevant reward. Admittedly nothing comes readily to mind as a specific viable example, but I would agree that not arbitrarily giving RnD more stuff for the sake of more stuff would be more ideal.

Bluespace 8: Mech mounted teleporter

Electromagnetic 8: Xray implants

Any ideas for the materials, power, and plasma anomalies?

Edited by flimflamm

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use