Human Base Sprite Reshading

Puckaboo2

Would you like to see these changes in the game?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Strawpoll for those who aren't members: http://www.strawpoll.me/13578332/r

image.png.0670cb1d2ec387e57a40b6aa280ae1c3.png

I know most of these changes seem very trivial, but hear me out. Some of these changes are actually quite nice.

Let's start with the heads.

femalehead.png

This is the head of the females, but I will not show the male head comparison because it was barely modified. As you can see, I modified the blush on the south, east and west sides to make it a bit more realistic. It is mathematically shaded to blend exactly to the natural shades of the skin; as a result, the blush is not too intrusive to the overall facial features, but it is not darker than the actual skin tone, either. Additionally, I added a bit of shading to the back of the head of the females and males, while giving the males a little shiny area to their head, cuz sweg.

Let's look at the female's body, next, which I somewhat modified.

image.png.f389d503e29f75206b336abb4c6404f3.png

Nothing much changes from the front of the normal female sprites, or the back, aside from the one-pixel reduction to the side of the waist, to give a more slim appearance (it will not show under the clothes) and the shading on the buttocks. Most of the modifications appear when you turn the female to the side, because there were some anatomical and shading issues.

Just to point out, I am showing you just the torso of the before picture, not with the arms and not with the hand. As you can see, in the before picture, you can clearly see the outline of the arm (which makes it appear the arm is still there when it is supposed to be absent), while you can see the empty socket of where the arm should be. In the after picture, I resolved the issue by removing the outline of the arm, shading the side, and making the amputated arm's socket more noticeable. Additionally, I made the shading around the front and near the breasts a lot more pleasant to look at. 

And here are the male's torsos:

image.png.4f33e5847c14439b84fbde0fdf362867.png

The first obvious change is the chest from the front. Yes, the males actually have PECS, now, at least. I thought of giving them six-packs, but that would be overkill. Not much changed on the sides, aside from the change of positioning from the pectoral muscle, to mirror how it appears from the front. I patched up the shading to where you can see the indent on the sides when the arm is removed.

I also modified the pudgies, too, YAY!

image.png.d97c3657ea5b93602536e888221ca615.png

This is the female. I did not modify much of the front and the back sprites, other than smoothing out the belly, reducing the shading of the back, and making the buttocks appear more smooth and defined. Aside from smoothing out the belly, the sides received heavy modification:

The 'obvious-arm' issue was not present, but the glaring reddish blob where the hand should be, perplexed me. You should only see bare skin on waist and hip after an entire arm amputation, not a huge red blob...So, I removed it. I also fixed the female's breast to the side because it resembled a male's chest more than anything else.

And last, the pudgy male:

image.png.c00436c380d96b9296105e7c5237d18d.png

Pudgy males don't have pecs, anymore! They have bonafide, certified, moobies :) Pretty much all the changes I made to the females, I also made for the males, but I did modify the mooby to the side so it doesn't look like a slab of flappy skin and more of a massive male mammary :)

Well, that's it! I made these changes on the deformed sprites, as well. Additionally, I modified the nucleations to have the shading of these sprites, but the body shape, nuclear waste patches on their bodies, and the yellowish-tinge to their skin.

Up next (if all goes well:) Tajara!

Edited by Puckaboo2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Streaky Haddock said:

Seems alright. Have you made sure the fat bodies don't protrude through fat version uniforms?

Yes. Nothing pokes out. No part of the body, whether fat or skinny, had any of their pixels widened or modified to where they will not fit in uniforms.

I am extremely anal about positioning and layers. XD

Edited by Puckaboo2

I actually really like these, particularly the female models. While bulkier from the side, it does give more room for detail to show, and the fat sprites of both genders look much better.

(chubby but not obese sprites when ree I want diversity)

The male pecs could do with being a little subtler, and perhaps a LITTLE more detail on the torso would help - pecs and a completely featureless abdomen doesn't look as good as it could.

48 minutes ago, Hylocereus said:

I actually really like these, particularly the female models. While bulkier from the side, it does give more room for detail to show, and the fat sprites of both genders look much better.

