R&D Stock Parts printing times

Birdtalon

I recently submitted PR # 7888 which corrected a fix in the formula for calculating printing times for RnD parts. My original fix was rejected as it was highlighted that the formula was completely wrong and so I implemented the correct formula as provided by @Fox McCloud

Since the correct formula was implemented, time to print the stock parts used for upgrading the station has increased dramatically where they are now even worse than before the fix. Research and Development is becoming a pain to play and a couple of players have given me feedback that they do not wish to play the job due to the amount of time they have to wait to print parts in order to upgrade the station since my fix.

I have done some maths to calculate the time to print for some given parts below with our current variables and some things just seem excessive to me.

The time taken to print any stock part on an un-upgraded protolathe takes 16 seconds.
The lathe_time_factor to print any part is the same regardless of tech level - so basic parts take just as long as tier 4 parts.

I am submitting a PR to re balance this but I'd like some general feedback as I've already had comments from some science players that RnD has become a literal chore to print any kind of stock parts now.

My proposed rebalance PR - https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/7913

Edited by Birdtalon
Added PR link
  • Like 1

I am at the point of breaking into tech storage, stealing the lathe board (proto), the lathe board (auto) and some yellows alongside a flash (for actually making me do this) to setup a second protolathe... I use one for parts, the other to finish RnD... its painfull... its slow... its not fun at all... and I am rarely in the mood to torture myself with chores sadly. Before the time refactor parts were printed in an acceptable speed... but now when you print parts you are literally sitting in RnD together with 2 other people who want to print and all you do is complain ICly about "That POS of a machine takes way too long.". Its just really tiresome to upgrade now and I rarely see anyone doing it besides the regular suspects. And even those seem to grow more and more tiresome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use