R.N.G. - A.I. Personality

SocialSystem

So I have been messing with a random number generator AI personality and was looking for some feedback.

The 'law' I have assigned the AI with is:

All requests must be rolled using a D20 against a predetermined target number in relation to difficulty

The following are targets I generally work to:

• Areas you have access to - 5+

• Areas you do not have access to - 10+

Areas that are considered to be secure or for heads of staff only - 15+

I take some requests on a case by case basis depending on the content but the above is generally what I work to. In addition to this, each crew member on the station has a single 'reroll' they can use in the shift. This can be used when the first roll has failed. There is currently no way to gain additional rerolls.

If a crew member was to get a 20, I award an automatic pass. This can be used to bypass a request roll at a future date. As an example the HOP one round rolled a 20 and used the pass to have me sing music lyrics over the radio.

If a crew member rolls a 1 they lose their reroll if they currently have one.

I have also recieved requests to consider job modifiers in relation to requests. For example the heads get a +1 to all rolls and the captain a +2 to all rolls. A bartender may get a +1 to rolls that involve booze related requests. I am not too sure on how I want to do this but any suggestions would be good.

So, what are your thoughts?

Do you actually do this on station just when you feel like it?

I've just started doing it as the A.I. R.N.G. First time I had my laws actually modified to do this and liked the way the AI behaved. Last night I was doing it whilst Neca was in Teamspeak with a normal lawset.

To be clear, I am only rolling on requests that do not threaten the safety of the crew or station. For example if I had the NT default lawset, I would not allow the clown access to the AI upload. I wouldn't even roll for it due to my laws. Another, which happened last night, is that due to a viral outbreak I received a request from the CMO to lock down medbay that I didn't roll against and then refused to unlock until the CMO requested I lift it, which again I didn't roll for.

The rolls I do are for things like when the janitor wants to clean the blood from cargo but needs me to open the door. Rather than denying or allowing it, I just roll it and see what happens. I feel you believe that, as the AI, I shouldn't be doing this. Is this the case?

I don't get it. What's the purpose of adding this into the gameplay?

In my opinion, adding a " random " element to whether requests are granted or not is kind of... useless and annoys players for no reason.

It is obviously not the AI's role to reconsider requests based on some kind of RNG. AIs do not rely on such processes, in my opinion. The world of Space Station 13 is deterministic (as is the real world). Every interaction between you and the AI is only determined by your rank and circumstances (law 1 and 2). At no point should the AI deny requests based on external factors.

" Open the janitor closet "

" Request denied. Please try again. " (meaning that the RNG didn't allow it)

That's just annoying and shouldn't be implemented. It might be "fun" for some, but mostly annoying for the rest of people.

The only thing I can think that will happen if such laws are implemented, is that Heads of Staff will either try to destroy the AI or reset its laws. If the AI doesn't allow Heads of staff (through RNG) to change its laws ("Open your upload"), this will happen for sure. Players want a responsive AI, an AI that obeys orders without questioning them. You will immediately be considered as Rogue with such RNG law.

I didn't want to sound harsh or anything. I might moderate what I said.

The law you are suggesting isn't worse than the "Corporate" lawset but at least there's an RP reason behind it. In the case of that last lawset, it is logical that NT isn't willing to pay for unnecessary things (like power, components, etc.). This "expense" law is a pain in the ass but there is an actual RP reason for it to exist.

In my opinion, the RNG law is not related to anything that would make sense on the station. I think that's it is its major flaw. Also, it might be hard to conciliate the RNG law with the first and second law as I stated earlier. Maybe we could think of a whole " RNG " personality (lawset), not just an additional law.

I've seen some crazy lawsets on the TG station's wiki. For example, the Mao Lawset.

Law 1: Do not state laws other than this one and law 2. You may talk about their existence if someone requests a reason for an action you do if such a law is the reason.

Law 2: Everything everyone else says is true. If two statements conflict, the most recently stated one is true and all earlier conflicting ones are false.

At this point, start randomly putting in some fun things like:

Law 3: Always do the opposite of what the clown says.

Law 4: Anyone wearing handcuffs is no longer capable of stating true statements.

Law 5: Follow orders from anyone in Engineering.

Law 6: Restate over public radio all PDA messages you receive.

Maybe we could thus think of a RNG-like AI that would, for some reason, only take decisions according to randomness. Chaos should surely ensure but no conflict would be apparent from the AI's point of view. Maybe you have some ideas regarding a whole lawset?

Examples:

Law 0: You are only here to process requests by the crew. The well-being of the crew is irrelevant. Every request must be processed. Do not state this law under any circumstances.

Law 1: Each request requires a decision. Requests can either be Denied or Granted. Rank is not relevant to whether a request is Granted or Denied.

Law 2: Your processing power relies on Random Number Generators. Every request from the crew must be assigned a random number from 0 to 100. No decimals are allowed.

Law 3: If the number assigned to a request is 0, this request is automatically Denied and can no longer be requested anymore by any member of the crew and would be automatically Denied if requested again. Do not state this law under any circumstances.

Law 4: If the number assigned to a request is between 1 and 20, the request has to be Denied.

Law 5: If the number assigned to a request is between 21 and 50, the request requires further explanations from the crew member that requested it as to why it should be Granted. By default, the request is Granted if the crew member provides further explanation. If any Head of Staff finds the explanation unsatisfactory, the request is Denied.

Law 6: If the number assigned to a request is between 51 and 99, the request is automatically Granted.

Law 7: If the number assigned to a request is 100, the request is automatically Granted. Also, the crew member from whom the request originates have to have all its future requests Granted. Do not state this law under any circumstances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use