(chubby but not obese sprites when ree I want diversity)

The male pecs could do with being a little subtler, and perhaps a LITTLE more detail on the torso would help - pecs and a completely featureless abdomen doesn't look as good as it could.

I could make the pecs look a bit lighter or add a very subtle 6 pack with it. How does this look?

fac89023d3.png

Edited by Puckaboo2

Looks great! not too ripped, any subtler would be almost impossible to actually see in game, a nice balance.

One thing that strikes me now though that I look at it again, the female from the side looks a little featureless too. Obviously, it's harder to show subtle definition there, but there should be some tweaked shading around the hips - as it is now, it sort of looks like everything from the breasts down is part of a sphere from the side.

17 hours ago, Hylocereus said:

One thing that strikes me now though that I look at it again, the female from the side looks a little featureless too. Obviously, it's harder to show subtle definition there, but there should be some tweaked shading around the hips - as it is now, it sort of looks like everything from the breasts down is part of a sphere from the side.

I don't know if I can do anything about that. I think you're used to seeing the outline of the arm on the bare torso of the female, which is why the side looks featureless, now.

It honestly does look barren, now that I think about it, but I honestly don't know what else to do.

Yeah, it's a toughie. I had a fiddle around in gimp myself to see what sort of thing might work though - this obviously would need tweaked, so I'm just leaving it as an example.

I popped up your changed model and had a look to see if I could make it look a little more detailed while still fitting with the game. Thoughts? I shaved off a line of pixels too just to see how it looked, as I felt it looked a bit better with your sleeker overall aesthetic for the females.

1. Is your version, 2. Is my example edit

qSKdM6u.png

The spine confused me so I straightened the back out, not sure how arms would look on it but I think they'd probably be fine? I tried to add the detail of the ribs and hips, as well as lighten the shading of the breasts as it looked a little like they were connected to the armpits. I tried to make the spine a little more defined but I think I fucked that one up, so I'll wait to see your take and commentary on it.

Edited by Hylocereus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hylocereus said:

1. Is your version, 2. Is my example edit

qSKdM6u.png

The spine confused me so I straightened the back out, not sure how arms would look on it but I think they'd probably be fine? I tried to add the detail of the ribs and hips, as well as lighten the shading of the breasts as it looked a little like they were connected to the armpits. I tried to make the spine a little more defined but I think I fucked that one up, so I'll wait to see your take and commentary on it.

I understand exactly where you are coming from; the overall shape of the back and the waist is honestly exactly what my old sprite looked like--before the maintainers rejected it...which why I kept the body shape similar to the original, even though I feel the modifications looked better.

My goal is trying to not dramatically change the overall shape of the sprite, which is what the maintainers pretty much rejected all of my sprites for. Although I do agree your changes are more anatomically correct, I can't risk making the changes you suggested in fear of rejection.

Edited by Puckaboo2

Boo! Why'd the maintainers decide that? Removing four pixels won't mess up clothing, nothing pokes through.

Oh well though, if you tried it already I suppose that's all there is to it. I think a liitle waist definition would be possible on the "okayed" model but if the powers that be don't want significantly noticable changes I'm not even sure what to do.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 5:16 AM, Hylocereus said:

Boo! Why'd the maintainers decide that?

The problem is, I don't know. All they said was that my models were inferior. They wouldn't tell me what about or why,  other than 'a professional said they were inferior,' which I find very rude as someone who has made small rpg sprites and shaded for almost ten years.

On 8/1/2017 at 5:16 AM, Hylocereus said:

Removing four pixels won't mess up clothing, nothing pokes through.

Removing the belly pooch will leave a gap between the stomach and where the little sliver of the hand that partially hides behind it. That said, I do not wish to modify the overall shape of the model...for reasons I've already stated.

I'm thinking about putting the changes on GitHub, but I am not sure, yet.

20 hours ago, Hylocereus said:

> inferior models

> Current/release vulpkanin heads

Maintainers, input please.

I am in the process of editing the final changes to the sprites before I post them on Github.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use