EMP Shielding

Streaky Haddock

EMP shielding. A damage type that is easily obtained but can't be defended against is deeply frustrating. I know that EMP vulnerability are an intended drawback to races such as IPC (which already receive 50% more brute/burn damage) and Vox (which already receives 120% brute damage). I know that there are a lot of things that IPCs are fortunate enough not to have to deal with like breathing, toxins, viruses etc but allowing players the CHOICE of protecting against physical or protecting against EMP is better than hearing peopel say 'oh great the HoS is an IPC' or, as blueshield, having your IPC CE explicitly request an organic bodyguard instead of yourself.

Please at least give me the CHOICE to not get killed in one hit through walls. PLEASE.

But you can revive IPCs by just kinda slapping wires at them and maybe whacking them  over the head with a lit welding torch... Playing an IPC comes with the sudden EMP deaths, that's half the fun. In return, you don't need oxygen.

Edited by Biabri

8 minutes ago, Biabri said:

But you can revive IPCs by just kinda slapping wires at them and maybe whacking them  over the head with a lit welding torch... Playing an IPC comes with the sudden EMP deaths, that's half the fun. In return, you don't need oxygen.

yes. one shot kills are half the fun. How could I be so foolish.

Also the ease of repairability of IPCs is a very very cold comfort when your body's in space and there's literally nothing you could have done.

Edited by Streaky Haddock
  • Like 2

Do IPCs have organs and bones and smushy bits? I know their hands break...  You just kinda... Shove legs back on. The same goes for heads.

Unless someone EMPs you while in space, they're going to have about the same difficulty as someone who has a non-IPC target. They still need to get your body, they still need to space you...

The through walls bit is the only really sketchy thing I see here.

Edited by Biabri

Just now, Biabri said:

Do IPCs have organs and bones and smushy bits? I know their hands break...  You just kinda... Shove legs back on. The same goes for heads.

OH BOY. I SURE LOVE BEING KILLED IN ONE HIT. IT'S HALF THE FUN DON'T YOU KNOW. OH I'VE BEEN REPAIRED. OH BUT I'M BLIND. THE ROBOTICIST IS NEW AND HE DOESN'T KNOW MY CHARGING IMPLANT IS FUCKED. OH AND I HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE. NO NANOPASTE? GREAT IT'S SO EASY TO REPAIR IPCS AFTER ALL. I WONDER WHY IT DOESN'T HAPPEN MORE OFTEN.

• Like 1

Malpracticebay exists. Organics understand your pain, being blind and suffering from brain damage while everyone is busy sawing off limbs by accident... Can you get diseases or bleed out? 

Do poisons work on you?

Edited by Biabri

Oh, HoS. I somehow thought we were talking about a HoP... But anyway, if you're not in your office and you're a fleshy humanoid, then they may as well just bioterror you or instant KO you with some drug... 

Edited by Biabri

I think if they've gotten to the body and you're on the floor dying in crit that's... About it....

Maybe EMPs shouldn't kill you in one shot then... >.> I just think it's nice of you to make it so I don't have to pull out the boom station damaging grenades.

Heyyy, I haven't been salty at all!

Edited by Biabri

17 minutes ago, Regen said:

My god this is one giant saltpile.

you have no idea. When I find that many mentors/admins often say 'don't play as x' or 'don't be in x game mode as ipc' then how can I not feel demoralised as all hell? How can I not be salty when I'm frequently killed by a thing that is A) A disguised ranged weapon for traitors B) Built in to changelings C) Easily produced in chemistry D) By friendly-fire with ion rifles on an extremely frequent basis and E) Easily produced by cults

It's demoralising especially when a lot of response I get is kinda sneering and feel like I kinda deserve it for being anything other than human/vulp/slime/vox/plasma. 

It feels that me being an IPC is just an objectively worse choice than any other species. For someone who loves robots so much of course I am salty. 

The thing that really really bothers me is i am HELPLESS. There is NOTHING i can do to protect against it. The only options ar dragging a locker around (which is an actual joke) and getting a mech, which isn't reliable at all.

Edited by Streaky Haddock
  • Like 1

IPC's are by default extremely poor game design, and not what ss13 is balanced around.

There is no easy fix, and what you are proposing isn't just a 5 minute cakewalk of coding. If you want a larger scaled project to redo IPC's you have to take more initiative, this suggestion has come time and time and again, and sitting on your ass whining in big bold red letters doesn't help your position.

Just now, Regen said:

IPC's are by default extremely poor game design, and not what ss13 is balanced around.

There is no easy fix, and what you are proposing isn't just a 5 minute cakewalk of coding. If you want a larger scaled project to redo IPC's you have to take more initiative, this suggestion has come time and time and again, and sitting on your ass whining in big bold red letters doesn't help your position.

well... alright then. How do I even begin to learn how to code?

The trouble seems to be primarily with EMPs... IPCs are made up of mechanical limbs to my knowledge, and EMPs really mess those over. The coding would be based around those two things. Depending on how it's coded (Whether the EMP applies burn damage to the limb or destroys it) will determine how much work that this specific problem would take to fix.

If it applies damage to limbs it could be as simple as changing the values.

If it instantly kills all the parts of an IPC... That's going to need to be recoded to instead apply damage to mechanical parts.

Edited by Biabri

i dont like the idea, if ipcs are already easy to dismember via attacks and they are literally fully mechanical so id see why emps could instantly fuck them over but that shouldnt mean much, i rarely see anyone use emps.

*as traitor Tergets are both IPCs. Get the flashlight EMP, Ko them when hiding, then go into maintenance remove the brain from the body, and then toss into space   play out round as nothing happen and win green text*

• Regen locked this topic