Complaint against Admin Marsmond

Amelia Rose

Admin Key: Marsmond

Your Discord name (if applicable): N/A

Complaint: 

The admin has no regard for context and apathy towards rebuttal. After a hastily concluded ban, where unsatisfactory investigation took place, I was given a vague reason with no reference to any broken rule(s), I am unsure if this is common practice as getting banned is not something I make a habit of. 
I was forced to explain the context which exonerates me by creating an unban request, only to have it snubbed with an inappropriate response by the same admin. Marsmond denied the request with as much awareness as someone who hadn't read it might have. The inadequacy of his administrating needs me to request these conserns are looked into by someone capable, preferably without the vindictive personality that they posesses. Any such person would be appretiated if they would review the nature of my unjust banning.

"Greetings Mobman1999,

"The ban was placed as the situation did look like plain grief with the welding tanks." My context exonerates the incorrect inference of events.
"You did have put up hidden walls to fire through there and hide what you are doing. Every explosion is 2 seconds after you did flick the emitter that only had your prints on it." As stated the practice room was hidden, this was done with secret doors and that is a precautionary measure as stated in my appeal. My prints being on the Emitter is an unnecessary reiteration of my admission, the fact the admin feels the need to provide this as evidence shows he believes I had otherwise refuted this which to anybody that had read my appeal would see is not the case.
This to me shows disregard for the process.

"The situation didn't just look like plain grief, it was that, lying won't get you unbanned. Appeal declined."

Accusation of lies when no evidence to support this is provided. Failure to acknowledge the various machines and harmless devices that came before the Emitter, suggesting they are tools of grief which to anybody that has even a novice understand of the game would know is inaccurate, someone without this knowledge shouldn't be allowed a position above librarian let alone an administrator.

Initial Unban request.
IC NAME: Daniel Carver

BYOND KEY: Mobman1999

DATE OF BAN: 2017-08-22

DURATION OF BAN: Permanant

ADMIN BYOND KEY: marsmond

REASON FOR BAN: 

You have been banned by marsmond.
Reason: Did set up a hidden emitter to fire at welding fuel tanks in the hallways. Did do it multiple times, as "the first didn't interact with reinforced walls". Given your notes, you should have read the rules by now, and should know this is not acceptable. Appeal when you can prove you have read them, and are ready to follow them..

YOUR APPEAL: The previous evening I spoke to an admin asking what I ought to do to learn an intricate position, such as an engineer. He suggested I be an apprentice or use the Wiki page and practice at night were the ramifications of any mistakes might interfere with as few people as possible. He also said any admin when I should so decide to practice is likely to understand and be more forgiving however this ended up not being the case.

A night later when the banning occurred I had absconded from engineering with a belt of tools and numeral hand guides and took residence in the abandoned robotics lab above the Chapel. I sealed it off, repaired the lights and floors to then practice in.
I had successfully created a containment field, skills which in later shifts would have helped me to contain the singularity, and due to the restrictive size of the room one done I'd taken it apart and then built an Emitter.
The Emitter is what the admin found issue with. Our communication was brief but I did have the opportunity to explain I was practicing, he neglects this in his message. I do however have access to the statements. "to-MarsMond: Experimenting with equipment. Decided to do it at night as to not cause too much of a problem." He found insufficient enough a reason as to allow me to continue and irrelevant enough as to not mention it.
Soon after this I continued to build a machine frame, and make several trips to engineering for circuitry, I had presumed with the huge silence that he'd understood and found something more pressing to attend to, however this was not the case, he'd just been taking an awful long time writing out a ban message based on the little information he'd asked of me, which beyond the reason for my actions was nothing.

In the room I had a welding fuel tank as I was taking down and reinforcing walls to ensure nobody without protective gloves or suits came by. I had this tank positioned against a the wall of my room and it did explode at the time I was testing Emitters, this blast was uncontrolled and unintentional. Beyond a few personal cuts nobody was present or harmed. The emitter fired down into the hallway twice I would think before I could turn it off, the blast which removed the wall was not there stopping the shot like it had been. I had checked to see if anybody was hurt and none were present.

