Remove Public Defender alt title.

Streaky Haddock

Since I've gotten magistrate, I've enjoyed the job but also not understood the IA oversight. At best I think the relationship between the two exists because those two offices ended up near each other, and that most of the volume of their work is a byproduct of security's work.

Legal / IA even with the recent reforms and whatnot is still nebulous and a bit misleading, while we've tightened regulations and guidelines for things like chef, which really don't need any. A bit silly I think.

A good legal reform, in my opinion, is to add a proper lawyer-esque job, designed to be able to help magistrate deter shitcurity while not become a greytide enabler, and put that under the magistrate, then shift IA oversight to NT rep. At least then the two "minion" jobs have a boss who actually deals in the same field as their subordinated, even if their scope is vastly different (e.g. IA vs NT Rep)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Make Lawyer a separate jobslot. I think we need some defender for the crew. Besides it is ridiculous that the lawyer is under the IAA department. Because a prosecuting state attorney cant be a lawyer at the same time. This two jobs have to be separated or do we want a situation like in 3rd world countries here? 

Maybe we can add this to the Karmajobs.

11 hours ago, BiberDark said:

Make Lawyer a separate jobslot. I think we need some defender for the crew. Besides it is ridiculous that the lawyer is under the IAA department. Because a prosecuting state attorney cant be a lawyer at the same time. This two jobs have to be separated or do we want a situation like in 3rd world countries here? 

Maybe we can add this to the Karmajobs.

I'm not sure dividing up jobs is going to help in the long run, and I am against more karmajobs, especially when the Magistrate position already exists. I'd rather side with earlier ideas of removing the lawyer/defender titles and let IAA be exclusively IAA. Doing their job well should yield the same results as a lawyer would anyway: ensuring Security is behaving in accordance to Space Law and SOP, but without an overtone of being an obnoxious argumentative "crusader for justice." They are the defenders of the crew but only when Security is overstepping its bounds and abusing the rights of said crew, and any action taken by an IAA in defense of the crew should remain within the bounds of Space Law itself. If they're acting otherwise, arrest and fire them. Or just ahelp it.

Edited by TrainTN

I've said it before, but maybe it would make sense to give NT Rep and Magistrate joint supervision over IAAs, similar to how genetics is both medical and science to reflect both halves of their job.

That way the IAAs have an expert on general SOP to take issues to if the relevant head is ignoring it, and an expert on space law to alert if they see security abusing their authority or the like.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use