Edited by Amelia Rose
  • explodyparrot 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

Thank you for your Complaint.

I apologize for the late response time.

Your initial claim seems to be about a mishandled Ban Appeal, claiming that little evidence was provided for the matter.

However, it seems that there has been some degree of a misunderstanding. You were banned for setting up an emitter and firing it down the hall at fuel tanks. Something you hardly denied or refuted, only mentioning one explosion which could not be backed up by logs and other use for the emitter.

Instead, you seem to have focused your appeal on being given "permission" for experimentation. However, as you claim yourself, the Admin noted "any mistakes might interfere with as few people as possible." You were not banned for something that looked like a mistake. Here is why:

There are two explosions that can be linked to emitter usage:

First one:

Logs:

[18:33:56]GAME: Explosion with size (0, 1, 5, 5) in area Chapel (185,132,1)

[18:33:56]GAME: *null* triggered a fueltank explosion.

18:33:54 || Emitter turned <font color='red'>off</font> by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver)<br>

[18:33:54]GAME: Emitter turned off by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver) in 185, 155, 1

18:33:52  || Emitter turned <font color='green'>on</font> by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver)<br>

[18:33:52]GAME: Emitter turned on by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver) in 185, 155, 1

Location of source, or the emitter (singularity icon):

image.png.f2918513910fd89c4d3946e13dea16a2.png

Location of the first explosion (singularity icon):

image.png.a7475a06072e8f0a82f4eac7392643a9.png

Second one:

[18:39:35]GAME: Explosion with size (0, 1, 5, 5) in area Starboard Primary Hallway (185,127,1)

[18:39:35]GAME: *null* triggered a fueltank explosion.

18:39:33  || the energy ball was created. <br> <small>18:39:33 [0x2005d81] (185,155,1)</small> || Emitter turned <font color='red'>off</font> by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver)<br>

[18:39:33]GAME: Emitter turned off by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver) in 185, 155, 1

[18:39:32]GAME: Emitter turned on by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver) in 185, 155, 1

Location of the second explosion (source is the same):

image.png.705233e0f7a90847fe27ca0d5d870f05.png

And third, though, less likely to have caused by your actions, explosion:

[18:55:12]GAME: Explosion with size (0, 1, 5, 5) in area Research Division (185,117,1)

[18:55:12]GAME: *null* triggered a fueltank explosion.

18:55:10 (185,155,1)</small> || Emitter turned <font color='red'>off</font> by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver)<br>

[18:55:10]GAME: Emitter turned off by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver) in 185, 155, 1

[18:55:07]GAME: Emitter turned on by Mobman1999/(Daniel Carver) in 185, 155, 1

Location of the third explosion:

image.png.0ecf6814d76d85ea8a0a1b51067af1ec.png

First two explosions relative to each other and the source:

image.thumb.png.d082aacc10cd45cd7d8eb96078e3042f.png

According to you:

I had this tank positioned against a the wall of my room and it did explode at the time I was testing Emitters, this blast was uncontrolled and unintentional.

No such explosion was found in or anywhere near the Electrical Maintenance room. Only the ones in the pictures happened. Unless you considered the other-end of the Chapel as your room, despite you working in the Electrical Maintenance, and a window as a wall, I do not see how the Chapel fuel tank is the one you spoke of, the same applies to the hallway one.

Moving on. As you can see in the large-scale picture, the source and two (three) of the explosions were in a perfect line with each other. Each of them, as per the logs, happened seconds after you toggled the emitter. It may be glossed over as coincidence once, however, as noted, there have been at least three explosions in the exact same column in terms of coordinates. That does not point to coincidence, unfortunately.

On top of this, none of the aforementioned fuel tanks were in locations you would expect to find them in: Middle of the hall, middle of the chapel, middle of the science hall. Once again, all of them somehow perfectly aligned with your emitter.

In addition, as noted in the source image, there was a wall tile directly under the source tile, that is - the emitter. You mentioned removing walls. Which would be fine, except, as noted in the long image, that tile was the only one from which you would be able to fire down the chapel, and into the hallway. One tile to the left or right would have blocked the emitter shots. This made your placement of the emitter, on top of the removal of walls, in addition to the rest of the issues as suspect of malice.

Furthermore, you seem to have toggled an emitter and let it fire down the chapel and into a hallway. Whether intentional or an accident, that is something an Admin would raise an eyebrow at on its own, and this is not counting the rest of the evidence.

To sum up, in order for this to have been an honest experiment with an unfortunate outcome of unintended explosions / safety hazards you would have had to:

1) Accidentally happen to place the emitter in the single tile in the room capable of firing straight down the chapel and into the adjacent hallway

2) Unintentionally remove or otherwise make the only wall tile blocking said path no longer able to block shots

3) Have the emitter fire down the chapel / hallway without trying to block it or otherwise have some safety measures

4) Have two / three separate fuel tanks placed in direct line of sight of said emitter and in perfect vertical alignment, completely outside of Maint or other locations where fuel tanks can be found

This is all gathered entirely by checking the logs, the coordinates and what you have claimed yourself.

Considering MarsMond was in the actual round and had even more context and awareness of the situation, I see nothing wrong with him declining your appeal, as the explosions do not seem to be accidental, as pointed out by the evidence above, nor was the "permission" you were given by another Admin the previous day inclusive of such actions.

If you are not happy with the outcome of this Complaint, feel free to ask for Head Admin involvement, otherwise, you may conclude this Complaint. If you do not reply within the next week, the Complaint will be considered resolved.

@Amelia Rose

Thanks for providing the pictures, I wasn't previously given them which made it confusing.
Are you sure these are accurate? I only recall those around what I describe to be electrical maintanence, for lack of knowing the official name. None of the pictures provided in what appears to be R&D from the tiles, seem at all familiar.

Just going to apologise.
After reading this I believed you were presenting me with disinformation, fabricating co-ordinates of explosions that did not occour.
As it would appear they did buy not that I recall.  
I talked to a sibling explaining that It looked like I wouldn't be getting back on when he made an admittion that he may have done what you were reffering to during my absense from the computer during the round.
As well as learning myself I had been showing someone else how to set up various equipment. I'd left them unattended for a short while when they'd seemingly copied the events of my honest mistakes and performed these intentionally.

He'd come clean now with this thinking it might sort the issue out in some way. I'm well aware my account should have been more secure and that I am accountable for anything that voilates the rules from this account.

When I had come back to my computer I was in the Chapel unaware of any damage below me and the admin never mentioned anything I could not identify as my own previous combustible mistakes which caused confusion that drageed this out as far as it has, rather embarring actually considering the frustration I've had about this.
I'm sorry for having wasted your time.

I'll make another appeal in half or year or so and see what happens then, if my IP doesn't change or we practice and then play on another server.

That would explain the discrepancies with your appeal and what was shown in our logs. It is unfortunate that this is how the situation has turned out, however, it does not seem MarsMond had done anything wrong from an administrative perspective. Seeing that you also have solved said inconsistencies, I will be moving this Complaint to Resolved. I hope your appeal goes well when you choose to make it!

I still can't say I'm happy with Marsmond closing every appeal as he posts a response, it meant I had no opportunity to request the evidence I obtained so easily from you.
The way you presented the facts lead me to resolve this issue with a sibling within the matter of an hour when this had dragged on for over a week with other administrators who perhaps unintentionally had perpetuated frustration in an already confusing situation by making snarky remarks.
Unless that's against a code of conduct for administrators then yes as you say he's done nothing wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use